Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Who ows both P-Cars and F-Cars ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Who ows both P-Cars and F-Cars ???

I'll admitt knowing next to nothing about Ferraris.
I saw one the other day that I thought was an awesome looking car and wasn't overly flashy.

It was a 575 Modano ????

If anyone owns or have owned both makes please let me know whether you would recommend this car as a addition to the fleet.

Seems to me that most Ferraris have ridiculously low mileage....can you actually drive them ? Maybe not as a full-on daily driver but at least drive it. What about maintenance, are they always in the shop or are those Ferraris of a few years ago.

Any input appreciated.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not own both, but yes they do have lots of maintence from what I have heard. Not to mention very expensive maintence, I have heard the 30K check up is around $15k (engine out) for cars like the 360. This is why you find a lot with under 30k miles...
Old 07-16-2007, 06:52 PM
dave1200
Pro

Ive driven both. I own an 03 996tt. (i have owned older ferraris)

The ferrari is a very fast touring car. If you ever plan on selling your ferrari, do nt drive it, you will take a beating on mileage..

If you plan on keeping it for 10 years, drive it like you stole it. The 550/575 are supposed to be really reliable, but you will still have $10k services more than you want.

The 996tt is more of a well rounded car. Something you can enjoy, track, drive the **** out of, and still drive it home. The 996tt is MUCH better value in my opinion.

When i was shopping for my TT, i drove a Z06, a 575m and a 360. I drove my TT last, and thats what I drove home.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:24 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I have owned a 360, 430, 575 and 599, and strongly recommend a Ferrari as an addition to your fleet. The 360s are very reliable, and fun to drive. A Challenge Stradale (360 derivative) is a car you can enjoy, drive the **** out of, and drive home - though it's more like a GT3 than a TT. If you like bigger torque, then look into the Maranello - a wonderful 12 cylinder GT. I suggest asking your question on one of the Ferrari boards. Good luck.

Ferrari buyers seem to crave low mileage cars. Very, very low mileage cars. I think some owners don't drive their cars because they're worried about resale values. Others are more collectors than drivers.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 PM
DocSlow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peachboy
I'll admitt knowing next to nothing about Ferraris.
I saw one the other day that I thought was an awesome looking car and wasn't overly flashy.

It was a 575 Modano ????

If anyone owns or have owned both makes please let me know whether you would recommend this car as a addition to the fleet.

Seems to me that most Ferraris have ridiculously low mileage....can you actually drive them ? Maybe not as a full-on daily driver but at least drive it. What about maintenance, are they always in the shop or are those Ferraris of a few years ago.

Any input appreciated.
My family has a 996TT (P-car) and 348TS (F-car) among other cars. The Porsche is obviously a much more daily drivable car. The Ferrari has an incredible fun factor and is quite drivable once you get the hang of it. I'm sure the newer ones are far better in this respect, as well. The maintenance is expensive on the F-car and it does require more maintenance than the P-car, but it's still an incredible machine.

I took a few pictures a couple of nights ago:

The Audi is my daily driver that also sees quite a bit of track duty. It's a ~450 HP stage 3 with upgraded suspension/brakes/differential, etc. The Ferrari is a 348TS, like I said above. It is a 1990 model year. We've had it 17 years and it has just over 20K miles. Over the past 5 years, I've by far driven it more than anyone else in my family. Ever since my father got the 996TT, he has driven the 348 much less. The 996TT is his daily driver and now has ~60K miles on it.

Here are some more pictures I've taken:

Here are some other pictures that I recently posted on Rennlist in the Carrera GT forum:

Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 PM
DocSlow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wch
I have owned a 360, 430, 575 and 599, and strongly recommend a Ferrari as an addition to your fleet. The 360s are very reliable, and fun to drive. A Challenge Stradale (360 derivative) is a car you can enjoy, drive the **** out of, and drive home - though it's more like a GT3 than a TT. If you like bigger torque, then look into the Maranello - a wonderful 12 cylinder GT. I suggest asking your question on one of the Ferrari boards. Good luck.

