Sponsored by:

V1 alram and Audi Q7

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 03:00 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
The new instant on radars are making the V1 obsolete anyway...except for those areas where the police haven't upgraded and are still using older technology.
Obsolete? No. Vastly reducing your 'safe space'? Yes.

The instant on still emits radar and your detector still will pick it up. If you are the first car in the pack when they trigger, yup- problem. Don't be the rabbit all the time.

I am still curious as to the admissibility of the data with 'instant on'...has this been fully settled?

Finally, I have not heard of any states deploying instant on radar...but I rarely look past CA anyway....

A
Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

So Audi designed a driving enhancement that basically interferes with the owners ability to utilize most any radar detection product?
......and that also causes the rest of us to dislike Q7s that we come across on the open road
Do I really have that right?
If so.....sure doesn't seem to be the smartest thing Audi's ever done...at least from the marketing side.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adam: What do you see as the issue related to "admissability"? I don't believe there's any stipulation or statute that negates the use of Instant-On....usually the defenses when they first came out were centered around the calibration of the device and complaints that "you tagged the wrong guy...it was the other car not me".

More and more L/E agencies are going to them...so if there was an admissability issue, I dont' think they'd be selling them.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:20 PM
macchiles
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dock
V1 attributes story...

I was driving on an Interstate with a couple of other cars around when we approached a bridge spanning a river. There was an officer on the near side of the bridge using full time-on K-band radar. My V1 alarmed in plenty of time and displayed a "1". I slowed down to legal, and just after passing the officer...the V1 still blaring and the "ahead" arrow switching to a "beside" arrow...I looked over as the V1 alarmed again, this time showing an "ahead" arrow and "2" in the count window. I had just thought about getting back up to warp speed as this occurred, but I stayed legal. On the other side of the bridge there was another officer shooting instant-on radar at cars coming over the bridge...trying to hide in the energy of the other officer's full time-on radar and hoping to catch those speeding back up after passing the first officer.

Arrows and bogey counters are a GOOD thing.
Well said and very true

Quick Reply: V1 alram and Audi Q7