Sponsored by:

996TT help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:49 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996TT help!

For the TT guys, I have owned a 02 996 C2 for 2 years. I was able to do all the maintenance work myself so I am kind of familiar with these cars. Things have changed and now I am in the market for a TT. I found a very good priced 01 TT with 36k miles. My question for you guys is what things go wrong with these cars? and what are the avegrage costs of ownership (spark plugs-other? my C2 had the engine replaced under warranty, are the TT engines so much better than the C2s? I am planning on keeping the TT for a very long time and probably keep her stock, I just wanted to know how different it would be compared to her N/A sister..
Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 AM
puma
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didn't hear a lot of people blowing tt engines, only thing that needs to be replaced is the diverter valves which cost around 300 when you upgrade, other than that, it is a really relaible car and it is not harder to work on those than the C2 i guess, if you are used to having no space to work, same thing here. spark plugs are a bitch to change but then again, you don't do those often. You can do the oil change yourself pay 1/3 of what the dealer ask for the same job.

so far, all i have put is diverter valves, did an oil change and i am about to change the plugs because i don't know when they were repalced last time. Put some fuel in it and you are ready to go. read a bit on 6speed and do some research, plenty of threads about common problems on the tt.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Where are the diverter valves? does anyone have a pic? are they a DIY job?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 2 engines are VERY different.

M96 is a wet sump, the M64/GT1 derived lump in the back of the 996TT is a dry sump.

The M64/GT1 lump in the 996TT (and GT2 and GT3) has a long history at Porsche; unfortunately it's days are numbered (bean counters).
Old 07-08-2008, 12:39 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

I am aware that the engine in the TT is the "Real Deal" thats why I am considering investing in it.. I am not only looking for a faster car (it doesnt hurt anyways) I am looking for a P car I can keep for many years and take care of and not worry about major failures..
Old 07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a DIY thread that you can follow for the DV replacement. The job is not hard, but you need small hands and some long curved needle nosed pliers to get it done. It's about a 1 1/2 hour job tops.

http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=287
Old 07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
For the TT guys, I have owned a 02 996 C2 for 2 years. I was able to do all the maintenance work myself so I am kind of familiar with these cars. Things have changed and now I am in the market for a TT. I found a very good priced 01 TT with 36k miles. My question for you guys is what things go wrong with these cars? and what are the avegrage costs of ownership (spark plugs-other? my C2 had the engine replaced under warranty, are the TT engines so much better than the C2s? I am planning on keeping the TT for a very long time and probably keep her stock, I just wanted to know how different it would be compared to her N/A sister..
No comparison. Have you driven one yet?

Not many things go wrong with these cars. As previously stated the motors are extremely durable derivations of the GT1 race motor. They were engineered to be driven hard. Light years better than the M96 engine.

Look for second gear pop outs and your wheel bearing gone bad. Mine went out at 21k miles and the car was not driven very hard.

Other than that, do the normal PPI and pull the computer to check for type II over revs. If the car checks out in all those areas, with proper maintanance it should last you a very long time.

Depending on what you're capabale of doing an oil change will run anywhere from $100 DIY to $350 at a dealer. Same goes for major services. Anywhere from $700-$1500 depending on what they do. Plugs are normally about 2 hours labor and run anywhere from $70-$100... And even the major services dont cover very much (a lot of checks with some flushing). Although i havent heard of anyone doing a 50 or 60k yet. IMO if you keep these cars well lubricated with clean oil they should be near bulletproof. Good luck
Old 07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

I have driven 2 already, an 02 and a 01 and they both felt great.. the car feels similar to the C2 from 1500 to about 4000rpm, after that the TT has more power.. So basically owning a TT is the same as owning a C2 pricewise (Oil Changes,spark plugs,Tires) The only thing that might be more expensive is brake pads and rotors..
Old 07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

I have driven 2 already, an 02 and a 01 and they both felt great.. the car feels similar to the C2 from 1500 to about 4000rpm, after that the TT has more power.. So basically owning a TT is the same as owning a C2 pricewise (Oil Changes,spark plugs,Tires) The only thing that might be more expensive is brake pads and rotors..
See my threads. I try to document cost of ownership and stuff that has needed attention in my car. I hope this helps:

Pending projects and a few questions-996TT
Old 07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Precisely. Glad i could.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am aware that the engine in the TT is the "Real Deal" thats why I am considering investing in it.. I am not only looking for a faster car (it doesnt hurt anyways) I am looking for a P car I can keep for many years and take care of and not worry about major failures..
Then you have found your car.
The 996TT is perhaps the world's most reliable supercar.
Rennlist member T2 has ~ 180K miles on his 996TT, year round daily driver......while I on the other hand have somewhere around 5150 miles or so on mine
Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If it feels the same as a C2, your not driving hard enough...the cars are nothing alike, I know I own both.They are as much as a pain in the *** to work on as the C2, but a very very dependable car, you will love it!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 PM
schred
Racer

Get the tt, you will not miss your C2 after 1 day of owning the tt. These cars are as bullitproof as they come, expecially considering the performance you are getting. They do it all,, street, track, highway, long trips etc. These cars are as easy to own and live with as just about anything out there. You will also not find a better performance bargain than these cars offer. After reading some of the posts by T2, I would not give a second thought to buying a higher mileage car, as long as it was well maintained. The higher mileage cars are just selling for a song right now ! I am only 7 months and 7K miles into mine at this point. I finally spent some money on it,, and that was for performance mods. Had it on the lift today, 21K miles, and could not find a thing to do, but the usual stuff, fluids, filters, plugs, etc. They are the Honda's of the performane car world !
Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

The car I am looking at has only 36k miles.. the asking price is $52.9k. the car has a clean carfax and autocheck.. has never been painted (according to the paint measuring machine), the only thing left is the PPI and the final negotiation of the price.. I am trading in my C2 so if the money is right I might get it by the end of this week..
Thanks everybody for your responses and help!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

You might find you go through rear tires a little faster on a TT.....

Quick Reply: 996TT help!