Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to tell which flash you have if there are no stickers on the ECU....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Integrity??? Good old fashioned integrity??? Adam, sometimes I think that's like looking for the lost city of Atlantis. It might have existed at some time in the past....but it seems like pursuit of the almighty profit has sunk the concept the same way Atlantis went. Without positive and aggressive protection, you're essentially hanging out there until such time as someone decides to take advantage of the loophole. Then you have no where to go....
Old 11-16-2008, 12:48 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

adam_ - - good point.

I just want to be clear. I do not condone copying anything.

Pulling a file from my current ECU and flashing it on other ECUs is NOT ok or legal.

Selling my current ECU is my business providing I chose to and I could quite frankly care less if a tuner cares or not.

The fact is:

#1. I'll likely not figure out which software it is, so there will be no market for it - obviously no one is going to buy some random chip without knowing which tuner's code it is.

#2. Even if I do figure it out, I'd need to find someone with an X50 who wants a flashed ECU - pretty small market.

So, most likely, I'll just flash over the current file.

My main question was - is there a way to find out what it is?

I certainly didn't mean to bring up a hot topic. My stance is: NO ONE will EVER get sued over selling an ECU with software on it they bought.

You will get sued if you try to pull the file off, copy them and burn to others' ECUs.

Your last comment of: "I'd never copy this stuff" implies I was thinking about copying it.

I was not.

Quick Reply: Is there a way to tell which flash you have if there are no stickers on the ECU....