Speedo Re-calibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Beej
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Re-calibration

Hi all,

I've searched and can't really find much info (certainly nothing conclusive) re the following question:

Can the speedo in a 996TT (2001) be re-calibrated, either by any of the tuners or anyone else out there? How difficult or easy is it to do?

With other cars I have owned (GM/LS1 powered) this was really easy and any/all tuning packages enabled the speedo calibration to be adjusted via the engine management software, and I needed to do this due to things like final dive ratio changes etc.

My speedo is out by around 8% (optimistic) and I find it really annoying. In addition the odometer logs about 5% more miles/km's than the car actually travels. I've discussed with my local P dealer and they said they can't re-calibrate it.

Any experiences or suggestions? Any help appreciated!

Cheers!

Beej
Old 10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Not sure if this is helpful, but from the workshop manual:

Coding the instrument cluster
Note
As of model year '01, the tolerance of the speed display has been restricted. This was achieved by changing the software ("K−number") on the instrument cluster and PCM control module. The "K−number" varies depending on vehicle type and country equipment.

The reason is as follows: different displays of the total mileage and the fuel consumption/average consumption in the instrument cluster and the PCM control module.

Therefore, in the case of repairs, the K−number in the instrument cluster must be corrected with the Porsche System Tester 2 (PST2) after the installation of a new instrument cluster in 911 Turbo vehicles. > If this correction is not carried out, conflicting values for the total mileage and fuel consumption/average consumption will be displayed on the instrument cluster and the PCM control module when in driving mode.

PROCEDURE for coding the instrument cluster:
1. Connect the PST2 to the diagnostic socket; switch on the PST2 and the ignition.
2. In the menu "Control units", select Instrument cluster
3. In the function selection, select Coding .
4. Select menu item Country coding .
5. Select the respective country and code with F8 key.
The other menu items are described in the Diagnosis Manual, folder ’ 0, 9025 Control module replacement, instrument cluster.
6. In the function selection, select Synchronise K−number .
7. Start the function using the key >> .
8. After the function has been successfully performed in the instrument cluster, the message K−number
synchronised or the message K−number updated appears in the Tester display. If the K−number is not
updated, a connection to the PCM is set up automatically. The message Connecting to PCM appears.
9. Then the message Function successfully completed appears.
10. Return to the Start menu with the button "ESC", switch off the PST2 and disconnect from the
diagnostic socket.
Note
In general, the K−number is adjusted when coding the instrument cluster. However, this point must be checked again when coding is complete, as described under PROCEDURE for changing the "K−number" in the instrument cluster (as of PST2 software 13.0):

Quick Reply: Speedo Re-calibration