Call me crazy but...I love the 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 PM
cgeorgan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call me crazy but...I love the 997 GT3

Unfortunately, I just can't afford one.

However, I am the proud owner of a 2002 996 TT, and I got this crazy idea in my head this weekend.

Long story short - I would like to perform a semi-extreme makeover on my TT. I would like to paint it white, add GT3-style front/rear spoilers, as well as 997 GT3 rims. I have this picture in my head of all white with powder blue "turbo" graphics on each door (reminiscent of the early 930 Turbos). The rims would be matching powder blue.

I'd love to re-do the interior as well. I love the savannah color I have right now, but adding wood would be ideal.

Lastly, I'll probably soup up the engine - new turbos, chip, flywheel (MAYBE, as this is a daily driver), exhaust.

Where can I get started, and are there places on the East Coast (preferably Northeast) who specialize in this sort of work?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
dave1200
Pro

cheaper to buy a GT3 in the long run. Plus if you do that to your stock car, youll prob never be able to resell it without taking a beating
Old 08-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Dave, by the time you do that much work on your existing car, you will have been able to buy the GT3. I was in a similar situation. I inherited a 993 with a supercharger and GT2 wing and front spoiler, etc., and had intended to keep it and do a bunch of work on it , then found a pristine 996TT with 9000 miles and bought it. I figured, why have a put together copy when I could have the real thing.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I can understand what you are saying.... same boat here... but there are so many areas that would have to be changed to get it to look (inside/out) like a 997GT3RS that is almost insane to do that to a nice example of a 996TT...

But if you do... make sure you keep us posted with LOTS of photos
Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 AM
cgeorgan
Instructor

Default $135k to renovate a TT?

Originally Posted by dave1200
cheaper to buy a GT3 in the long run. Plus if you do that to your stock car, youll prob never be able to resell it without taking a beating
Which is kind of what you are saying. My TT is a daily driver - I've put 30k miles on it in 2 years. It's driven year-round with snow tires during cold weather, and I almost always attach the ski rack as well.

There are inherent benefits in my mind of having a used car in terms of the way you approach using it. Put another way - if I were to blow $135k (probably more like $150k) on the GT3 of my dreams - I would likely treat it like a garage queen, and NEVER track it. When I do spring for an actual GT3, it will be the RSR type, gutted and ready to hit the track. No nice wood interior, no A/C, etc.

I was thinking I could do the whole job for $50,000...yes, that's pricey, yes it's as much as an average new 3-series, but mechanically my TT is sound, and engine changes notwithstanding, I really only wanted to make cosmetic changes.

The outside needs to be completely repainted regardless...daily driving takes it's toll on these things.

I understand what you're saying regarding resale, and that's a valid point. I don't intend to sell the car, ever. I'd much rather prefer to wring every last mile of life out of it.

All of this is speculation, as I still don't know a reputable shop who I could approach to get an estimate on this kind of work.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 AM
rafiki
Instructor

[QUOTE=cgeorgan]

Long story short - I would like to perform a semi-extreme makeover on my TT. I would like to paint it white, add GT3-style front/rear spoilers, as well as 997 GT3 rims. I have this picture in my head of all white with powder blue "turbo" graphics on each door (reminiscent of the early 930 Turbos). The rims would be matching powder blue.

I'd love to re-do the interior as well. I love the savannah color I have right now, but adding wood would be ideal.

Lastly, I'll probably soup up the engine - new turbos, chip, flywheel (MAYBE, as this is a daily driver), exhaust.
....if you were going to paint it anyway, it makes sense (everything else you mentioned amounts to performance/aesthetic enhancement), but otherwise, if you're painting it so that it looks like a GT2....some might call you...
you guessed it..."crazy".

Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 PM
cgeorgan
Instructor

Default Ah yes

[QUOTE=rafiki]
Originally Posted by cgeorgan

....if you were going to paint it anyway, it makes sense (everything else you mentioned amounts to performance/aesthetic enhancement), but otherwise, if you're painting it so that it looks like a GT2....some might call you...
you guessed it..."crazy".

You're absolutely right...that is an important distinction. I am re-painting it because it NEEDS to be repainted. It's lapis blue, and it definitely looks like it has 50k miles. It also needs a little bit of body work - especially the nose, which is pitted beyond belief (that's where I got the idea of replacing it with a GT3 style front fascia).

Everything for a reason!

Quick Reply: Call me crazy but...I love the 997 GT3