Sponsored by:

Karting to improve your driving skills

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:37 AM
gbhstrat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Karting to improve your driving skills

Just wondering how many drivers out there use outdoor go-karts to stay in shape? I was invited by a IMSA cup car owner/driver (who was my driving instructor) to go out karting with him. I tried it and now I am totally addicted. I now own two CR125 Shifter karts (one is for my son) they have 6 speed manual transmission, around 40 HP, 180 pounds and they are like little F1 cars. They are a lot different than the indoor karts so don’t use that in comparison. A CR125 Shifter can smoke the tires like a NOPI drifter and can hit well over 100 MPH. They teach you so much it’s incredible and they give you a heck of a work out. Driving my 996TT is like driving a big soft couch compared to my kart. It’s great for getting that “need for speed” out of your system. I only get to track my car a few times a year so Karting is what I use to stay sharp. Karts can pull over 2 G’s in the corners and they have 0-60 times around 3 seconds. You can beat them all day long without breaking your wallet. A new set of slicks on all 4 corners is only $200 for the full set. I thought I was going to be around a lot of kids and it’s just the opposite. I am 50 and the other day I was one of the youngest guys at practice. On guy was 65 and he kicked my butt. If you are looking to supplement your track days with something that builds on your driving skill, I highly recommend karting.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 AM
N-Dub
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Karting creates the difference between Driving and riding with input I race karts competitively and can say that they rule!!
And you can only pull 2g's???
Old 12-30-2007, 02:58 AM
r34dy2walk
Track Day

V17 is great in Jersey.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:57 PM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What kind of beating, physically, do you take? Looks like it would be hard on back and neck. This is the old guy in me talking me out of it.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't wear a proper rib vest and/or your seat isn't sized/padded/fitted properly, your ribs will be the first thing to break.

You are also required to wear a CIK Level 2 karting suit, NO NOMEX...it has zero abrasion resistance.

You are required to wear a CIK/FIA homologated foam neck collar (many, many different ones available).
FWIW, my son switched from a foam neck collar to a Leatt-Brace (WKA, Rotax approved). MUCH better than a foam neck collar IMHO. Everytime he goes to the track, parents/competitors ask about the device and end up ordering one.
www.leatt-brace.com

Also, I don't drive a kart, I merely wrench/coach/tune my son's kart....I parked my Cup car 2 years ago to help him compete nationally.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:07 PM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why sure you could do it, you're a tough old bird. But...it's not something form old guys with bad backs and such.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg
Why sure you could do it, you're a tough old bird. But...it's not something form old guys with bad backs and such.
I'm actually more of an SOB than an old bird.....Cayenne did it to me I suppose.

As far as backs go, it depends on the race track. My son has raced on tracks (temporary circuits) that are so rough, the kart vibrates apart each run; other tracks are so smooth, he hardly feels anything.

Again, with a properly fitted/padded seat and safety gear, I've seen real old men out there kicking young driver's butts. You will drive only as fast as you allow yourself.

That having been said, I would NEVER recommend an ICC 6 speed shifter as anyone's first kart. WAY too expensive to run/maintain, WAY too fast.

I would instead recommend a single speed TaG (touch and go, electric start, single speed/dry clutch) or perhaps a DD2 (2 speed paddle shifter, NO CHAIN, direct drive gearbox, electric start.....very popular and fast enough)
Old 12-30-2007, 02:57 PM
gbhstrat
Track Day

I am 50 years old, I have two bad shoulders from years for motocross and I have a ruptured disk that will flame up and cause sciatic nerve pain down my leg. I had to give up snowmobiles and motorcycles but karting is OK . I have special seat in my kart called a “Deep seat” that really helps keep me planted in the turns. Yes, my shoulders will be a little sore from a day at the track, but it is pain that I can tolerate. I said 2 Gs in my original post but it may be more. With a good seat you can flog you Kart into corners with confidence and at speeds you just can’t believe. It’s absolutely blow you away fast that puts a big smile on your face. For those of you who track their cars, if you feel like you need to get more seat time and want significantly improve your driving skills, I recommend karting.
The attached link is what a Porsche cup driver says about karting. Steve Valentinetti is who got me into karting he uses karts to work with his teammates. He is an incredible driver and the driving points he tells me in the car are the same points he tells me on the kart track.
http://www.imsaracing.net/2007/news/...20yr%20end.pdf
Old 12-30-2007, 03:55 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I do agree, but also agree that you do get beaten up. You really have to drive a racing kart on the edge, so it teaches you to go the limit. On the other hand, I had black and blue marks on my chest for a week.
Shifter karts also seem a bit on the dangerous side to me, tho I am a rank amateur in this arena. I was impressed at how easy it was to get off line and off the track with some hard objects coming up in a big hurry. The acceleration is surprising. How would you rate the danger of a shifter kart vs. driving your own track car? AS
Old 12-30-2007, 05:23 PM
gbhstrat
Track Day

Danger....mmmmmm. I would say that karting is safe if you are not actually in racing conditions with large groups of people. Because they are open wheel, they don’t like touching wheel to wheel just like F1 or Indy cars so that's where a lot of crashes occur. I don’t race my kart because I have had my fill of racing with Motocross in my past. I would say that driving a car on a lapping day is safer than karting because you are not driving as much on the edge. In my car, I may get a little out of shape at the track, but I don’t drive at my limits because I can’t afford to crash my car (or look stupid on the track). The local Porsche club and speed shops that put on lapping day events at Pacific Raceway here in the northwest really emphasize always driving in control so the track is not the place where you learn to get sideways in your car. So karting has more danger because you are going to be driving at the limits of your ability. But with that said, I see very few people get hurt on kart practice days. Compared to dirt bikes karting is way safer.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:53 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Compared to dirt bikes, Russian Roulette is way safer. But your points are well thought out and expressed. AS
Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Red9
Racer

Comment in first post re relevence to car etc. Going from a race kart on slicks to road/street type car is significantly different. Going to race car that is slick shod-- I do not think too different( interested in other opinions on that) Certainly the Kart driving is huge help and educative experience that I would highly recommend. For those that are past 16 YO( that includes me!!) the key is to approach it as a beginner and tick the bases.There is a lot of learning to do-- apart from driving-- on set up,feel etc I would suggest planning on racing-- it gives you a specific aim and forces reality check. Definately do not start in a 125 shifter- brilliant as they are.It is way too much Kart to start with. Check the local clubs and find someone that knows what you need-- and the their advice. You need someone for info all the way.Talking to others at the track is an essential part of the learning process.
As for the physical side -- to be quick is very physical- so approach it like that and build up to where you want to be- it will take time. An ill handling Kart will break your ribs -- so nothing should be considered in isolation here!
The major point for me is this-- I can go to my Kart track nearly everyday if my time allows- so getting driving practice is much easier (and cheaper) than car- and it lets you put quality time in in the car-- your brain is already around what is required-- so car time is spent refining-- not on basics.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:42 AM
N-Dub
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes depending on the track, chassis set up, body in seat fit, and driving line you can get beaten quite easily. I've had a number of bruised ribs, sprained wrist, whip lash, road rash, and some of the craziest bruises that you might ever see from karting. After a recent endurance race I found blood on the inside of my suit from my hips and my lower back from ruptured bruises caused by bumping against my seat when going over the curbs. Karting can be from as mild to as wild as one would like, and in my opion is the simplest most pure form of motorsport available.

Quick Reply: Karting to improve your driving skills