Blasphemy - questions on MB Lease

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:48 PM
cgeorgan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blasphemy - questions on MB Lease

Hello -

This post is directed to anybody out there who has a Mercedes Benz. Quick disclaimer...I might be right or wrong, but I figured that paying for a subscription here, actually owning a 996TT and not owning a MB would give me a little leeway in posting questions regarding getting one (so please forgive me in advance).

Anyways, I don't have any experience with Mercedes Benz, and was considering leasing a 2008 C300 or C350. If there is somebody out there with experience leasing from MB, I'd appreciate it if you could share with me some of your hard-earned knowledge regarding residuals, money factors, sweet deals, etc. Also, if you happen to own/have driven a C300 or C350, please share your thoughts!

Thanks in advance,
CG
Old 01-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Addicted
Advanced

I don't know about leasing, but buying one new is crazy. I had a CLS 500 and that thing sucked out loud holding its value. Great ride, but sit down and take a deep breath when you get ready to sell it. Of course, you are going to lease, so that could be a whole different game. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry that I don't have MB lease experience, but do have BMW, Audi, and VW (I guess those are the same company, but different cars). Why would MB be different in theory. Aren't the 3 main issues cap cost reduction (preferrably none), money factor (preferrably small), and residual value (preferrably a high percentage of list price)?
If it's a business lease, and you are trying to finagle a purchase by your buisness at the end, you can add in a bunch of extra miles (pre tax expense), and buy the car for a lower number later.
Clue me as to what I'm missing. AS
Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 PM
CAPTLST
Instructor

Shoot me some questions. I am the leasing guru

ericvanvorst@gmail.com
Old 01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Boston Duce
Advanced

Gone are the days where you could "make money" on a MB factory lease. I can remember at least 4 leases where I terminated a 48 month lease substantially early, and had several thousand left over as a bonus.

There were virtually no early term penalties, and they used a most generous money factor. In addition low residual values coupled with a strong used car demand kept your car's value high. It was a license to steal.

They got smart real fast however, and it has all reversed. Whatever "break" they give you on the payments gets added to the back end. The more vanilla your ride is, the worse it gets, as the used car values have crashed due to an overpopulation. This doesn't even address the early term penalties which are worse than the rule of 78's double declining method. When you sign the lease, you GUARANTEE that you will maintain the car with MBNA approved service and parts. Turn a car in early with non-approved tires, and you will be charged to make the rubber right.

On a garden variety c300 with a 48 month lease you would probably be upside down until month 46.

The last MBNA lease I had was a black 2000 E55 AMG a "limited production" of 500. I was lucky to come out on top $1000 after 48 months (ps. the car was a garage queen with 5000 miles when I got rid of it)

Bottom line now, there is no free lunch, and if you sign up for a lease you should plan to stick to term out till the end.

Regards,
BD
Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 PM
cgeorgan
Instructor

BD -

Thanks for the info. Ultimately decided to go with a new '08 BMW 335xi coupe.

CG

Quick Reply: Blasphemy - questions on MB Lease