Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choice of tires for Eastern Virginia winters – kinda cold but…

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:40 PM
asgor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choice of tires for Eastern Virginia winters – kinda cold but…

Eastern Virginia resident here, lurking and learning about my next car.

Having soaked up all the knowledge (well… most of it!) that is being exchanged in this forum, I’d like to ask a question about tires. Not that this topic hasn’t been covered in the past (!), but I think I’d like to add a certain twist that – I believe - hasn’t yet been fully explored.

Specifically, the weather in the location where I live provides very hot summers and relatively cold winters (with highs often in the upper 20s), and the obligatory 2 or 3-inch snowfall twice a year (or so).

As I know very well the general consensus in this forum about the inadequacy of all-season tires (besides none are offered in this vehicle’s factory sizes), I would like to ask if, given the circumstances I described, summer tires would still make sense all year round. Keep in mind that the 911 Turbo would (will) be my daily driver. Don’t summer compounds turn quite hard and relatively unmanageable below freezing? And what to do about the few snow days? Admittedly there are too few of them to justify winter tires, and I can’t really envision mounting winter tires on this car to carry me through the cold season just in light of relatively low temperatures and the occasional snow fall.

What to do?

Last edited by asgor; 03-26-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: mispelled subject line
Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I drove my car on an icey/snowie road when I brought it home from Charlottesville to Spotsylvania Va. 2+ years ago...

My son with his RX7 a few days later had to come get pics with both cars...

This car is very neutral in nasty weather. I have found that, ground clearance being the only limiter, the car handles adverse weather just fine with Michelin Ribs, or with Pzeros. Just drive with some sense about you!

Mike
Old 03-27-2009, 06:18 PM
DublinOh
Instructor

Mikelly is huge on these forums (is that you or your son?) But I had a very different experience on Michelin ribs. I was caught in less than an inch of snow and could barely get home. ABS and PSM were going nuts, etc. If this is your daily driver don't you want to be really ready for the road? Wintersport 240s on a second set of wheels will out handle summer tires in 20 degree weather, out stop them, they are quiet, 2-3 inches of snow is not a problem at all and save your more expensive summers for when they really work...IMHO. and all due respect to Mikelly.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

It's my oldest son...

I had no issues, and my car is far from stock in power and ride height. I was "careful" but the only place I had PSM/ABS activation was in the driveway... On the roads it was fine... I've only driven a few times in snowy conditions, but I thought the car was much more stable than other sports cars I've driven in adverse weather.

Mike
Old 03-27-2009, 11:04 PM
DublinOh
Instructor

My car is a tip...maybe thats a factor?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Don't know, but my wife claims that I'm full of **** and the car was looser than I remember, so hey maybe she's right...

Maybe the right answer IS a second set of wheels with weather friendly tires!

Mike

Quick Reply: Choice of tires for Eastern Virginia winters – kinda cold but…