Sponsored by:

Roll fenders or remove spacers ..advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM
rafiki
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll fenders or remove spacers ..advice appreciated

I recently bought 19' kahn wheels with Advan tyres.
Despite asking him to remove them, my dealer left on the spacers that I previously had on the car(F 7mm and R 15mm).

The wheels specs are :

8.5" 45 ET
11" 40 ET

I'm expereincing occassional minor rubbing in the rear due to protruding rear tyres. Fronts are fine.

Now, I'm considering removing the spacers or rolling the rear fenders.

For those guys that have rolled their fenders, I'd be interested in knowing how long ago this was done and if there has been any issues with paint cracking.

Do spacers on 19 inch wheels(40 offset) provide a handling advantage?

These wheels and tyres are strictly for road use..stock hollow's will be used for any track work.

What would you do in my situation?

Feedback appreciated
Attached Images      
Old 10-01-2007, 11:58 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I am no expert on the spacer thing...But I would just remove them...rolling your fenders will not change the look.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It looks like the tires protrude too far for fender rolling to help. Jack the car up and remove the rear spacers. You'll be done in 20 minutes
Old 10-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

A 25 rear offset is way to high. I would bring it back to around 30 to 35. This will bring your wheels back in under the fender lips and stop the rubbing.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:40 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try pulling the spacers out first. If that doesn't work you can roll the fender lips. If they heat the paint and take their time, you should get by without cracking the paint. You could also dial in some more negative camber.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 AM
rafiki
Instructor

Thanks guys for the feedback..spacers coming out and I'll post more pics.

Originally Posted by LT1
Jack the car up and remove the rear spacers. You'll be done in 20 minutes
Thanks Lt1...my abilities to "work" on the car and any handiman stuff are limited.

I did use a grinder for the first time yesterday to grind away concrete driveway lip into my garage to eliminate front spoiler rubbing...and to install bath spout!

Was very pleased with myself..as as the wife

Using a jack...don't own one......but next item on the list.
Dealer will do it cost free anyway and I'll get a free cup of cofee and a friendly perve at all the delights the dealership has to offer and check out the cars while I'm there.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 AM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Lt1...my abilities to "work" on the car and any handiman stuff are limited.

I did use a grinder for the first time yesterday to grind away concrete driveway lip into my garage to eliminate front spoiler rubbing...and to install bath spout!

Was very pleased with myself..as as the wife

Using a jack...don't own one......but next item on the list.
Dealer will do it cost free anyway and I'll get a free cup of cofee and a friendly perve at all the delights the dealership has to offer and check out the cars while I'm there.

[/QUOTE]

You do own a jack. The one that comes with the car. I've found it to be the fastest way to get one wheel in the air to swap out wheels or pop off your spacer. Everything you need is right in your car's toolkit.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:56 AM
rafiki
Instructor

[/QUOTE]
You do own a jack. The one that comes with the car. I've found it to be the fastest way to get one wheel in the air to swap out wheels or pop off your spacer. Everything you need is right in your car's toolkit.[/QUOTE]

Lat time I used the car's jack, I bent the aluminium handle out of shape and I needed a new one!

Quick Reply: Roll fenders or remove spacers ..advice appreciated