Need Help with Moton Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Moton Springs

I'm reviewing the springs that I currently have vs. those that were suggested to me by Lex @ Moton USA (for use with Moton Clubsport). Lex suggested a range for street driving. At the aggressive end of the range was the following:

Front Springs: 6" @ 450 lbs. (4" or 6" suggested - what's the diff?)
Rear Springs: 8" @ 650 lbs. (6" or 8" suggested - what's the diff?)
4 x Tender coils @ 175 lbs.

TIA, Mike
Old 07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

What make of springs should I use? I think H&R have an inner diameter of 2.25", which I understand to be fine, but Motons also accept 2.5" inner diameter. If I have 2.25" inner diameter and want to go to 2.5" inner diameter, do I have to change any other parts? Is there a bennifit of 2.5" vs 2.25" springs?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike when GMG installed Motons on my car they strongly recommended that i stay away from H&R's springs. It was a while ago and my memory is a little blurred but i believe it had to do with their unpredictability. They recommended Eibach's instead.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Mike, I hope all of your issues have been ironed out. I just picked my car up finally yesterday from GMG and the guys crew re worked and re set the entire suspension and the car feels good and solid, good starting point. I went with H&R slightly heavier sprung with around 900 rears and 700 fronts and 150 helpers. I am double checking my spring rates as they feel somewhat soft for these rates. If these are the correct rates I think I may go heavier next time.

Man, It has been along and weary road. All I can say is I am stoked I got my car back! Time to start tinkering!

Thanks to Lex and Fabryce for all the support.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Mike, the 2.25 diameter sizes offer more options.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Mike, I just got confirmation of my spring rates;
120nm fronts - 686 lbs
160nm rears - 913 lbs

I went with 2.25 diameters w/ 150 lbs tenders.

Hope this helps
Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oak
Hey Mike, I hope all of your issues have been ironed out. I just picked my car up finally yesterday from GMG and the guys crew re worked and re set the entire suspension and the car feels good and solid, good starting point. I went with H&R slightly heavier sprung with around 900 rears and 700 fronts and 150 helpers. I am double checking my spring rates as they feel somewhat soft for these rates. If these are the correct rates I think I may go heavier next time.

Man, It has been along and weary road. All I can say is I am stoked I got my car back! Time to start tinkering!

Thanks to Lex and Fabryce for all the support.
Oak, glad to hear you went with GMG. I just dropped my car off there Tuesday.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wayne. Glad to see you and your car have reunited! Thanks for all your help with the springs. Lex @ Moton has been awsome.

I've finally figured out what I have:

Front: 2.5" I.D. @ 450 lbs. 40lbs. helpers.
Rear: 2.5" I.D. @ 850 lbs. 50lbs helpers.

What difference would a real tender coil @ 150lbs to 175lbs make, relative to my flat, light helper springs?

Thanks. Mike.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:28 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Mike, helpers are just to assist spring seat during recoil and not really necessary at all. It will not affect the compression and recoil of the main spring. just about any spring rate 50-150 won't make a huge difference for helpers. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Colby, I think I saw your GT3 parked outside late Tues night when I went back to GMG to pick up my delivery van. What are you having done? Motons?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:34 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oak
Mike, helpers are just to assist spring seat during recoil and not really necessary at all. It will not affect the compression and recoil of the main spring. just about any spring rate 50-150 won't make a huge difference for helpers. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Colby, I think I saw your GT3 parked outside late Tues night when I went back to GMG to pick up my delivery van. What are you having done? Motons?
The Silver one in front? That was mine.

Motons, i wish. Wont be good enough for Motons for another 3 maybe 4 years. Found that out the hard way with my Turbo... They were absolutely brilliant but my capabilities were no where near exceeding the RUF 9's i had on there prior.

For now i'm doing mostly safety stuff. Custom half cage, euro seats, harness, toe links and hopefully a custom exhaust (i'm keeping my fingers crossed)

Glad to hear everything worked out ok. Hopefully i'll see you around the street of OC or Willow some time in the near future. It was your Turbo after all that started my love for Porsches.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:42 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

colby, nice, that was yours! why did you sell the turbo?! seems like yours was set up nicely. probably just as quick or quicker than the GT3 on the track they way you had it set up. no?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:16 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oak
colby, nice, that was yours! why did you sell the turbo?! seems like yours was set up nicely. probably just as quick or quicker than the GT3 on the track they way you had it set up. no?
Ya, full stage IV Moton suspension, ECU tune, Brembos and E88's. Pretty sure in the hands of a more capable driver that thing would be faster than most equally prepped GT3's.

It was more about the driving experience. I wasnt a huge fan of the AWD handling characteristics of the heavier Turbo even with Motons. Most likely due to my lack of experience, the limit was always unpredictable. And while the car was always extemely planted, I could feel the weight in corners (weight is a huge vice of mine) and never quite knew when she'd give way. And i didnt feel like i could control the car with throttle as well as i can with the GT3, most likely in due to less weight and RWD. Within the first minute (no kidding) of recieving my GT3 I was getting sideways extremely comfortably, something i could never do in the Turbo. I could hold the slides much easier and much longer. Probably not the best for the track (the car needs an alignment bad) but extremely fun nonetheless. I also really like that there is no sound deadening so you can not only feel but hear everything.

And i've always been more of a N/A guy. Dont get me wrong i absolutely adored the power of the Turbo (that boost gave me chills up until the day i sold it), but my first love so to speak has always and forever will be high reving N/A motors. Especially higher hp ones that sound as good as the GT3's! IMO it doesnt get much better than reving that race derived motor up to 8,200 rpms.

Anyways, if you've never driven a GT3, which i doubt, you're more than welcome to meet me at GMG later this month and take her out for a spin. Drive wise it will be pretty close to perfect especially if i can get Fabryce to throw in an alignment and custom exhaust which would effectively be the crescendo to the GT3's symphonic experience! Either way, i hope to see you around Oak!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

colby, I hear ya on the driving experience. I'm just an old hack getting my licks in when I can. No visions of grandeur kneedling a nimble 3 through perfect apexes side ways. I like the sure footed feeling of the awd esp in the canyons. Once you get used to muscleing it around and using the torque to your advantage it's very capable on the track for a hack like me.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oak
colby, I hear ya on the driving experience. I'm just an old hack getting my licks in when I can. No visions of grandeur kneedling a nimble 3 through perfect apexes side ways.

Originally Posted by Oak
I like the sure footed feeling of the awd esp in the canyons.
With out a doubt. All of my hard driving was done through canyon and the Turbo was amazing! I definitely had a lot more confidence in high speed sweeps b/c of it.

Originally Posted by Oak
Once you get used to muscleing it around and using the torque to your advantage it's very capable on the track for a hack like me.
I couldnt agree more! In fact i know of a couple GT2's that can easily hang with Cup cars. Honestly i think it just boiled down to preference. I'm not looking to be the fastest guy out there, probably b/c i know i wont be, just a punk kid looking to satisfy his insatiable desire for adrenaline.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
Mike when GMG installed Motons on my car they strongly recommended that i stay away from H&R's springs. It was a while ago and my memory is a little blurred but i believe it had to do with their unpredictability. They recommended Eibach's instead.
This does not make any sense with all due respect to GMG!

I have been using them for many years, at the track and street, they are fantastic. Countless racing teams use them around the world. Maybe the margin form selling them is smaller, that I don't know.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Moton Springs