Sponsored by:

sat/navigation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:06 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sat/navigation question

guys i know very little about this topic and hope some of you can lead me in the right direction. i've been considering installing a new satellite/navigation system on my 03 tt. what do you guys think would be better...an oem unit or aftermarket. one of my concerns with the aftermarket unit is appearance after the install..would it look stock? i know its all about how good is the installer. in my area, i've heard that sound advice is pretty good..so any of you guys in and around my area please let me know if you know of any other. also do some of these system come ready for satellite radio, and putting everything aside which is the better aftermarket unit out there. please post pics if you have aftermarket unit installed on your cars so that i can see how good it looks after the install.

thanks in advance for all responses..manny.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
fdss
Advanced

Because your car has fibre optic wiring, your limited to PCM2 or the factory nav system.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:16 PM
rwilliamtaylor
Advanced

I use Telenav on my Blackberry. It's better than the factory nav systems as it has real time traffic. It costs $9/mo. (less than Starbucks for a week). Will even find nearest fuel by lowest price. I have a custom holder for my BB that does not require any drilling and is easily removed. I'll not go back to a factory systems
Old 01-15-2008, 01:59 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

If you use the stock nav unit, all you'll get is navgation. If you buy a aftermarket unit, you can have nav, dvd, cd, sat radio, mp3, ipod interface, all in one unit. You need to use a better amp and you can buy one along with the head unit for nominal cost. You'll be getting a heck of a lot better system than just buying the stock unit. You should go to several stereo shops and see whats available.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fdss
Because your car has fibre optic wiring, your limited to PCM2 or the factory nav system.
Not true
Old 01-15-2008, 02:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Have you considered installing the headunit from the Carrera GT? It might meet your criteria
Old 01-15-2008, 07:47 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
Have you considered installing the headunit from the Carrera GT? It might meet your criteria
would it fit..? like i said do not know about this too much. from your previous response am i limited on what to use because of my model year..?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:07 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The factory GPS is a PITA to use. There are a lot of better ones out there
Old 01-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kenwood makes the DNX7100 double-DIN that fits and Pioneer makes 2 units, the AVIC-D3 and the more expensive AVIC-Z2, both fit the stock hole in the dash. I wouldn't go stock since Porsche doesn't support their upgrades and updates. I use a TomTom which I have been very happy with. I never listen to the radio except if I want traffic info.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:38 PM
fdss
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc
Not true
What are his options then?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by manny_g
would it fit..? like i said do not know about this too much. from your previous response am i limited on what to use because of my model year..?
It is a modified version of the venerable Becker Traffic Pro (and has some memory card slots, etc), which has been used in 911's for a long time now (I just received a Traffic Pro for my wife's 993 Targa). It has been discussed in the CGT forum over the past couple of years.

You can 'divorce' youself of the MOST infotainment devices/implementation and then install any aftermarket system you desire, again this has been done in this fourm multiple times over the years.

I merely suggested a "Traffic Pro" installation since you mentioned an OEM look is desireable.
From a strictly OEM, you only have 2 choices, CDR23 (single DIN) or PCM2 (double DIN).
Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It simple, if you have the MOST system and yours being an 03 it does. What I did was go with an after market Amp ( JL Audio 6 channel ) in the trunk, I replaced all of the factory speakers with MB Quart, l rewired the entire car.I went this way for a few reasons, first the Bose sound is terrible, second I wanted Nav,DVD, MP3, XM and a Video Ipod control with Blue tooth hands free cell phone system....and i wanted to do this all with one unit and with touch screen controls.I LOVE how the car sounds now, I am not a real bass head so i just replaced the speakers in the factory sub box and covered the box with dynamax...Thes MOST must go.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kilrgt
...Thes MOST must go.
Unfortunately, MOST isn't going anywhere anytime soon at Porsche.....it's here at least thru MY2012 vehicles and likely 3-4 years past that.

There is a new version of MOST that uses twisted pair copper wiring rather than plastic optical fiber, but it's still MOST.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know....I meant the most must go in his 03

Originally Posted by ltc
Unfortunately, MOST isn't going anywhere anytime soon at Porsche.....it's here at least thru MY2012 vehicles and likely 3-4 years past that.

There is a new version of MOST that uses twisted pair copper wiring rather than plastic optical fiber, but it's still MOST.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:36 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kilrgt
I know....I meant the most must go in his 03
can you please tell me what MOST stands for...and what brand unit did you install...any pics will be appreciated..

Quick Reply: sat/navigation question