Remove Rubber Bumper Guards?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:21 AM
broepke
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Rubber Bumper Guards?

Hi All,

I just got this car and would love to remove the rubber bumper guards. I've searched around a bit but couldn't find out. In looking around they appear to be attached from the inside of the bumper using a single (pretty large) bolt - they also are drilled through the bumper and not the vents.

I'm sure someone has done this and I was wondering if they can be pulled off easy short of ripping the bumper off. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2007, 07:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello,
They are commonly referred to as front "bumperettes" or "warts". A forum search should yield some threads regarding these, as it comes up every now and then.
They are only found on early MY01 cars; they were deleted during MY01 after the DOT finally agreed they were NOT needed after all
(BTW another item peculiar to early MY01 cars is solid spoke wheels vs hollow spoke wheels....you can feel the back of the spokes to check to see which one you have; a solid spoke wheel will have a 'groove' machined in the back of the spoke, a hollow spoke wheel will not. You can also tell by the valve stems. Again, this has been discussed before and pictures posted showing the differences)

Back to the bumperettes, Yes, they can be removed (by removing the bumper and removing the bumperette and its hardware), but you will be left with a decision as to either buy a new nose or have a body shop try and plug the (large) holes left behind....unfortunately our good friend Eric at Bumperplugs doesn't quite have a bumper plug for THAT .
The general concensus is to simply buy a new nose and have it painted, but its your choice.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's what I did to the rear................

Old 11-20-2007, 05:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Weight reduction, it's all about weight reduction......

Quick Reply: Remove Rubber Bumper Guards?