Sponsored by:

Help! no power steering and stiff clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 AM
mungwi
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! no power steering and stiff clutch

Help!! My baby is bleeding!! I purchased my 2001 996 turbo about 2 months ago, with 28xxx miles, after a major service replacing all fluids, replaced 2 lower rear control arms (worn bushings), clutch accumulator, everything's been running fine. Tonight, returning from a 10 day vacation, I took the car out for a drive after warming up the car for about 10-15 minutes. I drove for 2-3 miles and as I was making a u-turn, I heard a loud popping noise (sort of like something plastic had snapped, I thought I had just run over something on the road, would be my best attempt to describe it). Soon after that power steering stopped as I noticed an increase in steering effort. At first I thought I had a flat tire, so I pulled over and checked but tires seem ok. So I started driving home, and the clutch assist stopped (actually prefer this more than the assisted type). After getting home (about a 1.5 mile drive), I checked the car more closely and there is large amount of liquid leaking underneath, seems to be originating from the front driver wheel well.

Now from this description, can anyone tell me what might have been the cause? Failed power steering pump or maybe just a line/hose that came loose? Is it possible that I have done irreversible damage by driving it home instead of calling a flatbed?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts

Have the car towed to the shop. You need a real slave cylinder. It has failed and forced the fluid held in the power steering reservoir into the front hydraulic clutch master cyclinder, over-filling it.

Do not put anything other than Pentosin fluid in the car. Also, never drive the car if you think you have a leak, as you described. Pentosin can be highly flamable.

The parts cost about $300 thru most of the vendors here and Suncoast in Florida, and you should expect about 3 hours labor.

Mike

Quick Reply: Help! no power steering and stiff clutch