Sponsored by:

How to sell a 996tt

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM
jeff996tt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to sell a 996tt

I have been trying to sell my car for the past month and no buyers. All of the people that viewed the car said it's in excellent condition. The PPI came back as the car is in perfect condition. Is the price too high for a silver with black interior 996tt with 33,000 miles. I have listed it with rennlist of course and autotrader, cars.com and craigslist and just seem to get low ball offers. I know the values have dropped but I do not think that much. My price is 57,000 with stock rims and 59900 with both sets of rims. Here is the link to the ad let me know if I should just sell it on consignment, drop the price and shed a tear or try something else.
Thanks, Jeff
http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval
Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly too many 996tt on the market?

But I'm still surprised your sub-$60k 996tt hasn't sold.

I say ignore the low-ballers and stay close to firm to what you want unless you really need to dump it now.

GL with the sale.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 PM
pilot996
Intermediate

After just purchasing 996TT and looking all around the country, I can give you my insight.....Your car gets contradicted in your advertisement. Diverter valves, modded suspension, wheels, special filters; etc. and you say never tracked/nevermodified. I would run like hell at first glance. Any hint of misrepresentation makes a potential buyer nervous and might question all other claims you make about the car. Not flaming you, just being honest and letting you know what people are probably thinking. Get rid of the never modified part.... quick. And I wouldn't even bring up the track issue unless asked.

Two months ago when I was looking, when I saw a modified car, I would skip it almost immediately unless it was only an exhaust or something else small. When you see a semi to heavily modded car, I immediately wonder how hard the car has been pounded for the last six years. You also have to look at the mindset of potential buyers that looks at your car, in stock form, as being an already incredibly quick car. Those mods might indicate the car wasn't fast enough for you, or other previous owners. In any case, some may logically think your car has been driven heavily at its upper limits at all stages of modification along the way. I think it is indisputable that as mods go up, longevity and reliabilty go down.

Good luck to you and at least throw the stock rims back on there. Ebay the rims and exhaust. Throw OEM back on there. Those BLING rims say it all before I read the first word. The price is right and a month really isn't that long, but I understand how these cars depreciate every month. Every month is a few hundred bucks.

Hope u take all I said the right way.

DW
Old 08-28-2007, 10:09 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Jeff: I think the price is just right for that model year and amount of miles. The car looks great. I would not lower the price. Have you considered placeing the car on e-bay..I found my 03-tt there.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:38 AM
DublinOh
Instructor

I agree with pilot996...put back the stock wheels...remove the dv and other mod statements...call it "adult driven", etc....state it has been "dealer serviced" if it has been. Let the buyer know about the springs and other stuff after they are interested...and educated about the car. Ebay the wheels and tires. Good luck..nice car
Old 08-29-2007, 01:24 AM
jeff996tt
Intermediate

Default How to sell a 996tt

"I agree with pilot996...put back the stock wheels...remove the dv and other mod statements...call it "adult driven", etc....state it has been "dealer serviced" if it has been. Let the buyer know about the springs and other stuff after they are interested...and educated about the car. Ebay the wheels and tires. Good luck..nice car"

I think you are right i changed the ad and changed the pictures to have the stock rims on the car.

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-29-2007, 03:31 AM
fstede1
Instructor

Jeff
I just purchased my 04tt just 3 weeks ago after looking for 8 months. Part of my delay was finding my choice of color combo, Seal Gray/Black and no mods. My car was lowered at time of purchase, that I was planning on doing. Other than 3M bra and tinted windows car is stock.
Some observations at my end:
* DW is right on in all he says most people what limited mods maybe exhaust and lowered car.
* Every mechanic I talked to (3) all said stay away from 01 year.
* There are a ton of silver cars out there.
* Being the volume of 02s out there. For $6k more a buyer can get into an 02 or newer. At this price range its not a big deal for a buyer to go from $59k to say $65-$70
Good luck, your priced right and your pixs and copy on list show car very well.

Fstede1
Old 08-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by DublinOh
I agree with pilot996...put back the stock wheels...remove the dv and other mod statements...call it "adult driven", etc....state it has been "dealer serviced" if it has been. Let the buyer know about the springs and other stuff after they are interested...and educated about the car. Ebay the wheels and tires. Good luck..nice car
I was considering the D Valves, how does this affect the car??

Can it be spotted in the engine??

Does it make any noise when you drive the car like those Rice Rockets with Blow Off valves??
Old 08-29-2007, 10:32 AM
mpclimber
Instructor

Originally Posted by Condor Man

Does it make any noise when you drive the car like those Rice Rockets with Blow Off valves??

The Diverter Valves that are being discussed (most likely from a company such as forge or baileys) are simply beefier replacements for the stock components and function the same way (no increased noise and no increased performance) but are less prone to fail.
Replacing the DVs with solid piston units is really a preventative measure. The stock components use a rubber diaphragm that are prone to breaking and leaking boost (especially with upgraded software pushing a higher PSI than the stock bits were designed to handle). One caveat is that they do require servicing (lubing the piston) every so often.
As far as being spotted, especially if they are black like the stock ones, you need to know what you are looking for. That said, I looked for them on every used 996TT I looked at because they are a PITA to install and a PITA to remove, so if someone had moded the car, they'd probably leave them in thinking no one would notice.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 AM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

It looks much better with the stock rims.

Curious why someone said to stay away from 01's. Its the same car as the 02 less the glovebox. nothing changed.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mpclimber
The Diverter Valves that are being discussed (most likely from a company such as forge or baileys) are simply beefier replacements for the stock components and function the same way (no increased noise and no increased performance) but are less prone to fail.
Replacing the DVs with solid piston units is really a preventative measure. The stock components use a rubber diaphragm that are prone to breaking and leaking boost (especially with upgraded software pushing a higher PSI than the stock bits were designed to handle). One caveat is that they do require servicing (lubing the piston) every so often.
As far as being spotted, especially if they are black like the stock ones, you need to know what you are looking for. That said, I looked for them on every used 996TT I looked at because they are a PITA to install and a PITA to remove, so if someone had moded the car, they'd probably leave them in thinking no one would notice.
+1 Those are mods to replace weak stock parts. They do not have to be mentioned in the ad... more like an additional selling point to the new buyer to let him/her know that those were replaced with better parts as preventive maintenance...

Good luck with the sale. Looks like a very nice car!!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:28 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd return the car to bone stock, sell off the parts. Any modded car is a hard sell these days. Cars like yours ,that are stock ,have gone for 50-58k around here lately.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:12 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Excellent hijack!

Originally Posted by Condor Man

Old 08-29-2007, 07:30 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Two thoughts. First, I think the advice to downplay the mods is wise. I have always felt that a modded car is less valuable on the secondary market. Everybody wants to buy a car driven by an 80 year old grandmother. This car will have quite a story on its DME. Buyers are rightfully cautious about modified cars-the next thing that breaks will be very expensive, and what do you do when a cel occurs? The secondary buyer may not be able to go back to the original shop or the dealer. It would be best to reconvert the car to stock, including the reprogramming, but leave the suspension alone.

It will be much easier to trade the car to a dealer. Granted, you will get the wholesale value, but chances are that if you remove most of the mods, the DME won't be read when they appraise. If you are buying a new car, you save sales tax (obviously) to partially offset your loss.

I am on record as saying the only mods which won't decrease value are ROW suspension and (?) exhaust. Everything else costs double. 1.) The price you paid plus 2.) the value you lose.
Sorry to be such a downer. AS
Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I would be looking at the 55k range. I LIKE mods as I would do them myself. But I already have wheels

Still trying to sell my M3 and S4

Quick Reply: How to sell a 996tt