Sponsored by:

My Car Isn't Italian!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Ken C
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Car Isn't Italian!

Hopped in the turbo to drive in to work today, but I couldn't get sound out of the radio. Bizarre. I turned the ignition off and on a couple of times and no go. I figured I would check into blown fuses this evening when I got home. However, I fired up the car to drive home, and the sound was back! Go figger! I thought only my Alfa Romeo had these electrical gremlins!!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 PM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many gremlins has your modern P car.. But at least you can count on the headlights always working !!! These radios do seem to be crap. Mine plays a funny beeping sound in the background on occasion, it is rare, but usually only lasts a few seconds. Hmmmm..
Old 04-04-2008, 01:04 AM
linda.erwin
Rennlist Member

Hey Ken,

Bummer. Porsche put the big bucks into the engine and brakes on the Turbos.
Guess they figured we'd be listening to the engine instead of the stereo
most of the time. I eventually replaced mine with a Pioneer and Focal speakers.
Previously had an Alpine in my C4 Cab. They're both good.

Linda
'03 996TT
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Ken C
Advanced

Linda, I agree re the stereo. I'm a bit of an audiophile and have always felt Bose is way over rated. I have always refused to own any Bose equipment. Well, I had no choice with the Turbo. And frankly I am not impressed with this system. Even when working, the system has no punch and always sounds flat. Upgrading it isn't high on my priority list, though. If I want to listen to music, I listen to my Maggies and Audio Research gear at home. I'd rather put my car dollars into tweaking other aspects of the car, starting with the exhaust!

Ken
Old 04-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Ken, My '04 TT Cab did the exact same thing last week. The dealer read out a bunch of communication error codes in the Audio system (I think the CD changer) and reset to zero. The plan is to drive it for a week and reread the codes to try to isolate whats happening. The stereo seems to be working pretty good now; however the car threw a check engine light - I wonder if it's related?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
rwilliamtaylor
Advanced

Hmmm... My Bose system sounds great... with lot's of punch. I'm afraid when my teenagers pump up the volume on their rap it'll shatter the windows.
When I was shopping for my TT I noticed that some cars had Bose Subwoofer ports behind the rear seats and some didn't. Is there more than 1 level of Bose sound available? It seemed that the cars with the 6 CD changer in the trunk had the extra speakers inside as well.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by schred
...But at least you can count on the headlights always working !!!...
I would not go that far... I had the headlights not working due to the switch needing replacement...
Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Ken C
Advanced

I've had the TT out several times since the glitch, and the radio has worked each time. Go figger.

Don't know on the level of Bose systems. Mine does have the changer in the trunk. I poked around with the settings the other night and was able to improve the sound some. Not sure I care for the auto setting that adjust volume based upon speed. The adjustment isn't smooth, and I still find myself manually tweaking the volume.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Gemba
Intermediate

Bose is junk esp at home..Mac, the tube stuff and Vandersteens But I agree, turbo boost is essential road music, so the Bose will do...
My system did the power on but no volume glitch, on re-start it was fine....
Old 04-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Ken C
Advanced

Gemba, ahh...a tube man. My ARC gear is tubed, and I do run a vandy sub with my maggies!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:32 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken C
Gemba, ahh...a tube man. My ARC gear is tubed, and I do run a vandy sub with my maggies!
What the heck language are you speaking? I have no problems with my stock stereo and dension gateway ipod hookup...but I do turn it off quite a bit to enjoy the EPs
Old 04-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Ken C
Advanced

Statman, I want to look into getting my iPod going in the 996. I have an FM broadcast unit, but would like to get a direct line in more akin to what I have on my MB GL450. I'll do a search on Denison.

All the other gibberish related to home audio equipment.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Ken, My '04 did the same thing as yours - display on, no noise.The dealer ended up replacing the CD changer because of the communication errors it was creating. Apparently the MOST (fiber optic) system is very sensitive to these and can do some wierd things if it doesn't all work perfectly. It will be interesting to see if it comes back. The service guys said they had seen a few of these issues and traced them to CD changers. We'll see!
Old 04-11-2008, 11:32 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken C
Statman, I want to look into getting my iPod going in the 996. I have an FM broadcast unit, but would like to get a direct line in more akin to what I have on my MB GL450. I'll do a search on Denison.

All the other gibberish related to home audio equipment.
Ken here:

Dension Gateway

I got mine from Eric @ bumperplugs.com

Quick Reply: My Car Isn't Italian!