Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need 996 TT warranty advice...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Dr.D
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far, no problemo with fidelity. They even paid for rent a car while my car was in the shop.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:40 PM
josserman
Instructor

wondering if I should look at platinum or if one of the lower versions is good enough...haven't gotten prices yet but would much rather spend 2500 instead of 5000
Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 AM
monabaker
Pro

I am also seriously considering one of these. I just feel like I know so little about it.

Is an inspection required prior to purchase? Do I need to bring the car to the Porsche dealer when I get it?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 AM
fstede1
Instructor

Yes dealer will require that they do an inspection. Negociate inspection price. You don't have to take car to dealer for repair.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2009, 02:02 AM
dtmarsh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr.D
I have a 2002, purchased warranty for 4 years, 90,000 miles at a cost of $5000. This is the platinum warranty and covers everything including car rental. Cost is higher because of model year.I wanted the peace of mind. These are cars that are fun when you push hard. Had to use warranty 3 times and the cost of repairs was well over $15000, so in my case well worth it. Its also important to know/have a shop/mechanic that has dealt with warranty claims,makes things alot easier.To me its like having car Insurance. You dont wanna wish you had it when things go wrong.
I can top that by a mile. In 05 I bot my 01TT used with a 4 year/60k mile warranty. Items covered 100% except $100 deductible on each:

1) Brand new 2004 (not rebuilt) crate engine from factory, w/ labor, $30K
2) Spoiler motor assembly, w/ labor, $1500.00
3) Clutch accumulator w/ labor $1500.00
4) Flywheel w/ labor $1200.00
5) Right front suspension assbly w/ labor $900.00
6) Brand new transmission from factory w/ labor $12K

I'm still under covered by that warranty that cost me $3k until July of this year.
So far, it's paid for almost $50k and I have almost a new car!!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:31 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

3) Clutch accumulator w/ labor $1500.00

You/your warranty company got ripped off there, the accumulator costs $105, labor is like 2hrs ($200). Still I think having a warranty on a used car is a good idea
Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marsh: Do you track that car? That seems like an awful lot of major items to replace....hell, they replaced the entire drive train. What sort of shape was that car in when you bought it? Did you have it run thru a PPI check? I'd say you got your money's worth, but am surprised they haven't cancelled you with all those claims. I'm also surprised that they didn't question a $1500 claim for an accumulator...an easy one hour job simple enough for a DIY project. That company will go broke if that's their policy for approving claims. Bottom line is that it's great for you.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:18 PM
dtmarsh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Marsh: Do you track that car? That seems like an awful lot of major items to replace....hell, they replaced the entire drive train. What sort of shape was that car in when you bought it? Did you have it run thru a PPI check? I'd say you got your money's worth, but am surprised they haven't cancelled you with all those claims. I'm also surprised that they didn't question a $1500 claim for an accumulator...an easy one hour job simple enough for a DIY project. That company will go broke if that's their policy for approving claims. Bottom line is that it's great for you.

Chuck, It's a long story. I bot the car from a non-official Porsche dealer who was close to the Porsche dealer in that town, who in turn agreed to sell me an aftermarket warranty after doing a PPI on the car before I bot it from the other dealer. The car had problems when I bot it and it turned out that the official dealer really didn't inspect the car before they sold me the warranty. They thought the other dealer had inspected and signed off on the car. Drove the car home 450 miles back to CA and took it in to my local dealer who said the good news is it passed smog; the bad was it needed a new engine, which was just the beginning. Warranty company tried to cancel and everything hit the fan. My first Pcar and it was a nightmare that finally worked out well. I think you might be able to still read my threads on 6speed titled The Porsche From Hell. But I named names and so they may have deleted them. The whole thing was quite an experience. But the car is perfect, now.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 PM
dtmarsh
Advanced

Chuck, also, I have one track day on the car and it had 12K miles when I purchased.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Now it makes sense....you sure lucked out on that one. You essentially have a new car under that body. I wonder what the previous owner did to that car's engine and transmission to make them into a pile of scrap metal? Do you have any of the history of that car? It would be interesting to know who or how they managed to wreck as much as they did in 12K miles. Sort of makes you think..."drive it like you stole it"....maybe they did. Doesn't really matter....you've got a fresh everything now.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:10 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dtmarsh
Chuck, It's a long story. ..... The Porsche From Hell. )
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...tml#post499647
Old 01-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Ok...my curiosity got the best of me and I went and read the whole thing....Marsh ought to be a screen writer..he knows how to bring up the suspense....set the timing of the sequels just right so you look forward to the next installment and have folks begging for more. BUT....I thought in one of the followup posts he said the motor AND transmission had been replaced. I didn't see any reference to the tranny....not that I want to add to the drama of a movie we've already seen....but I was under the impression the entire drive train had been replaced.

After reading the story, it appeared that the originall seller never sent in the money to UU for the warranty until after the stuff hit the fan. Sort of makes you wonder what the intent was all along. The rep these cars have for being "bullet proof" makes it unlikely that many folks would ever file a claim...quick money for someone if they had no intention of forwarding the $$. They wouldn't be underwriting these 996TT's if the incidence of failures was so frequent that it became unprofitable. Glad to see it worked out for Marsh....too many times the insurance companies find some rediculous excuse to void the warranty. That's what you have to expect though....these companies stay in business by denying claims, not paying them. Something to think about before you buy a policy. It's not only the exclusionary language in the policy, but also how long they've been in business....they fold up like an arab tent overnight and move on to open up under another name. Ok..."arab tent" is politically insensitive....how about Boy Scout tent?
Old 01-25-2009, 02:34 AM
dtmarsh
Advanced

Chuck, the new engine went in right after I bot it in May 2005 . The new tranny went in last summer, long after the initial disaster. It reallyl was a nightmare.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 AM
dtmarsh
Advanced

I just updated my avatar and decided to use a pic of the new engine that was installed. I entered my car in a concours and won first place. The judges commended me on having such a clean and new-looking engine for a car 5 years old. I just couldn't bring myself to tell them that 3 weeks ago the engine was wrapped in plastic inside a wooden crate from Germany.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Was the transmission covered by the warranty as well? Since it went out sometime after the initial warranty fiasco, were you still covered or had it run out? I think a tranny fix it around $7500? Was this related to second gear pop out or other issues?

Quick Reply: Need 996 TT warranty advice...