Sponsored by:

DME Swap..Is it just that easy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:55 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DME Swap..Is it just that easy?

Hi All, I have an 04 TT, and I just bought a moddified DME from FVD,now my understanding is I just cant change the ECU with out going to the dealer to have the new DME coded to the car, I guess I just want to know if this is correct.Thanks in advance
Old 06-24-2007, 11:05 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes the dealer will need to do his magic with the PIWIS or PST2.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:10 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Thanks for the quick reply, I cant wait to see how it works!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 PM
SoFlaTTX50
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, you can do it yourself- it is "plug and play."I have a 2004 996TT X50 with the FVD stage 4 DME and exhaust etc. The car runs strong and often hits 1.3 on the boost. You can swap the box out yourself and no programing or tuning is needed once you do (assuming it is the correct dme for your car). It is not that hard once you see it done. The box is behind the passenger side back seat, behind the speakers/under the carpet. You pop the bezel off the bose speaker, unscrew them, then unplug the speaker box and take it out. You need to unscrew the rear seat back latch post on each side - I think those are torx 10. Once you take the speakers out you can remove the carpet and you will see the bracket that holds the dme underneath. Unscrew the bracket and flip it over. Unscrew the box from the bracket, unplug and reverse with the new one. The plugs are idiot proof and easy to figure out. If you call FVD, the tech will walk you through it. If you are not in the mood to learn how to do it, then just have a tech do it for you. I am sure you will enjoy it... Good luck
Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 PM
scotty slc
Track Day

You will Need to have your cars specific vin and imobilizer codes put into the new DME.... Just went through this. If you are having your factory ECU sent out to be programmed you will not need the dealer as your ECU retains the factory VIN and Imobilizer data.

Hope this helps
Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Thanks for all your replys, I did in fact find out I will have to take the car to the dealer to get it programmed for my car...Thanks guys!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 PM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just hope that the dealer doesn't say the ECU needs software update and do that for you. Once they do that it is back to the stock maps.

Quick Reply: DME Swap..Is it just that easy?