Sponsored by:

Safe Upgrade Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 PM
gheyland
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe Upgrade Recommendations?

Hi, I'm new here so go easy on me. I'm sure this has been discussed on many threads. I did search, but I'm not overly familiar w/ the site.

I was getting ready to upgrade my 335i to an M3 when I realized I could get a nice, used 996TT for the same price. Took about 19 seconds for me to change my mind!!

Just curious though, what are some "safe" or "safer" ways to add some horsepower to the 996TT? What can be done with a chip, plus what are some other not so outrageous upgrades that you guys would recommend? I'm planning on keeping it for a LONG time, so I want to take care of it, but I also want to have some fun doing some mods.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First just drive it for a while till you start getting used to the inherent power...then most folks go straight for the flash or "chip" as you called it. Although the flash is a quick way to get instant performance enhancements, some folks recommend building it like a house....start with the foundation or suspension, then go up from there. The prices on flash performance (you can either send your ECU out and have it reprogrammed offsite....or buy the type that they send you a little device that plugs into your OBD port and you have a simple set of instructions that downloads the new file to your ECU..I prefer the latter rather than having to take out the "brain" and mailing it out). Then you can upgrade your diverter valves (most recommend this right off) and upgrade your wastegates....That's the less expensive way to go....OR you can buy the various "stage" kits that start around $5K and go all the way up to $20-30K and require you essentially rebuild your engine and suspension. That usually requires your car to be sent to a tuner who keeps it for a couple weeks and essentially follows the theme of "I bring you the boy, you give me back the man"...and you end up with a 600-800 HP kick butt serious piece of machinery.

Just off the top of my head...the basic and "safe" tunes run from $800 to around $2,000 depending upon the tuner...add in a set of diverter valves for another $250-300 and some wastegate upgrades for another $300 for the kits, if you're satisfied with the turbos you have you can stop there or upgrade the turbos...and here you have to do some research to see what the options are. You can buy the TT with either the K16 turbos, or spend a bit more and get the X50 that has the K24 turbos which are the same that the GT2 runs. Insofar as "safe" goes, I'm no expert, but the folks I've talked to say that as long as you don't want to the fastest on the block, a tune of around 500-550HP to the wheels is pretty "safe"...otherwise you have to start doing work on the internals and the prices go up comensurately.

Be aware that if you buy a car with a warranty and you do some of these performance enhancements, you can void your warranty....but the returns are .....bitchin'.....

Have fun....but seriously...take your time on these mods....at least six months to read up on what they really do...what is eye candy and faddish as opposed to what really works. There are many claims that certain mods will add 12, 14, 25, or more horses....but in reality, the fastest part of them is the speed with which the VISA transaction occurs. Sit back, relax, take your time, read, and ask questions first...then do your mods. You can send personal messages (PM's) to various guys if you don't feel comfortable asking in the open forum. Watch who writes what and seems to know what they're talking about. It will become readily apparent...kuz some know less than I do...and I don't know very much.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would keep it stock for awhile, specially if you have any CPO or extended warranty...

This will give you time to see if there is any basic maintenance that needs to be done first before you start the slippery slope of mods...

Then, just to make it sound right, I would do the exhaust.

After that, a call to Kevin (UMW) will put you in the path to 996TT nirvana....

Brakes, suspension, it is all downhill from there...

Enjoy!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

None
Zero
Nada

Until you can drive this car at its limits, there is no logical need nor reason for mechanical upgrades.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:55 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First thing you need to do is get over to 6 Speed online and read the posts there. There is a lot of helpful information with a completely different opinion from those found on this site. Research who you want to buy a tune from. Note that after you buy a tune, clutch, diverter valves, exhaust(I'd buy a used one) and pay for labor, you'll be spending atleast $5000.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TXGold
There is a lot of helpful information with a completely different opinion from those found on this site..
I'm not surprised.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ltc
I'm not surprised.
Is it weird statements Friday? Wow

I am on both forums... and that comment to go to 6speed because is better? wow... different opinions, yes, but better... hummm...
Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
None
Zero
Nada

Until you can drive this car at its limits, there is no logical need nor reason for mechanical upgrades.

damn Lewis that was my answer
Old 09-12-2008, 04:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
damn Lewis that was my answer
In that case I defer and yield the floor to Tom
Old 09-12-2008, 04:34 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Is it weird statements Friday? Wow

I am on both forums... and that comment to go to 6speed because is better? wow... different opinions, yes, but better... hummm...

Better for info on pushing the envelope and mods.

Rennlist for an underpinning of sanity!

A
Old 09-12-2008, 10:46 PM
gheyland
3rd Gear

Hey thanks for the great info guys. The idea at starting with wheels and suspension is a great idea. That's kind of what I was thinking. My hp goal would be 500 to 550 as well, which seems like it would be pretty easy to do. Not in any hurry to get there though. I've had a few turbo cars before and know that the flash tuning can do a lot. I just wouldn't want to put too much pressure on the turbos. Like I said this will be a long project. I'm planning on keeping the car for a very long time. (Ha!! I've said that before!).

If any of you have any suggestions on suspension upgrades ( I love a very firm ride and great handling) and which flash to use, I would love the hear about them if you have the time.

Also, are brake upgrades common or are the stock brakes good enough?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Gheyland is a really awesome and amazing name too. I smell bull****.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

If you must mod... And apparently you must...

Brakes

then

Suspension

then

Call UMW and speak w/'kevin... 500-550HP is but a credit card transaction away.

Mike
Old 09-13-2008, 01:55 PM
gheyland
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TXGold
Gheyland is a really awesome and amazing name too. I smell bull****.
I'm just trying to get some info here.

As for everyone else, thanks for the good info.

Quick Reply: Safe Upgrade Recommendations?