Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agency Power or GHL exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 AM
mpclimber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full disclosure: I own a speedtech exhaust. I have spoken on the phone to John and I provided before and after dyno results to the forum when I installed his exhaust. Kevin and I have no relation, but I've often said on the board that his technical know-how is obviously second to none.
Ok, now that I got the disclaimers out of the way. I just wanted to add one more conisderation to the table.
The price, admittedly, was a consideration point for me on the Europipe, but what really sold me on going Speedtech was the fact that Europipe weighs more than the stock exhaust whereas the Speedtech is about 20lbs lighter. The opportunity to shave about 25lbs off the J-lo *** of this car was worth, to me, any incremental reduction in flow vs. a europipe. Your mileage may vary.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:49 AM
RDF16
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love to find a used Europipe but you could wait years. Fab says 55 hp for
my Turbo S, B&B seems to sound better on the onine clip, etc.. How about
something with no drone good power and deep non raspy sound?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

EPs are a work of art, just so damn expensive!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes....Surgeon I would agree that they are expensive....but if you were to figure in all the various doo-dads folks buy to try to increase their performance in increments of 10-15 HP (some just hype) by installing other expensive products advertised to lower your spool time, increase HP, faster off the blocks, enhance the looks with CF spoilers or interior pieces etc....you could fairly quickly come up to the cost of a set of EP. If you stake out the for sale threads, you can find them...might take a while, but they're there. We spend a LOT of money on our cars often for frivilous items, so it seems sensible to invest in a product that has known and established benefits as Kevin pointed out. I was impressed by the Tech specs on the Europipe website....and combined with some additional research and supportive comments from folks who own them, that did it for me. The combination of the EP, new diverter valves, wastegate kit, and a good tune...all in concert, seems to maximize the hunt for bolt-on performance. Now I have to admit that I've left out the suspension....which is an important factor I haven't yet addressed.

Please don't take this as a put-down for other similar products...it's strictly an observation about the issue of expense versus benefits of a given product.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:52 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

I was a few days away from buying a speedtech- indeed I'd traded emails with John on details- when a lightly used EP2 Loud popped up on ebay for $3699. Bought it within hours of posting.

I am not capable of discussing the techical merits, but how about this analogy: That 'thing' that makes a Porsche a Porsche, that makes us choose it over a viper or a corvette, is what led me to a EP over all others. As with many products it comes down to intangibles and the incremental gains at the 99+ percentiles.

I also like the idea that Stefan laid his hands on my exhaust, that I spoke with him, that he conceived and designed the product. There is a certain 'integrity' in that whole thing that I like.

But I coulda lived with a ST.

A
Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Mr C
Intermediate

This whole talk about Porsche tax makes me think about one thing: what if someone got a chinese engineer to simply copy the way a good German engineer like Günter Mandl at Sportec modifies our cars programming, and that for a really cheap price? Would you trust your 30+k engine with someone who has never seen such a car in the flesh or who has never owned one?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM
MGS996
Racer

I’ve said it before & I’ll say it again….the Europipe exhaust is an engineering work of art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTYC2NHVrqM

Old 09-25-2008, 10:13 AM
RDF16
Advanced

5K+ for 17hp? I don't know, Fabspeed might be lying to me but they offer 55hp for 3.5K

RD
Old 09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

The whole issue here seems to be price....there appears to be no question about performance, quality, build, sound, or functionality. It simply boils down to whether you wnat to spend that much money on what has essentially been touted as one of the best built exhaust systems around. This is not intended to infer that they are 5-10-or 20% better than a competitor's product that sells for substantially less.

Europipe stands on its own merits which have been demonstrated and exhibited by technical and performance data as well as customer satisaction and pictures which depict metallurgical art...They admittedly cost a bit more. Those are some simple facts you either choose to accept or reject in favor of a less expensive system. There really needs to be no argument that one is better or worse. Just look at the facts and make a selection.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RDF16
5K+ for 17hp? I don't know, Fabspeed might be lying to me but they offer 55hp for 3.5K

RD
If you're looking for HP gains JUST from the exhaust, and that's all you expect of it, EP is very expensive. I doubt any exhaust by itself will provide 55hp (that's over a 10% gain from stock. I don't think Porsche left 10% "on the table").

I was looking for:

Better Sound
ABSOLUTELY no drone
Increased HP due to Exhaust + Chip Tuning

I selected EP based upon these criteria and their reputation. Was it cheap? Hell no. What part of Porsche Performance did I think would be cheap? Now I could possibly have gotten any 2 of my 3 criteria with something other than EP. But I wanted all 3 (over 18 months ago) and EP was the answer. Compared to trading my 996 for a 500hp 997 ($70K + my car) the EP and tuning set me back $8K. I couldn't be happier with the results and plan to keep my car indefintely.

Just one man's opinion....
Old 09-25-2008, 03:35 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
The whole issue here seems to be price....there appears to be no question about performance, quality, build, sound, or functionality.
I don't agree. As I mentioned above, WEIGHT is an issue (and consequently performance and functionality).
Old 09-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by mpclimber
...but what really sold me on going Speedtech was the fact that Europipe weighs more than the stock exhaust...
My Europipe weighed the same as my OEM exhaust.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by mpclimber
I don't agree. As I mentioned above, WEIGHT is an issue (and consequently performance and functionality).
You can tell a difference in performance after reducing the exhaust weight by approx. 20 lbs?

And what does weight have to do with functionality?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:19 PM
RDF16
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
If you're looking for HP gains JUST from the exhaust, and that's all you expect of it, EP is very expensive. I doubt any exhaust by itself will provide 55hp (that's over a 10% gain from stock. I don't think Porsche left 10% "on the table").

I was looking for:

Better Sound
ABSOLUTELY no drone
Increased HP due to Exhaust + Chip Tuning

I selected EP based upon these criteria and their reputation. Was it cheap? Hell no. What part of Porsche Performance did I think would be cheap? Now I could possibly have gotten any 2 of my 3 criteria with something other than EP. But I wanted all 3 (over 18 months ago) and EP was the answer. Compared to trading my 996 for a 500hp 997 ($70K + my car) the EP and tuning set me back $8K. I couldn't be happier with the results and plan to keep my car indefintely.

Just one man's opinion....

55hp is what they quote for a TT S with the K24s. Who did you get your
ecu/tune from? B&B quotes a peak of 45 for TT and average of 24 across
the band. FVD says about 20+. FYI.

RD
Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dock
You can tell a difference in performance after reducing the exhaust weight by approx. 20 lbs?

And what does weight have to do with functionality?
A lighter car is a better performing car.

Quick Reply: Agency Power or GHL exhaust ?