Sponsored by:

Got mods done on the ECU, V-Flow, And Mass Air Flow Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:08 AM
TurboBill911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got mods done on the ECU, V-Flow, And Mass Air Flow Sensor

I sent my ECU off the Evo Motorsports to get a remap hp flash, bought a stage 2 cluch from them(stock one was slipping sometimes and incase I ever want the bigger turbos), aluminum diverter valves, hitachi Mass Air Flow senstor, V-flow air intake and the pipes are Tufi(or something like that that were on the car when I bought it).

The Evo guys think I should be at around 450 to the wheels when the car is finished. Does that sound right? What is the stock RWHP on a 996?

I am excited after I get it done I am going Viper hunting.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:21 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Must be a tubi exhaust:
http://www.tubistyle.it/
Where are you?
Congrats on the mods!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
BMo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboBill911

The Evo guys think I should be at around 450 to the wheels when the car is finished. Does that sound right? What is the stock RWHP on a 996?

I am excited after I get it done I am going Viper hunting.
Considering typical drive-train loss of 20%-25% for an AWD vehicle stock AWhp would range from 310-330hp. The mods sound nice!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:55 PM
TurboBill911
Advanced

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Must be a tubi exhaust:
http://www.tubistyle.it/
Where are you?
Congrats on the mods!
Yea, that's it tubi

Bmo thanks. I am excited too other than not having my car for two weeks while the stuff is being installed.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why the hitachi MAF?

Sounds like it is a K16 with an exhaust and a flash.

Intake, diverters, maf, clutch, all add zero HP when the underlying 'air pump' isn't moving more air.

Now add bigger turbos and more fuel and those items will be necessary.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

What stage EVO flash is it?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 PM
s14roller
Racer

Adam is right about the hitachi maf...I have an EVO GT700 kit and I havent gone that route yet since the car runs great as is...altho it could be better with the hitachi.

As for the V-flow, not sure if it's the same for turbo cars (mine just has a green filter) but my 996 NA car would run into MAF problems with that intake...
Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 AM
TurboBill911
Advanced

Dock, stage 2 evo.

I thouhg when you had the vflow the hitachi MAF sensor was needed.

I would like to get the bigger turbos but can't justify the money right now. I will drive this for a while and if it ain't enough I will upgrade turbos later. I just thought the ECU flash and vflow would take the boost from 1.0 to 1.2 or something like that.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:18 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBill911
Dock, stage 2 evo.

I thouhg when you had the vflow the hitachi MAF sensor was needed.

I would like to get the bigger turbos but can't justify the money right now. I will drive this for a while and if it ain't enough I will upgrade turbos later. I just thought the ECU flash and vflow would take the boost from 1.0 to 1.2 or something like that.
AFAIK...The ecu flash is part of the equation for boost. The other "significant" parts are exhaust and wastegates. I found the intake has less to do with boost per se. Bill, you are partially correct about the H-MAF....many folks blew MAFs (me included) when using the V-flow. The H-MAF was an attempt (not suggesting it was not successful BTW) to "fix" the blown MAF issue.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:46 PM
TurboBill911
Advanced

Originally Posted by wross996tt
AFAIK...The ecu flash is part of the equation for boost. The other "significant" parts are exhaust and wastegates. I found the intake has less to do with boost per se. Bill, you are partially correct about the H-MAF....many folks blew MAFs (me included) when using the V-flow. The H-MAF was an attempt (not suggesting it was not successful BTW) to "fix" the blown MAF issue.

So when you say "attempt" will it still blow the hitachi one too? Man,I hope not I am ready to drive this sucker.

Which btw I just got it back and feels a decent amount faster. When I get the money I am going to the larger turbos. Btw do the larger turbos cost you gas mileage?

Also I have notice I not getting the ABS and PCM warning lights when I nail it in 4th or 5th. Either the hitachi MAF sensor fix that or the new diverted valves. I can't understand why porshe doesn't put the aluminum diverter valves on stock. I will post some pics of the v-flow next week. See ya'll later time to go haul *** in the TEXAS hill country awesome twisty roads what these cars were made for.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you plan on going over 600 HP....you should be just fine with the stock intake and filter....I have never blown a MAF with my stock unit.....do you suppose that's why Porsche designed them that way?

It seems that a lot of the performance enhancing doo-dads are really not necessary as you start off...you need a plan for where you intend to go and progressively work that direction. When you just start buying "stuff"....in many cases, it's really not needed until you reach a certain threshold. That allows you to sort of amortize your costs over the long haul rather than forking out money unnecessarily prematurely.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

My '05 996 TSCab has the EVOMS kit. I first jumped up to stage 4 with stock (Bosch) MAF and EVOMS' V-flow, blew one MAF, the next year I jumped up to their GT700 kit, blew another stock MAF again with the EVOMS V-flow, then swapped out the MAF to Hitachi, keeping the V-flow in, and so far no blown MAF. Car also hits peak boost more reliably.

However, after my warranty runs out (this coming July), I am thinking of having Protosport do another jump in power on it next winter, necessitating engine mods., of course, but I love what Protosport has done with my 993TT (they are working on "stage 2" on the 993TT as I write this with plans to get over 700HP), so I am tempted to go further with the 996TSCab.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds nice. The Hitachi MAF is mandatory if going to bigger turbos. Much higher resolution at bigger power, therefore tune does not have to be as rich as when a stock MAF is used and AFRs are being calculated by your O2 sensors, as opposed to air being metered by the MAF, like it should be. Enjoy!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 AM
TurboBill911
Advanced

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
My '05 996 TSCab has the EVOMS kit. I first jumped up to stage 4 with stock (Bosch) MAF and EVOMS' V-flow, blew one MAF, the next year I jumped up to their GT700 kit, blew another stock MAF again with the EVOMS V-flow, then swapped out the MAF to Hitachi, keeping the V-flow in, and so far no blown MAF. Car also hits peak boost more reliably.

However, after my warranty runs out (this coming July), I am thinking of having Protosport do another jump in power on it next winter, necessitating engine mods., of course, but I love what Protosport has done with my 993TT (they are working on "stage 2" on the 993TT as I write this with plans to get over 700HP), so I am tempted to go further with the 996TSCab.
How much hp do you have now? You have already installed the bigger turbos right? And did you also change your intercoolers? How is it? Like crazy fast or what?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 AM
timbo300
Track Day

hey men,

what is the part number of the hitachi maf u are using ?

Quick Reply: Got mods done on the ECU, V-Flow, And Mass Air Flow Sensor