Ferrari buyers seem to crave low mileage cars. Very, very low mileage cars. I think some owners don't drive their cars because they're worried about resale values. Others are more collectors than drivers.
You have a 599? Congrats. That's a beautiful machine and everything I've read says it's an unbelievable driving experience. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures you'd be willing to share, would you?

F430s are no slouch, either.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Nice cars! But that house is freaking sweet!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:43 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not that Ferraris are unreliable, it's that they require pretty intensive maintenance at fairly narrow intervals. 15k service, belts, chains, etc. There are lots of good independent Ferrari mechanics around, so it's just a matter of finding one who you trust.

Personally, I don't like Ferraris all that much. I've been around them growing up and I know a good number of Ferrari guys. It sort of goes back to the old "dating a supermodel who treats you like crap" mantra: they're fun to drive and entertaining, but they really can't take track abuse like modern Porsches and parts/service is expensive.

It's like there are two kinds of older (308/328/348/Mondial/TR/512) used Ferraris: ones that were driven hard and put away wet by guys who could afford to buy them but not necessarily afford to maintain them, and ones that sat in the garage. Either way, a used Ferrari will probably need some TLC to bring it back to where you'll enjoy owning it and not view it as a liability.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:13 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

Love the Nogaro B4 Sport Package S4 with the OZ Superlegarras. I handed over my '01 santorin with sport when I was living in the city and just picked up an '02 996TT to get back into the swing of things now that I moved back to the burbs.
I really miss the Audi. It really had the best attributes of a sports car, touring sedan and SUV rolled into one. That said, this is the impractical sports car window in life.
If you want the F-car, but it! Fortune favors the bold.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

I have both. My P-car is a 2001 996 TT, which is superb. The F-car is my G-Wagen. I watch the gas gauge and go "F***!"
Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Woodster
Drifting

The S4 is sweet as well as the Crib,
348's dont cut it for me (no offense), they have "no performance".
I drove and F1 F-430 last week and would have bought it if I had $250,000 cash in my briefcase...
Amazing car and F1 transmission in the 430, very fast and very comfortable!

MK
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove mine all the time... The 512i is probably one of the best looking cars rolling down the street...it is rather heavy in tight roads but that doesn't bother me much.. I just sold my 1999 550 Maranello but it was a great car. Unfortunatley the Ferrari dealers think they need to bend you over everytime you bring the car in. They wanted to change all my injectors to the tune of 7k. I said, " I can buy those bosch injectors for 175 bucks a piece why so much? also can we try cleaning them?" answer no..I picked the car up took the injectors out. Had Rob King (S.Car.Go Racing) put them on the injector dyno and clean them , 11 of them were fine ,one was bad.. bought a new injector and saved 6500 bucks... so the down side is that I have never had good luck with the dealers being reasonable about anything on those cars .and services are very expensive.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:23 PM
DocSlow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Woodster
The S4 is sweet as well as the Crib,
348's dont cut it for me (no offense), they have "no performance".
I drove and F1 F-430 last week and would have bought it if I had $250,000 cash in my briefcase...
Amazing car and F1 transmission in the 430, very fast and very comfortable!

MK
No offense taken. The 340 sucks compared to most others. It's a slow turd. It does handle extremely well, though.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 PM
toddabrams69
Track Day

I just sold my ferrari 348 and bought a 2001 996 turbo.
the maint. on the ferrari is ridiculous! this is my 5th turbo and you just can't beat the reliability.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:24 AM
peachboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Pete in DC
I have both. My P-car is a 2001 996 TT, which is superb. The F-car is my G-Wagen. I watch the gas gauge and go "F***!"
That's what an F-Car is...hey I've had a lot of those.....
You know you drive a guzzeler when your local gas company send you a christmas card.

Thanks for the info. I did surf on the F-Car website but wanted an unbiased opinion. As amazing as the Ferrari are, as beautifull as the Aston Martin are seems nothing compare to Porsche for reliability and daily driving....that's what they mean by "There are no substitutes..."

Quick Reply: OT: Who ows both P-Cars and F-Cars ???