PSS10 or JIC and a few DE ??s

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Question PSS10 or JIC and a few DE ??s

Car will only see a few DE events (my first one will be on June 28 at Sebring ).

Which of the two would be better?

On the DE questions:

1. Helmet - checked. Will order one in a few days.
2. Communication system - any recommendations? Something inexpensive to communicate with the instructor.
3. Tires - Stock tires ok for DE? A friend gave me a set of wheels (original hollow Turbo wheels). So I need to decide on what tires to use. Something that works well for the street and for that DE in June.
4. Pads - ordering a new set of pads from Sunset Porsche.
5. Rotors - will use what the car has now, but also ordered a new set of front and rear rotors to replace what I have after the DE. Original rotors from Sunset Porsche as well...
6. Brake fluid - I need to order the Castrol SRF. How many qts? Process as simple as in the older cars? I have the Motive Power bleeder...
7. Should I trailer the car?
8. What things should my survival kit include? Water, suntan lotion, tire pressure gauge, air compressor, what else?

Car had the 60K service recently done... so oil, filters, sparkplugs, etc. were done. Along with a brake fluid change, but I will replace that with the Castrol SRF anyway.

Thank you!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I got #8 answered by the documents in the PCA website.

Need help with the rest of the ? and selecting the suspension to go with. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Search is my friend... got the answer to #3 from this thread: Best track tires....

you can run 245 315's on those wheels

toyo RA1 or 888's, MPSC, or Nitto 01's all good.
245/??ZR18 / 315/30ZR18

996GT2 uses:
235/40ZR18 / 315/30ZR18

Last edited by Wachuko; 05-06-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Ok, editing this entry to include all options...

Porsche of Orlando - Michelin PS2 - mounted, balanced, and with tax: US$1,757.25 (I have to check tomorrow if the PCA discount applies on tires. I forgot to ask when I called)

Discount Tire - Michelin PS2 - (do not have cost of mounting and balance): US$1537.86

Discount Tire - Nitto NT-01 - (do not have cost of mounting and balance): US$1148.07

Discount Tires (similar name, but not the same company as above) - BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW - (do not have cost of mounting and balance): US$892.86

Any comments?? Suggestions?

Last edited by Wachuko; 05-06-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Listing the tire options...
Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're obviously quite excited, as well you should be, about your first DE. I hope this comes across correctly, but I think you're putting a lot of carts before the horse. You are not very likely to come near pushing past what Porsche built your first time out. Here's what I think:

#1 Yes. Read up on properly sizing the helmet to your head. Best bet is to try them on in a store
#2 A lot of instructors have systems already. If not, they are without a doubt going to make sure you hear them. There life is in your hands.
#3 Run stock
#4 Run stock and bring a spare set in case. You can always return them later.
#5 Unless they're border line on thickness I wouldn't worry about it.
#6 SRF is good track or street. There is potential you'll boil stock fluid first time out. Your call.
#7 Do you plan on wrecking it? Accidents happen, but your own pucker factor should contribute to your safety.
#8 Sounds like you answered this yourself. There will be compressed air at the track for tire fill.
Most "track tires" don't provide a lot feedback before they let go. Stock tires "talk" to you more. MPS2's will be fine.

Again, just trying to help and put a practical spin on it for you. Have fun and listen to your instructor.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Bos
You're obviously quite excited, as well you should be, about your first DE. I hope this comes across correctly, but I think you're putting a lot of carts before the horse. You are not very likely to come near pushing past what Porsche built your first time out. Here's what I think:

#1 Yes. Read up on properly sizing the helmet to your head. Best bet is to try them on in a store
#2 A lot of instructors have systems already. If not, they are without a doubt going to make sure you hear them. There life is in your hands.
#3 Run stock
#4 Run stock and bring a spare set in case. You can always return them later.
#5 Unless they're border line on thickness I wouldn't worry about it.
#6 SRF is good track or street. There is potential you'll boil stock fluid first time out. Your call.
#7 Do you plan on wrecking it? Accidents happen, but your own pucker factor should contribute to your safety.
#8 Sounds like you answered this yourself. There will be compressed air at the track for tire fill.
Most "track tires" don't provide a lot feedback before they let go. Stock tires "talk" to you more. MPS2's will be fine.

Again, just trying to help and put a practical spin on it for you. Have fun and listen to your instructor.
Thank you! I know, I know, need to calm down and take it easy... can't wait!

On the suspension. I plan to run the stock one for the DE... but I was going to do the suspension anyway... just not happy with the stock setup. And it will be after the DE. I guess I asked too many questions for one thread, hehehe

Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:43 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have driven cars with the PSS9s and have JICs. Have had both the medium (8/11 I think) and firm (10/14 I think) springs. Mediums were fine on the road, the firm set is, surprise, firmer - but my wife could not tell the difference. Big difference in how car handles. Two advantages. Linear springs, and height adjustment without restricting travel.

Have run PS2s, MPSCs, and Nittos. No sig fallof with Nittos - like them very much.

Pads Pagid yellow in front and black in back. Porsche's have heavy front bias, this helps equalize the bias.

survival gear. water and basic tools. glass cleaner
Old 05-07-2008, 08:10 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tire gauge a must.

Suntan lotion (I got a LOT of sun at VIR in March...).....

Natural fiber long shirt and pants are PCA ruled items.....something to "not forget"...

