Sponsored by:

Problem filling gas tank with a funnel

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 AM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Problem filling gas tank with a funnel

I'm stuck with this reformulated gas where I live and frequently bring 5 gallon cans back of good gas when I travel north. I've tried filling my car with both the can and a funnel and the gas backs up and overflows back out of the filler tube. How do I make this work? I've seen Porsche's being filled with funnels at race tracks and know it can be done. Is there a trick to it?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I think you need a tube.....

I would guess that you need a funnel (or a gas can) with a tube sufficiently long enough to extend into the gas tank filler neck as far as the typical nozzle on the gas pump. Take a look at the portable gas cans (usually plastic) that are available for refilling lawn mowers. My came with a clear plastic tube. I've replaced this several times over the years as the tube will eventually get brittle. I simple go to the hardware store and buy a length of the proper ID tube and cut it o the length I want. Be sure that its ID is small enough to extend in to the gas tank filler neck. Perhaps you recal when unleaded gas was first introduced, lead free gas fillers were a smaller OD. This prevented the possibility of sticking the wider leaded gas filler into a car requiring unleaded.

Cheers,
Old 07-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I routinely use Toluene in my 930 and have to add from a five gallon can. I had that problem then started using a transmission funnel that has the Looong thin neck on it...that seems to get down far enough into the neck to open the flap and allow the fuel to enter....you just can't pour very fast because that funnel spout is pretty narrow at the end.

Quick Reply: Problem filling gas tank with a funnel