Sponsored by:

Pricing on 996 turbos

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Shane D
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pricing on 996 turbos

I am just trying to understand the pricing structure on these cars. I have seen some for sale at well over $100,000.00 (including here on Rennlist). What would be special enough to keep prices this high?

On the flip side, I have found a few models with 45 to 55 thousand miles under $50,000.00. Are these probably just toasted and too beat to buy?

I know that every car is different, but I am just looking for some general guidelines. If I was to buy a 996 turbo next summer, the max would be 50ish. Is this a near impossible dream? Should I maybe settle for a C4S?

Interested in your feedback.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:16 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

45 to 55 is hardly "toasted" if the car has been taken care of. It means that the previous owner actually used it for what it was designed for and that is to drive instead of being a dust collector in the garage.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Jim...."toasted" is a bad definition. By the time you're ready to buy a TT next summer, they could well be down to the high 40's and 50's....there are some there now. Usually the price killer is related to mileage.....just as some of the higher priced cars are related to LOW mileagte...which doesn't necessarily mean you're getting a trouble free car. I'd look for one in the 25 to 35K mile range and have a PPI and get a DME readout of the car's history. I'd have no problem buying a well used but well maintained car....look at the service records. By next summer, your dream can be a viable reality.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Shane D
Pro

Smile

Thanks for the replies. I don't feel too bad about getting a car with close on 50,000 miles (80,000Kms). Most folks here seem to think that you should be able to get to 100,000 miles without major surgery. The new toy will be my DD, year round, including the snow. Even with that, my car will not see anywhere close to 10,000 miles per year.

I just wanted to post because I keep seeing 996 turbos for over $100,000.00 which makes no sense to me compared to a new turbo. I think I even saw in this forum the comment that $65,000.00 to $70,000.00 will get you a nice model. Too rich for my blood, but on further investigation I did find some at the high end of my "budget".
I guess I was just asking if there are indeed some nice turbos out there around $50,000.00? I am guessing that many recent owners are VERY aware of the current market.

Thanks again for any input.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 PM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the way to look at future price depreciation; loook to the prior models and years. And, with exceptions of course, they will tell you the floor.

For example; we 996 tt owners can look to the 993TT's (which have held exceptionally well, but have come down of late) and then the prior 964 series turbos. Looking past the 993's and their "last of the air cooled breed" content, we can see decent 964 cars's in the 50k range and holding solid. Just under those are the 911 series ending in '86 I think....and thaose are solid mid-40's cars. So, to believe the 996's will keep going downward at the rate the have been is to believe the earlier "floor" will fall out. Those earlier cars seemed to have bottomem in my estimation, and even the venerable 993TT's are finally adjusting to their place. Given that the low end of the 997TT market is in solid 6-figures, that spread, + the floor underneath says that the 996 TT's are about done (or even close to over done) in their recent "adjustment". I'm recommending them to my clients today as a great value.....but then most of you guy's know that......even as you've ridden them down as I have. Sure, a 997 is a better cars.....but at +$50-60k......it should be. I'lll wait a while. On the flip side, the earlier cars just are not as good, with the slight exception / preference on the 993TT's.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:49 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MK19
Here's the way to look at future price depreciation; loook to the prior models and years. And, with exceptions of course, they will tell you the floor.

For example; we 996 tt owners can look to the 993TT's (which have held exceptionally well, but have come down of late) and then the prior 964 series turbos. Looking past the 993's and their "last of the air cooled breed" content, we can see decent 964 cars's in the 50k range and holding solid. Just under those are the 911 series ending in '86 I think....and thaose are solid mid-40's cars. So, to believe the 996's will keep going downward at the rate the have been is to believe the earlier "floor" will fall out. Those earlier cars seemed to have bottomem in my estimation, and even the venerable 993TT's are finally adjusting to their place. Given that the low end of the 997TT market is in solid 6-figures, that spread, + the floor underneath says that the 996 TT's are about done (or even close to over done) in their recent "adjustment". I'm recommending them to my clients today as a great value......
I came to the exact same conclusion in my analysis....
Old 10-11-2007, 01:52 AM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

