Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 TT oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:53 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

No expert here, so I will state MHO. Oil in Porsche has multiple uses...one is to act as a lubricant (doh)...as temperatures rise the lubricating properties are directly related to the viscosity (i.e., higher viscosity, better lubrication....at higher temp.). However there is a dilemma...when do you want the lubrication to be best? (e.g., when is the wear on the engine the greatest?) When the car is starting...the lower viscosity at start helps to lubricate better (so that's why we have multi-grade oils).

The second purpose of the oil in a Porsche is to act as a coolant...another dilemma...the cooling properties are inversely related to the viscosity (higher viscosity lower cooling properties). So there goes the arguments:

1. You want best lubrication at start....lower viscosity
2. You want better lubricating at higher temp....higher viscosity
3. You want better cooling at higher temp....lower viscosity
4. Which oil is best for you is a compromise for your driving styles (track/street), environment (ambient conditions), maintenance budget (a track junky should be budgeting to replace components sooner than a street driver), factory recommendations, tuner recommendations, internet site opinions, etc.

So it is all about compromise...now back to the arguments...

Cheers
Old 05-31-2009, 07:40 PM
MBailey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No arguments here. Summer is long and hot here. Winter is short and mild. Thus I use M1 5W-50.

Quick Reply: 996 TT oil