Conti Sport Contact 2... Need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:09 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Conti Sport Contact 2... Need feedback

Hi,

I need to replace my tyres and according to TIRE RACK (no affiliation) the OE tyres are BRIDGESTONE POTENZA S02 and CONTI SPORT CONTACT 2

What scares me of the S02 is the treadwear, too low...

But the Contact 2 has 280 treadwear and I am not sure if this tyre has nice grip ?

I would appreciate your comments on this matter, thanks !
Old 09-20-2008, 09:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Grip and tire wear are diametrically opposed...soft compound tires grip well but wear quickly; hard compound tires grip less and wear less quickly.

FWIW, I like the Contis on my 996TT and I also run Conti TS snow tires on my other cars....have always had good luck. No problems with balancing, wear, etc.

Of course, like oil viscosity, tire preference is always good for a couple of pages.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:45 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My car came originally with the Conti's and I replaced them last year again with the Conti's and really like them. To me they are a good middle of the road compromise between grip/price/longetivity. In other words they are not the cheapest tire, they are not the best perfoming tire, and they don't last the longest, but they are pretty good in all those categories. They certainly are much quieter than the Pirellis on my last car. And holy crap did those wear out fast.

But as ITC said...you will get pages of opinions on tires.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, the Conti compound seems to be closer to plastic than rubber. You can feel it with your hand. I found the Contis to have very poor grip.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:25 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

My 964 had always S02 Bridgestones..up to that day, when a friend of mine recomended the Toyo's...since then I always tried them.

my 996 C2 always had conti's. 4 sets.

now my 996 TT has pirelli;s but I found them very noisy. I will go for Conti's again....

harris
Old 09-22-2008, 08:26 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slant911
My car came originally with the Conti's and I replaced them last year again with the Conti's and really like them. To me they are a good middle of the road compromise between grip/price/longetivity. In other words they are not the cheapest tire, they are not the best perfoming tire, and they don't last the longest, but they are pretty good in all those categories. They certainly are much quieter than the Pirellis on my last car. And holy crap did those wear out fast.

I totally agree...

h
Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slant911
Opinions...more like a 'jihad'
Old 09-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I had them on my old S4 and didn't like them. Around town they were OK, but didn't have the best grip. I took them to the track once and they were awful. They were quiet - until the screamed at the first hint of a corner on the track!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put Bridgestone S02s on the 993TT.........had Pirelli PZero Rosas.................not cheap, but I like the grip. I've got S02s as well on the S2.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:42 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Um, check out the Sumitomo. I have them on my 996TT and love them. Had the Contis for all summer.... Slightly less of a curb rubber protection bit on the HTRZ III's, but otherwise, the sumi's are superior to the conti in every way, including wear IMHO.

See the threads here on sumitomo htrz III (not the II's, the III's!!!).

6speedonline has a thread too. John D (founder of rennlist reviewed the Sumi's on track as an instructor...not a bad tire. No R compound tire for sure, but for anything legal on the streets, they are superb...and quiet).

Jeff
Old 09-27-2008, 12:04 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I've gone thru the Pirellis, 2 sets of Contis, and now on Michellins. The Contis are quietist, have good tread life (a relative statement), are not very good on track (readush), and cannot be driven in slush or snow. Of the three mentioned, I prefer the Michellins, but late in their life the noise is significant. AS

Quick Reply: Conti Sport Contact 2... Need feedback