Sponsored by:

Clutch Slave

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Clutch Slave

I had the clutch accumulator replaced as it was diagnosed as bad. (3 weeks ago)

While at the track this past weekend, the clutch pedal would go hard 5 out of every 10 times it was depressed.

My Question:

Is the slave the issue and it was simply misdiagnosed by the dealer?

Thanks in advance … H_D
Old 11-11-2008, 11:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Normally the slave and accumulator are both replaced at the same time (parts are inexpensive and while you're in there logic....)
Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Normally the slave and accumulator are both replaced at the same time (parts are inexpensive and while you're in there logic....)
Understood...

The question, however, was given the symptoms, does it sound like the slave is in need of replacing or something else?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since the pedal isn't going soft, that pretty much rules out needing to (re)bleed the line.
So, it does sound a bit like a slave cylinder at this point.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Since the pedal isn't going soft, that pretty much rules out needing to (re)bleed the line.
So, it does sound a bit like a slave cylinder at this point.
50% of the time the pedal is soft.

Yes, I am trying to determine whether it's just in need of a bleed or slave replacement.

The reason I question whether it's a bleed issue is the dealer I used didn't seem to bleed anything... I asked for a brake fluid change and learned they just siphoned out the old and filed reservoir with new Motul. The stuff in the calipers was never flushed and the brake pedal when to the floor after four or five laps. Of course, once I bled out the calipers (10 to 15 pumps each screw) the brakes were serviceable for the weekend.

H_D
Old 11-11-2008, 01:47 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

find a new dealer..shesh....as far as the accumulator....IMO....it is on its way out....may last for a while, but the signs are there.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
find a new dealer..shesh....as far as the accumulator....IMO....it is on its way out....may last for a while, but the signs are there.
Agreed about the dealer ...

Maybe you missed my first post... The accumulator is only three weeks old. So I wonder if:

a) it's the slave

OR

b) the dealer just didn't bleed properly?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is really only the two components involved in the hydraulic part of the system, so logic dictates slave is going out. I know there is a bleeder nipple on the slave, so I guess you could try bleeding it? Not sure of the proper procedure though, so can't help you there.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bos
There is really only the two components involved in the hydraulic part of the system, so logic dictates slave is going out. I know there is a bleeder nipple on the slave, so I guess you could try bleeding it? Not sure of the proper procedure though, so can't help you there.
Appreciated ... I now know more than I did...

I'll speak with a different shop and see about trying the bleeding first. Can't hurt.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:09 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Given what appears to be this dealers ability to bleed hydraulics, I would strongly recommend having both circuits bled elsewhere. I hope there is a simple solution for you!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Given what appears to be this dealers ability to bleed hydraulics, I would strongly recommend having both circuits bled elsewhere. I hope there is a simple solution for you!
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:47 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Agreed about the dealer ...

Maybe you missed my first post... The accumulator is only three weeks old. So I wonder if:

a) it's the slave

OR

b) the dealer just didn't bleed properly?
OOpps...yeah forgot which thread I was reading...it happens at my age. I would have the clutch bled as you say...by someone else, first.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a situation recently where i almost had to release the entire clutch pedal before the clutch would engage. the pedal feel was a little stiff, but not bad. turned out to be the slave cylinder. i also had the accululator replaced some time back as well. btw the slave cyl was replaced under the cpo warranty at the dealer.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts

I'd get that addressed before another track event... I "think" I've damaged my master cylinder due to excess pedal force required while we were "waiting" to get the parts in... I'll be replacing the clutch and brake masters over the winter anyway, but just realize if you let to much pressure build, and then force the pedal, you can damage the master as well.

Mike
Old 11-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'd get that addressed before another track event... I "think" I've damaged my master cylinder due to excess pedal force required while we were "waiting" to get the parts in... I'll be replacing the clutch and brake masters over the winter anyway, but just realize if you let to much pressure build, and then force the pedal, you can damage the master as well.

Mike
The clutch pedal is fine on the street. It's only once we really heat things up on the track that the pedal then starts to get hard every other shift.

Quick Reply: Clutch Slave