Sponsored by:

After 36k miles my first CEL

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Quicksilver01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 36k miles my first CEL

Out of nowhere, the " drive to workshop" message pops up.
Local indy reads the code and tells me it is O2 sensor related.
He suggests that due to the hot and humid weather we are experiencing, this might just be a fluke. He says the poor air quality has effected other cars. He resets the light and I drive off.

Car feels fine until I go WOT in third. I am showing .7 bars ( Stock k16's with an old fabspeed). Suddenly, the car stops pulling hard. I shift to 4th and punch it. .7 bars and full power. Now I can't stop thinking about it. I try it again. All is well.

I wake up this morning, warm it up and go out to punch that throttle. Same dead spot under WOT- this time in both third and fourth gears. Is this what happens when your 02 sensors go bad?

The CEL has NOT come back on since it was reset. Any thoughts or advice?
Old 08-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the same issue happen to mine ( Stock k16's with Gen3 fabspeed). ... local Porsche dealer did a reset, told me which O2 Sensor gave the fault, and I drove off... lasted a year without coming back. A few months back CEL came back again, same sensor, we did a reset just to validate... sure enough, a few hours later it came back on. Replaced under warranty (CPO).

During that year after the reset I did not notice any difference... could it be you have a separate issue?

Pretty sure someone else will chime in.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pre-cat O2 sensor is used to titrate the air/fuel ratio over time (long term fuel trim), whereas the post cat sensor is a check to ensure the CAT is working. Having a bad pre-cat o2 might create issues....

Which one was bad based on the code?

(Ya gotta get real codes when you post this stuff...many guys here can give you pretty good advice with definitive codes. Even if you'll use an indy, it can save $$)

How many miles on the plugs? Any mods other than exhaust?

A
Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without the actual fault code anything is just a wild guess...
Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Quicksilver01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_
The pre-cat O2 sensor is used to titrate the air/fuel ratio over time (long term fuel trim), whereas the post cat sensor is a check to ensure the CAT is working. Having a bad pre-cat o2 might create issues....

Which one was bad based on the code?

(Ya gotta get real codes when you post this stuff...many guys here can give you pretty good advice with definitive codes. Even if you'll use an indy, it can save $$)

How many miles on the plugs? Any mods other than exhaust?

A
Thanks for the tip. The plugs were done at the 30k service 6k miles ago (according to the stealer). No other engine mods on the car.

Quick Reply: After 36k miles my first CEL