x-73 Suspension vs Others

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:40 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
Default x-73 Suspension vs Others

I am thinking of upgrading the suspension on my 2005 TT-S. Anybody have experience with the X-73 optional suspension? No track time for me so I don't need adjustability and would rather have a little smoother ride then the PSS -9/10's may offer. But I do want to get rid of the SUV look - take it down to ROW height or perhaps a little lower. Thoughts, advise are all appreciated.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Ralph, I'm still looking at your 993 in the avatar.....beautiful....but assume that's not what we are talking about....looks great though (unfortunately I totalled mine in a track incident last year
Per the X73......are you running standard OE suspension now?
For what it's worth....the chart I reference in my garage has the X73 running 35-40mm lower than U.S. OE in the front.....and 25-30mm lower in the rear (using the standard suspension measure points).
This definately would get rid of the off-road look.....only the GT3 was lower in front out of the box. Keep in mind it would not be adjustable....so what you get, you get. Some of us set our cars up lower than that (with adjustables) but not by much.
Pics I've seen of X73 set-ups always look good.
How would cost compare to just going the coil-over route?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gregg - I have the standard OE suspension now on the 996. Cost difference is only about $200 less for the X-73 then the PSS-9's. I have the M030 ROW with HD Bilstiens on the 993 and have been very happy with that set up for the past 5 years. I was just trying to stay "stock" Porsche with the TT. It is not so much the $$$ as it is the idea of staying stock. I am not going to do this switch until Oct or Nov of this year - just doing research now. Thanks for you thoughts and advise.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

I really like my X-73 suspension. It is no question a rougher ride than OEM, but the car is now much better planted, and better handling. It looks better too.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:35 AM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the X73 for a couple years now, I very much like the balance of the setup. I usually spend allot of time of getting the suspension sorted out, but this was plug and play, no adjustments needed.
For me, it was the right height, right stiffness and comfort, oh you also get is stiffer motor mounts with the kit although I have already upgraded to the even stiffer RS mounts.

For what you are looking for, I dont think you can go wrong.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:13 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation I've had both.....

I was an "early adopter" of the X-73. I found it to be too stiff. I converted back to stock and later upgraded to PSS9's. Either system is not cheap. I'd highly recommend a ride in either or both before you place and order. The PSS9's are firmer at the track than stock, yet more comfortable on the road than stock. My shocks set at 4F / 3R are very comfortable and the adjustment to stiffer setting takes all of about 40 minutes, most of that time removing and reinstalling the Bose subwoofer. With the adjustable spring perches, you can set the ride height the same as the X-73 and corner balance the car in the process.

YMMV

Cheers,
Old 04-26-2009, 01:55 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The ride of the x73 is significantly stiffer than a pss9 car. Probably would noot be my choice for a street only cab. Phenominal performance on the track.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the X-73 on my 2005 996TTS for 40k miles now. No question it's a stiffer ride but I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:49 PM
ikold
2nd Gear

Am considering the purchase of an 05 Turbo-S Cab. Would appreciate your opinion on the car and what to look for, what to avoid, and if anyone knows of a good PPI in Albuquerque!

Can you talk on a cell phone with the top up? How bad is the road noise, that is one thing that is driving me torwards perhaps a coupe.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 02:32 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi - I have only had my 05 TT-S for about 2 weeks, so my input is a little limited. I also have a 97 993 cab which I have had for more then 7 years. So far the car exceeds my expectations. It is a Tip and so is different then the experience one would have with a 6 speed. I am getting older (retired etc) and so I like the idea of a super car without the hassle of shifting all the time. I live in the metro Washington DC area and traffic can be a nightmare at times so the Tip is a nice thing to have. I have been using it in "manual" mode - i.e. shifting with the toggles on the steering wheel - and I kinda like that - still gives one some control without the hassle of a 6 speed. The car is totally stock and still has a nice sound to it when the top is down. You can easily talk on a cell with the top up at 70+ mph and you can talk with the top down at the same speed but it is a little hard to hear. By the way I have the wind deflector and that helps a lot - I would recommend getting one if the car you are considering does not have one.
As to a PPI in the Albq area - try Hans Wittler's Automototive - 505-294-7684. I lived in Los Alamos for several years (about 5 years ago) and they are very good - did the suspension on the 993 - good prices and very good work. If you need more info or have other questions, send me a PM. Happy motoring!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 AM
MGS996
Racer

Very happy with my X-73 suspension. A few pics showing ride height :

Last edited by MGS996; 04-28-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: x-73 Suspension vs Others