Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise when cruising at speed ...bad differential?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:52 AM
John in Norcal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by medici78
How far did they take it apart to examine the wheel bearings? My car is making some noise and I can't tell whether its just amplified road noise from the combination of JIC coilovers with solid mounts and 19" wheels/tires. My mechanic checked it as best he could without taking anything apart and said everything looked normal.
I'm not sure but Sharkwerks said they made a video for me to show me how bad they were shot. I'll tell you after I see it.

My P-dealer also couldn't tell me exactly what was causing the noise without taking things apart but Sharkwerks went on a test drive with me and were so sure it was the wheel bearings and they were right.

I'll tell you this. The noise that I had was unbearable. It didn't matter if the car was in gear or not, clutch depressed or not. It was strictly a function of speed. The faster I drove the louder the noise. And it clearly came from the front of the car.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's your wife making all the whining noise cus you bought a turbo instead of taking her to France for vacation.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

here you go Jon... I forgot to show you when you picked the car up (go easy on the clutch- no launching!)

Here's a video of it before we fixed the issue:
http://videos.g33kd.net/P1010998.MOV

Right click and save as...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

How far did they take it apart to examine the wheel bearings? My car is making some noise and I can't tell whether its just amplified road noise from the combination of JIC coilovers with solid mounts and 19" wheels/tires. My mechanic checked it as best he could without taking anything apart and said everything looked normal.
Seen/heard it enough times on these cars that you just know when you drive it if the bearings are shot...

here's what Jon's sound like now

http://videos.g33kd.net/P1010999.MOV

Again right click and save as...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:58 PM
John in Norcal
Instructor

Originally Posted by sharkster
here you go Jon... I forgot to show you when you picked the car up (go easy on the clutch- no launching!)

Here's a video of it before we fixed the issue:
http://videos.g33kd.net/P1010998.MOV

Right click and save as...
Alex, the videos make it very clear why I was getting that terrible noise. I just took the car up and down the freeway a couple of times and the noise is gone. Now I can enjoy driving again. Thanks again!!

ps. It's going to be tough to drive like a gramma for 300 miles until the new clutch breaks in.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No worries jon, those were some shot bearings! Glad you can enjoy the car again and looks like you got the hang of the clutch as well. Go easy on her for the first few hundred miles
Old 10-26-2007, 09:44 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you guys replace all the bearings? How did you pinpoint which one it was? Is there anything I can look for without taking anything apart to confirm. The reason I ask is because I am not sure if it is just amplified noise resulting from the JIC coilover mounts and 19" wheel/tire combo or if I really have a problem.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:31 AM
John in Norcal
Instructor

Did you guys replace all the bearings? How did you pinpoint which one it was? Is there anything I can look for without taking anything apart to confirm. The reason I ask is because I am not sure if it is just amplified noise resulting from the JIC coilover mounts and 19" wheel/tire combo or if I really have a problem.
In my case, the noise was clearly coming from the front of the car. From listening, I couldn't tell if it was the front left or right. But if you have equal mileage on both bearings, you probably should replace both of them at the same time.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For others who have an increasing noise at speed but do not have a bad bearing, my old tires {Pirelli's} made an increasing noise with speed. I bought new MPS2's and the problem was solved.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:32 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
For others who have an increasing noise at speed but do not have a bad bearing, my old tires {Pirelli's} made an increasing noise with speed. I bought new MPS2's and the problem was solved.
I have PS2's on mine...

Quick Reply: Whining noise when cruising at speed ...bad differential?