I am installing JIC 8/12's now. Overkill for sure, but I did one DE over 3 days at VIR and decided it was for me.....and in my hands the weakest link was suspension...then it will be seats. Too much power at present to really need more any time soon....torque is amazing on these cars.....the instructor with a 996GT3 was very impressed by the torque...very (UMW had something to do with that...).

I am trying EBC carbon redstuffs (new)...street and HPDE pads..dual purpose, less dust. We shall see. To me, pagids seems to be way overpriced...but that is just me and in these cars, you usually get what you pay for.

Best.

JB
Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Thank you! I know, I know, need to calm down and take it easy... can't wait!

On the suspension. I plan to run the stock one for the DE... but I was going to do the suspension anyway... just not happy with the stock setup. And it will be after the DE. I guess I asked too many questions for one thread, hehehe

Thanks again!
You're going to have one hell of a good time and I'm sure it will be weeks before the smile is off your face. I warn you though, it's a very slippery slope. I can see it now... A post in the future of "I need a 12 step program because I'm a track junkie".

Have fun and be safe.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree with Bos, take it easy. The car should be just fine bone stock the first time out, with the possible exception of brake fluid.
Track tires will be a waste at this point in your track career I'm afraid, you'll burn through 'em before you ever realize their value. Learn on street tires, get some track tires when you start driving at the intermediate level.
The cars at the Porsche USA Sport Driving School in Ala are bone stock with just sport cups as a point of reference. I'd highly recommend you check that program out.
Suspension wise, stock is more than adequate at your level right now, as you advance, and you will, consider the X73, light years ahead of either setup you mentioned above for track work.
Have fun.
C
Old 05-07-2008, 10:57 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

+1^, stay stock, as you get better, start tinkering. Have fun, stay safe.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thank you all. I will do the brake fluid and a fresh set of pads.

I will go with the JIC (8/12) instead of the PSS10 but that will have to wait a few months as I will need to spend the $$ on a fresh set of tires (Michelin PS2) before DE.

Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

I would wait to upgrade the suspension until after at least 3-4 DE events. The stiffer the suspension, the more difficult it is to drive.

2. You don't need a communication system...your instructor will have one

3. Stock tires are fine. Run a few pounds higher than the stock pressures at first. Put a few small dots of white shoe polish around the edge of the tire to see where the tire is rolling. Bleed the pressure a few lbs after each run until you are using all the tire. Next morning, take the pressure again so you have a better baseline for your next event.

4. Brake pads - with the SRF you should be fine for an event or 2. After that, I would recommend Pagid yellows. The Black, while great (I use them), are harsher on rotors.

5. Rotors will not last long when you start tracking a fat & fast car like your turbo. I could crack a set of stock rotors in 1 race weekend, and that was on a much slower 964 turbo.

6. 2 qts of SRF should be plenty for a complete flush…you’ll only use about 1.5, and have some to spare. Castrol lasts even when opened, as the wet boiling point is still nice & high. The Motive will work fine (you don’t really have to bleed all the ABS stuff).

7. If you have a trailer & truck, then sure why not. Trailering is much nicer!

8. Survival kit: bring lots of water (like 5+ bottles per day), and some energy/granola bars (dont let yourself get tired). I would also bring a beach/camping chair (so you can sit down) and an umbrella or small tent canopy (shade = good). If you have a toolbox, bring that too. And a jack. Oh, and a tarp to cover your stuff if it rains (starting to see why towing is better, eh?). Since this is your first event, you can get by without the tools or jack, but you'll want the rest.

Sebring is a very bumpy track. You will be knackered at the end of the day. Make sure to east & rest well each night. This is a very physical sport, and the better shape you are in, the less drained you will get.

Most important of all is to have fun. Don't get too competitive and be worried about who you pass or who passes you. You'll be a novice and you'll all suck equally in my book.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:58 PM
L Gancho
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Tire gauge a must.

Suntan lotion (I got a LOT of sun at VIR in March...).....

Natural fiber long shirt and pants are PCA ruled items.....something to "not forget"...

I am installing JIC 8/12's now. Overkill for sure, but I did one DE over 3 days at VIR and decided it was for me.....and in my hands the weakest link was suspension...then it will be seats. Too much power at present to really need more any time soon....torque is amazing on these cars.....the instructor with a 996GT3 was very impressed by the torque...very (UMW had something to do with that...).

I am trying EBC carbon redstuffs (new)...street and HPDE pads..dual purpose, less dust. We shall see. To me, pagids seems to be way overpriced...but that is just me and in these cars, you usually get what you pay for.

Best.

JB
I'm running the JIC's 8/12's with H&R swaybars (full tight on rear and full loose on front bar) and have been very satisfied. What I liked about the JIC's, aside from price, is they also include the upper mounts. Decided to go with the Tarett Eng. droplinks and rear upper control arms. I'm also using the EBC's (Yellowstuff R) on both street and track along with the Motul 600. Can't beat them. Hold up excellent on the track and don't squeel on the street. I'd recommend these to anyone who is considering EBC's. When you're ready, check out the Yokohama A048 for track use. I've had a better experience with the Yoko's over the Toyo's. No affiliation with any brands/suppliers mentioned above.

Last edited by L Gancho; 05-08-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by 38D
... You'll be a novice and you'll all suck equally in my book.
LOL. Thank you!

Quick Reply: PSS10 or JIC and a few DE ??s