Sponsored by:

Remote key wont' work...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote key wont' work...?

I bought the car and it came with one key...the seller mailed me the second key with all the paperwork and I find that the light blinks, but it won't open or close the doors. He insists that the key worked when it left his place, but I'm beginning to wonder. I'm wondering if perhaps it might have been scanned by FedEx and the program possibly washed out? Do they scan the packages? Porsche wants $150 just to "program the key"....which sounds a bit rediculous for a simple key re-program. The car has a CPO warranty.....are the keys covered under the CPO?

I tried locking/unlocking the car manually, then starting it with the key and all sorts of gyrations....the light blinks like the good one does, but it just won't do anything....and yes....I read the manual. What perplexes me is that the manual talks about the key light staying on or not coming on at all. I bought and installed a new battery and the light flashes just like it's supposed to, so it should be working. Anyone have any suggestions before I go the $150 route?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:46 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like it needs to be reprogrammed. If you are going to let $150 get you undies in a bunch, this may not be the right car for you. I would ask for warranty coverage, but this isn't a big enough deal to blow up over. Wait til you need something really expensive fixed, then get upset. AS
Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I would agree on the bunched undies bit...just annoyed me to have it delivered with something that didn't work. Kinda hard to get any sincere concern from folks who spend what they do on these cars to begin with.

How about we do like they did in Perry Mason movies......The jury is instructed to disregard the last testimony. Guess I'll go spend the $150 and shut up.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the car start? In other words, does the immobilizer work? (I assume the blade fits.) If not, it may not even be the right key or something else was changed somewhere. There are 3 functions of the key: key blade (mechanical), immobilizer pill, and the RF door unlocking/locking. The RF part of the key is not programmed to the car. The car is programmed to the key. If you don't have the (bar) code that came with the key, then it cannot be programmed into the car, and you will need new key electronics with the code/tag. If your dealer is like mine, expect to get boned. See my post in 996 forum. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Arena: I saw your post and am practicing bending over and holding my ankles. Actually, your post had folks who were saying that they were only charged $50, $70, or $100 for reprogramming....so it's readily apparent that the pricing is subjective at best....set by the service manager and not by any standardized flat rate.....but I've been duly chastized for whinning......
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 PM
alpha1
Instructor

The below is an old post from Loren dated 7-19-04 from the 996 section (I don't know if this is your issue or not, but it couldn't hurt to give it a try before spending the $$$):

TSB 20/03 9662 Replacing The Key Remote Control Battery (dated 06-25-04) describes how changing the battery "incorrectly" can cause the processor to lock up and stop functioning. If this happens it instructs you to:

Quote:
1.4 Check the function of the remote control.
Note: If the remote control does not function after replacing the battery, the processor could have stopped. If this is the case, the LED of the remote control either does not light when the button is pressed or it lights continuously, i.e., longer than length of time the button is pressed. The processor must be restarted. In this case, proceed as is described under Step 2.

2. Restarting the processor.
2.1 Remove battery as described under Step 1.2.
2.2 Inserting battery briefly with polarity reversed.
2.2.1 After a waiting time of at least 10 seconds, slide battery with the polarity of the battery reversed (positive terminal downwards) under the tab (Figure 1, arrow 2).
2.2.2 Clip battery downward into the holder.
2.2.3 After a waiting time of approx. 3 seconds, remove this incorrectly polarized battery again.
2.3 Install battery as described under Step 1.3.
2.4 Check the function of the remote control.

Rennlist #020607-2749
1999 Carrera Arctic Silver/Boxster Red
PCA member since 1978
My mods in the Registry - My Blog
Old 10-16-2007, 03:34 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Thanx...I'll definitely give it a try.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:02 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Arena: I saw your post and am practicing bending over and holding my ankles. Actually, your post had folks who were saying that they were only charged $50, $70, or $100 for reprogramming....so it's readily apparent that the pricing is subjective at best....set by the service manager and not by any standardized flat rate.....but I've been duly chastized for whinning......
Chuck - if the "battery polarity" solution offered by alpha1 does not fix the problem, then here is something else to consider.

Should the service manager decide to "really give it to you" you could fall forward and break your nose. When you are practicing bending over and holding your ankles, do it near a wall. Once you are "in the position" lean forward so you head touches the wall. This will save you getting your nose broken.

Good luck with the key reprogramming.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:18 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The procedure via Loren is to basically "reset" a crashed key. If your light blinks normally when you press it (in your first post), then I don't think procedure this will do any good for you.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Tim: You've been to the joint haven't you....I'll bet you have joint tatoos too! Is that how you survived? What were you in for?

Oh and by-the-way.....I went back through the instructions given by the folks on the various things to do...and something clicked....I think it was the lock/unlock the car with the key....then get the key into the ignition within ten seconds and turn the ignition on. I don't think I was getting it in the ignition within the ten seconds.

At any rate, at this juncture I can take Alexander's suggestion and quit grousing. The key works now, and the stealership didn't get me for $150. All's well.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 10-17-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Remote key wont' work...?