Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Articles about TT's perfomance in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007 | 11:24 AM
GBG
Pro

Default Articles about TT's perfomance in Snow

My wife thinks I'm nuts when I tell her that my TT with snow tires is a great snow car. I have no credibility on the issue becasue she knows how much I love to drive the car, and thinks I will say anything to prolong its annual "driving season". Can anyone point me to an article in a car magazine (or wherever)touting the virtues of a 911 TT in the snow? I know I've seen a few over the years. Thanks! GBG
Old 09-21-2007 | 12:42 PM
peachboy
Racer

I'll take her for a ride up in the great white north and she'll see for herself......is she good looking by the way .....
Old 09-21-2007 | 03:32 PM
cgeorgan
Instructor

How about asking her to prove you...wrong? Wouldn't that actually save you a little bit of time?
Old 09-21-2007 | 03:35 PM
cgeorgan
Instructor

Default Here's one testimonial

Name:  Porsche 996TT in snow.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  19.6 KB
Old 09-21-2007 | 05:19 PM
GBG
Pro

Originally Posted by cgeorgan
How about asking her to prove you...wrong? Wouldn't that actually save you a little bit of time?
Obviously you're not married.
Old 09-23-2007 | 06:31 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Pier has in excess of 275,000KM's on his turbo and he lives in Switzerland where it obviously snows frequently and judging by the attached photos he isn' afraid to use it in the snow.

Why don't you show her these photos to put her mind at ease??
Attached Images       
Old 09-23-2007 | 03:57 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

GBG, do they salt the roads in NY?
in toronto, they just dump that salty crap everywhere. A TT is probably a great car to drive in the snow, but if the roads are heavily salted, galvanized body or not, if your going to keep the car longterm, i wouldn't do it.
my 2 cents (now worth the same US Dollars )
Old 09-23-2007 | 04:06 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

I would agree with the above poster...The following issues:
1. snow depth...easy to get high centered if you get significant depth
2. Salt or chemicals...bad for the paint
3. Gravel (like they use here in CO)...sure to get chips and broken windshields

other than that I'll bet it works just fine.
Old 09-23-2007 | 05:14 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

if you really have your heart set on driving in the snow, grab a couple of cans of rust bullet or POR-15 and put a layer of it under the car and in the wheel wells and stuff (any place under the car you can access).

that stuff is just miraculous and will keep ur car sans rust.
Old 09-23-2007 | 09:00 PM
GBG
Pro

Thanks Guys. All good advice.

This is my 4th winter with the TT, and each year I say I'm going to drive it all winter and each year I get talked out of it by all of the excellent arguments you guys have just made (salt will ruin paint, car too low to ground, leasing a winter beater is cheap, etc). Well, this year I'm comitted! I've already bought the snow tires and I'm going for it! Letting the car sit for 4 months to preserve paint etc just isn't cuttin' it with me anymore. With 4 kids, I just don't get to use the car enough, so I can't let it sit idle for a third of the year. I'm gonna drive the car all winter, wash it often to deal with salt, and enjoy it. Come April I'll let you know how things went!
Old 09-23-2007 | 09:03 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

sounds good boss!
don't forget to get factory porsche snowchains
then u can have some real fun up at the cottage!
Old 09-23-2007 | 11:54 PM
rfl
Advanced

Well, this year I'm comitted! I've already bought the snow tires and I'm going for it! Letting the car sit for 4 months to preserve paint etc just isn't cuttin' it with me anymore. With 4 kids, I just don't get to use the car enough, so I can't let it sit idle for a third of the year. I'm gonna drive the car all winter, wash it often to deal with salt, and enjoy it.
I don't think you have to let the car "sit idle for a third of the year." Rather, you might consider not driving the TT only on the days when there is enough snow that the roads have to be salted. As I said earlier, in Westchester County, NY (35 miles north of Manhattan), there are only about 6 to 10 days of heavy snow each winter. Why not use another car those days (and maybe the day or two after a heavy snow storm, when the roads still have a lot of slush and salt)? Most of the rest of the days of the winter are just clear (albeit cold), and you can avoid the salt hazard.
Old 09-24-2007 | 12:16 AM
ploglet
Pro

Is Pier on this board? Does anyone know his user name?

Originally Posted by Condor Man
Pier has in excess of 275,000KM's on his turbo and he lives in Switzerland where it obviously snows frequently and judging by the attached photos he isn' afraid to use it in the snow.

Why don't you show her these photos to put her mind at ease??
Old 09-24-2007 | 12:42 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

I believe it is pierre...know that is his 6speed login...don't know the rennlist one.

here is a thread:

Pierre Winter driving
Old 09-24-2007 | 08:18 AM
GBG
Pro

Originally Posted by rfl
I don't think you have to let the car "sit idle for a third of the year." Rather, you might consider not driving the TT only on the days when there is enough snow that the roads have to be salted. As I said earlier, in Westchester County, NY (35 miles north of Manhattan), there are only about 6 to 10 days of heavy snow each winter. Why not use another car those days (and maybe the day or two after a heavy snow storm, when the roads still have a lot of slush and salt)? Most of the rest of the days of the winter are just clear (albeit cold), and you can avoid the salt hazard.
Thanks RFL. What you described is actually my plan, but what ends up happening in real life when you use the car as a dauily driver is that you get caught in the snow. For example, if I leave in the morning and it snows midday, I end up driving home in the snow. I will certainly pay more attention to the weather forecasts, but "possibility of snow" is a fairly regular forecast. So, unless I'm really conservative about it, I will end up getting caught a few times. (Obviously I won't take the car out if a 12" storm is in the forecast). Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to trying it out in light snow.

Quick Reply: Articles about TT's perfomance in Snow