What to do about wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Tom,
Will your car do that, or when it had the reflash did it? The only Porsche I ever had that did that had the rear tires (mistakenly) inflated to 90 lbs.
Is Jeff's car tuned to something past 500 hp?
It still seems odd, and I would guess the actual contact patch is small. It is very strange to think about that with PSM on. I've driven my X50 on the track in the rain, and while it will axle hop on the launch (wet pavement), it doesn't once it's rolling. But even that is PSM off.
My (now sold) BMW 850 CSI did that when the rear tires got old and really dry. The tires still had tread, but they were totally cooked in terms of traction. My bet is that new rubber and less negative camber will make the whole thing go away. Just new rubber may be enough. That camber setting sounds like it will take about 10,000 miles or less to eat through the tread. AS
Driven at the track, flat out redline in each gear with race set up and Hoosiers never had wheel hop. I think this is a phenomenon of drag racing type starts.
I have never had a reason to drop the hammer in first gear. First gear is worthless for me other than to get out of the paddock.
So no hop for me.
Also you would be lucky to get 5k miles out of that set up!!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:59 AM
MidnighTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Driven at the track, flat out redline in each gear with race set up and Hoosiers never had wheel hop. I think this is a phenomenon of drag racing type starts.
I have never had a reason to drop the hammer in first gear. First gear is worthless for me other than to get out of the paddock.
So no hop for me.
Also you would be lucky to get 5k miles out of that set up!!
You need to reread my first post. This is NOT a drag race start phenomenon, I thought I made that quite clear. Whatever.

I've had my nose rubbed in my foolish alignment settings, so I'll have Kraus dial the rear camber back to -1.5 or thereabouts when the new tires get mounted.

Jeff
Old 12-03-2007, 11:38 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Well I thought about this thread today while putting my foot into the Turbo.
It's raining here in Portland and I found my car experiences some rear wheel hop when the tires break loose at about 40mph.

Stock suspension and Pirelli P Zeros

Just thought I'd share my $0.02
Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 AM
fstede1
Instructor

What kind of ride on the street do you gret with the 3/2 shock setting?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

The difference between the Bilsteins and stock is hard to put in words. I think the 3/2 settings is firmer than stock, yet the ride is less harsh than stock. It doesn't crash on small potholes. I started with 5/4, which produced a *much* nicer ride than stock, yet the control in high speed bumpy sweepers was better than stock. Nowhere near as much front end bobbing. HTH!

Jeff

Quick Reply: What to do about wheel hop?