Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering whine and CPO

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009 | 11:39 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Default Power steering whine and CPO

I have the power steering whine and CPO does not want to pay for the repair. i have seen others on here that had theirs replaced under CPO. Mine is a 03 and I only have 2,500 miles on the car and CPO will not cover this. Is this just a issue with the X50 as mine is the X50 or all turbo's? What has to be replaced? I already filed a claim with them and they opened a case and still will not cover this. I know times are hard for them but it seems they are just trying to get out of anything they can and I feel they should step up to the plate and do the right thing. I understand they have changed the CPO to a better one for the newer cars and if the old one was so bad they should go back and pick up some of the things the old one did not cover. JMO Anyone had this replaced with the older CPO please let me know.

Thanks
Jack
Old 03-18-2009 | 12:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

When you purchased the car, did you receive a (hardcopy) of the CPO?
Can you ask your dealer to produce a CPO document for your car (assuming it is different from the one listed on the Porsche website)?

Perhaps their position is that the pump has not FAILED, therefore it is operating within 'normal' limits?

Ask them EXACTLY why your claim has been dismissed.
Old 03-19-2009 | 09:22 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by whiteturbo
Is this just a issue with the X50 as mine is the X50 or all turbo's?
No all turbos
What has to be replaced?
Power steering pump. follow itc's advice, and add that this is a potential safety issue as the fluid is highly flammable. Also get the TSB (it is posted in other threads). Mine was replaced under warranty.GL
Old 03-19-2009 | 10:04 AM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Default steering

What warranty replaced yours? I still think CPO should cover this.
Old 03-19-2009 | 03:59 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Bill: You should have a new car by now considering all that's been replaced under warranty. Sort of a bionic specimen by now? You definitely got your money's worth out of the warranty. Do you have an extended warranty?
Old 03-19-2009 | 06:06 PM
GBG
Pro

The issue is the power steering resevior. Tell your dealer to check TSB
1/05 44897. It should be covered under CPO.
Old 03-19-2009 | 06:41 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Bill: You should have a new car by now considering all that's been replaced under warranty. Sort of a bionic specimen by now? You definitely got your money's worth out of the warranty. Do you have an extended warranty?
No just the regular warranty...I have had the following replaced under warranty:
1. front differential
2. Power steering res
3. 2 fuel lines
4. 3 fuel pumps
5. Nav system
6. O2 sensor
7. 2 Mafs (others were not covered)
8. coolant cap
9. Alarm immobilizer unit
10. headlight sensor
11. PS hose

Last edited by wross996tt; 03-22-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2009 | 09:27 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

I called Porsche today and they refuse to pay for this. HATEFUL lady. I have had aftermarket warrantys and they have been very good about paying. This CPO has not been much help.
Old 03-20-2009 | 11:26 AM
ait109
Advanced

I'm going to be bringing my car to have this work done soon as the whine has just turned (yesterday) into a steering groan along with uneven clutch feel.

Is there any other work that is convenient to do in conjunction with this?

Ed
Old 03-21-2009 | 02:28 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

I called Porsche today and they refuse to pay for this. HATEFUL lady. I have had aftermarket warrantys and they have been very good about paying. This CPO has not been much help.
You need to be more rigorous with your approach.

Calling a lady "hateful" seems to indicate a fairly naive concept about pressing this legal issue.

Someone else told you to get a copy of the CPO contract- do it. Calling Porsche and arguing with them on the phone will not do.

Once you have the language in the CPO and determine the defect should be covered, write a demand letter- cite the CPO document, the events with your car, the prior porsche TSB on this issue, and demand that they fix this safety issue. Fax it to them.

No more phone calls.....

IMHO

A
Old 03-21-2009 | 09:16 AM
whiteturbo
Instructor

I did have the post for the TSB but i can't find it. Anyone know the link for it?
Old 03-21-2009 | 12:03 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

I did have the post for the TSB but i can't find it. Anyone know the link for it?

search works really well
Old 03-21-2009 | 02:35 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I see it's worked well enough for 169 views so far....
Old 03-21-2009 | 05:04 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

I was the first to post about this noise years ago before anyone noticed it. I have taken my car to the dealer and they have not acknowledged the sound as "not able to reproduce the sound."

My car still makes this noise, now out of warranty. What exactly needs replacement? Someone mentioned that they had this fixed from the dealer but the noise soon returned.

Does anyone know the exact cause of the noise and if it's addressed will it just return.
Everything feels fine and functions perfectly, is it even worth addressing?
Old 03-21-2009 | 09:49 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Oak, I know I have posted exactly what the dealer replaced somewhere...basically it is the power steering pump. They have an updated one. IMO, you should get it replaced per the TSB as there is Pentosin used in it and that is highly flammable...if it goes it could be bad. I remember reading many moons ago about one guy getting it fixed and the sound came back, but that is not typically the case. And did I say it makes mad power...LOL

Quick Reply: Power steering whine and CPO