Sponsored by:

Blew a boost hose now boost/idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Blew a boost hose now boost/idle issues

OK, While getting the 996GT2 prepped for the 2009 OLOA I got on it and the clamp broke where the boost hose mounts to the turbo. Fixed the clamp but now it is not running correct. High idle 1200+ rpm, max boost is only about .8 bar, (should be 1.2 with the GIAC tune and GMG exhaust). Took the diverter valves apart and they look good, greased them up while they were apart. Could not find any obvious vacumn or boost leaks. I can't listen for leaks as the car is kinda loud @ idle

Ideas Ferris Bueler, anyone.

Peter
Old 04-24-2009, 04:22 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any codes in the ECU?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:35 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Yes, check engine light. I don't have the durametric reader and the car is @ the dealer, for the 2nd time. I am not faulting the dealer or tech. After the hose blew I took it in had it checked. After clearing the original codes and checking it over, test driving it twice, the tech said come check it out. He did say he thought the idle was a little high. I test drove the car and went into boost a couple of times and no issues. Sort of hard to test boost as it hits triple digit speeds in a hurry and I don't need any tickets. 1.2 bar and idle was around 900 rpm. Off to CMP for a test day and the issue of low boost and high idle reappeared.

My main query was if anybody had had a similar problem and what was the cause. I did ask the tech to smoke test the system for leaks.

Peter
Old 04-25-2009, 01:17 AM
MBailey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is probably another clamp getting ready to let go that is only leaking now. Get tech to do a pressure leak test. Have him put slightly more pressure than your car typically boosts then listen for leaks or add smoke and look for them. Many leaks will be missed without pressure. I would also find out the exact code from the tech.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MBailey
It is probably another clamp getting ready to let go that is only leaking now. Get tech to do a pressure leak test. Have him put slightly more pressure than your car typically boosts then listen for leaks or add smoke and look for them. Many leaks will be missed without pressure. I would also find out the exact code from the tech.
Yes, a pressure leak test is one the agenda. I should know the code/codes Monday.

Peter

Quick Reply: Blew a boost hose now boost/idle issues