There have been two cars on eBay recently with sane color combos (one was black/black) that didn't even get bids of $50k. One had 35k miles, the other 45k. They're dropping, and not stopping.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:39 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I think the floor will continue to drop for a few reasons. First, there are way more 996tt's than 993tt's, etc. This holds the 993 series value higher.
Second, new cars get better, and there will soon be competitor models from Nissan and Lexus, which along with Audi will be competing initially for new car sales, then in the secondary market. Up til now, there has been only the ZO6 as a comparable alternative.
Third, it seems to me that repair costs are accelerating faster than purchase costs. That means increasing buyer wariness, and the need to pay less on purchase in event of needed repairs.
The increasing disenchantment with aftermarket warranties will reinforce repair concerns.
My guess is that we will see high 30's within 24 months for 01 cars. Newer years will probably only add a few thousand per year to sales price. AS
Old 10-11-2007, 08:08 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I wouldn't put too much stock in an ebay auction. Its one indicator, sure, but there are a lot of reasons why they are what they are. I'd be more inclined to predict value on previous model's performance as described above. I think they'll bottom out around 45 - 50k. Depends on how many are coming off lease right now. As that "glut" cleard up I think you'll see a small "bump" in value upward.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here in Hershey, I have contact with Mannheim auction drivers. Every other week, all the Northeast cars in the US off lease come through (7000 cars a day for the normal auction). Three different drivers have told me that Asian and Eastern European concerns are snapping up all the 996TT's they can get over the last 4-5 months and look to continue for the future....just shipping them out and doubling+ their money. Two of these gus are former law enforcement types.

What does this mean. The numbers argument is BS for the US, one cannot use sales numbers to say the 993 is worth more. In fact, I bet there will be about the same number of 996's out there as 993 in a year or two. US pricing will no likely go down. It might go up....if the market is made aware of the above fact.

FYI.

It is a good car. A useable exotic. For 60k, a steal. It is that many pounds Sterling in England...Russia...etc. I am thinking about getting into exporting the things myself......it is that lucrative.

JB
Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gonna have to call BS, AS has it, 996tt will be cheaper than 993tt soon.
Not that I don't want one. But come on, there are thousands of them out there.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:33 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J. Brinkley
Gonna have to call BS, AS has it, 996tt will be cheaper than 993tt soon.
Not that I don't want one. But come on, there are thousands of them out there.

Probably true....but I think with time the 996TT will find its place....it is far more tuneable. It is cheaper to repair (sort of). And heat seems to be less of an issue per my mechanic....

JB
Old 10-11-2007, 11:16 PM
bdhill
Advanced

Default 996tt auction price

Just curious, what are the cars selling for at the big dealer auction in PA?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bdhill
Just curious, what are the cars selling for at the big dealer auction in PA?

53-56k for cars with 29-19k mi....two examples I know of in the last auction....fyi, off lease, not "perfect" by any stretch of course
Old 10-12-2007, 04:23 AM
rafiki
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
I think the floor will continue to drop for a few reasons.......new cars get better, and there will soon be competitor models from Nissan and Lexus, which along with Audi will be competing initially for new car sales, then in the secondary market. Up til now, there has been only the ZO6 as a comparable alternative.AS
Agree that there are going to be many new models competing with both new 997tt and 996tt sales:.......also the new Nissan GTR. Audi R8 has lobbed in here(Oz)with a retail price between a new 997tt and a used 996tt.However, other than the GTR, none will have the modability of the 996tt.

How far wil they drop?
Worst case scenario is low enough for their owners not to sell for lack of value.I've already decided...I'm modding and keeping mine.

Quick Reply: Pricing on 996 turbos