Turbo Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Turbo Update

Well, here is the current on my TT.

Chicago Motorcars owner Parin Shah has done a great job in light of the issues that have popped up. Like I said before, very few dealers would I trust. He is one.

I have met him and looked him in the eye and seen his integrity. He truly is working to make things 100% for his clients. Even my wife thinks so

Ok, the car needed a clutch and accumulator. They had an in house mechanic doing the work. Several times he "had it fixed" and it was not. Once was when my wife and I flew out to pick up the car. They paid to fly us home and put us up for the weekend at their cost for the error.

The issue has always been the same. Cold car will not go into gear. Once warm it will go into gear. They have replaced the accumulator twice an the slave once.

The car is going to Ed Napleton in the morning (Monday). They are tearing the car down (clutch wise) to fix it right.

Will let you know
Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 PM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim, you are a patient man. In following the progress of this purchase I probably would have bailed and pursued another car. If these guys do get the bugs worked out of the car and all is well, it will certainly go a long way to solidify their reputation on this site. I am also betting that you will not miss your 993 once you have the new steed in the garage. Since aquiring a 6tt I have not looked back and find that it is the only car that I really want to drive anymore. Lets hope that beauty is sitting in your garage soon.
FS
Old 03-30-2008, 10:56 PM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Boy, I don't know. I bought my car from the Porsche Exchange which isn't too far away. There was nothing wrong with it before I bought it. There has been nothing wrong with it since I bought it. They sold the car new. They serviced the car. They knew the car and the owner. I've talked with the old owner. I'm not worried about its history or any surprises. If this car is such a basket case now..... And why didn't they get a real Porsche mechanic on it right away?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Well, part of this is I DO have a budget. And an X50 with these options is worth the wait......I think. I think.

And they have been up front and working hard.

I think the guy got fired actually (the mechanic). As a small business owner myself I can see why they have an in house guy. I agree that this should have gone to a dealer a bit earlier. But on the other hand I can see how this type of issue which is not black and white would be frustrating. Being in Computers I know about issues that work the OOOPS don't

Will know more tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:22 AM
Kab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim, I had issues with them also. After purchasing my car with them I had the truck there to pick it up and the car was all torn apart. They told me the turbo's were being replaced? Many weeks after my purchase they told me the car was ready and the 30k service was done. When the car arrived it was covered with paint overspray, the 30k service not done, the turbo's not replaced the turbo's leaking oil, and the accumulater leaking also. $4000 dollars later, all is working perfectly at my cost. After many many phone calls to them regarding my car, they did nothing to make it right. I learned my lesson. Do not trust their in house mechanic!!! I hope they get everything working right for you.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:14 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't know, but a "dealer" with this much variation in issues....I would run fast. BTW, in Chi town this week...cold and WET.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

IT was his internal guy. Now at Ed Napleton. They found the issue

Lines were installed wrong. How? Don't know. Talked to the mech and he said it was leaking and there was a crease in one line. All repaired and holding pressure. Amazing how it works with fluid in it.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
newton982
Instructor

I hope you're getting a phenomenal deal on this car!

Either way, when it's all done you'll enjoy it. A few weeks of discomfort is probably worth several years of enjoyment.

Off-topic - I'm curious as to why you didn't enjoy your 993TT (I gather you had one from some other posts)? I seriously considered getting one, but was concerned about maintenance/reliability issues.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:33 PM
linda.erwin
Rennlist Member

Hi Tim,

It's really good to hear from you, bud. All I can say is that I'm sorry.
An experience like this can really spoil the fun of getting a new car.
But, it seems Chicago Motorcars is doing right by you by seeing this
through to the end to your satisfaction. I'm really glad they called in
reinforcements (Ed Napleton). Nothing like teamwork to bring about the
best results. Just think, not much longer before this will morph into this
once you get the car... and this when the boost kicks in.
Please keep us posted. We're with you, guy!!

Linda
'03 996TT
Old 03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the when the boost kicks in. All will be forgotten and you'll find a reputable indy tech who knows 996 Turbos in the future. Enjoy in good health.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

The Napleton guys do good work. I go past their shop nearly every day; let me know if you need me to check anything out there.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

The 993TT was nice but cost a bunch in repairs.

I am getting this 03 996tt X50 with NAV and full Carbon with 42k miles for 55k.

It will be in a good home when I get it.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:30 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It will bve worth the wait Tim.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 PM
shelbygtkr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
The 993TT was nice but cost a bunch in repairs.
thats because the 993 tt you bought was a Lemon, a stock 993 tt with consistent matinence records will provide many years of trouble free motoring. Just a matter of weeding out the good cars from the abused cars..
Old 04-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

I mention it was MINE that had a lot of repairs. NOT ALL ok.

Quick Reply: Turbo Update