Sponsored by:

Clutch or everse Gear Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009 | 05:46 AM
isseps
Advanced

Smile Clutch or everse Gear Problem?

Hi,
I just bought a 2004 996 TT cab with the x-50 option. I picked up the car from the porsche dealer last week. It is a CPO with 25,000 miles. It is a great car, big improvement over my first Porsche turbo in 1977. Today I was backing up into the garage and I noticed that the car was moving with difficulty. I also noticed a little bit of chattering. I had to keep the RPM higher in order to release the clutch without stalling the engine. Should a week old CPO car with 25,000 miles act this way? Also, my forward gears have absolutely no issues. The first is nice and smooth and other gears are changed effortlessly and it is a joy to drive the car.

I also like to know if there is a problem with the clutch, would it be covered under the CPO warranty?

Thanks,
--mm
Old 05-25-2009 | 01:09 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

The turbo has a power assisted clutch, Lots of people have difficulty learning the feel of it. Give it some time to get used to hte feel of the clutch.
The disc it self is not covered by any warrenty cpo or factory.
Old 05-25-2009 | 01:28 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Does it have any mods? Like maybe a Lightweight flywheel? (LWFW). Firehawk is right...the clutch is considered as a "wear item" like brakes, light bulbs, hoses, and belts...but it is something that if the clutch is going bad, should have been caught by the dealership prior to the time of sale...this is going to set you back about $2500 if you can't get them to deal with it...how long ago did you buy it? You said you just bought it...and the new CPO warranties are supposed to be more stringent than the old ones.

My clutch went out at 32K miles after had the car flashed. If you're running stock, you shoulnd't be experiencing a bad clutch with 25K miles. Did you have them run the computer to see if you have any Type II over-revs? That should have been part of the CPO warranty check-out. Ask for a printout of the service history and PIWIS or PST2 data. Porsche dealerships can run your car computer's history and see a LOT of information about how it was run...even to the number of hours when an anomaly occurred.
Old 05-25-2009 | 03:04 PM
isseps
Advanced

Thanks for the replies guys -- The car was purchased on 5/16/09. It's all original, no mods. I had them dump the ECU data and there were 81 level 2 redlines. I asked if it was ok to certify the car with those numbers, they (including the factory) said that the redline data is not included in the certification consideration. However, I had the Porsche dealer (probably the biggest in the US) sign the pre-existing data sheet for me to keep. After I wrote the original post I kept reading some of the other posts and realized that other people had the exact same problem. They said that the reverse gear was (taller/shorter?).
Thanks,
Michael...
Old 05-25-2009 | 09:07 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

A "CPO" car is just any old car that a Porsche dealer paid to get the PCNA warranty. I think people really buy the advertisements wherein they talk about 'only the best get CPOd' and 'we meticulously inspect and refurbish the cars'....

There can be lots wrong with CPOd cars- aftermarket shifters, flashes, blown synchros, 2nd gear pop outs, etc.

Always, never rely on only the CPO inspection by the selling dealer...

and very,very wise to have the selling dealer sign the DME dump!

A
Old 05-25-2009 | 11:34 PM
isseps
Advanced

Adam, I totally agree with your assessment of the CPO and the dealers. I didn't buy this car simply beacause it was certified. You got to see this car. It's a one owner, sold and services at the same dealership. There is not a scratch on the car inside or out. I went around the car with a paint meter and it all checked out. I spent 1/2 day with the mechanic at the dealer and looked at the car inside and out. I even talked to the director of the CPO program at Porsche and told her about the level 2 redlines. She said most cars have it and it's easy to get them if you miss a gear. In any case, it's only money and so far so good. I actually really enjoy the car.
Thanks,
--mm

Quick Reply: Clutch or everse Gear Problem?