Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSS9 rattle in rear upper mount - SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PSS9 rattle in rear upper mount - SOLVED!

The top of the rear PSS9 shock is rattling in its mount enough that it will make me crazy. I thought it might be the adjusters, but the tech that did the corner weight and alignment this morning said he could see the top of the shock moving up and down as I drove over bumps. He thinks there is discussion of adding rubber isolators to the upper mount online somewhere. Anyone heard of this problem, and the solution?

Jeff

Last edited by MidnighTT; 06-15-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:50 PM
jipettersen
Intermediate

Default PSS) - noise

I had this in the front. Had to change the rubber plates on top of sping .
It was ok when the car was cold, but soon as it was warmed up it was this kind of noise.
I hear they change this to metal (GT3), it's stronger but tranfer more sound from the suspension.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:57 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you just install them? Sounds like the top nut for the hat was not tightened down all the way.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:27 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Did you just install them? Sounds like the top nut for the hat was not tightened down all the way.
The top nut and jam nut are tight, and the tie wrap I put on the adjuster didn't help. The alignement tech suggested a disk of rubber between the mounting plate and the washer.

The rattle (sounds like coins rattling in a metal bowl) is definitely in the interior. Since it's not the adjuster ****, there nothing left except the nut/washer/mounting plate.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2007, 02:10 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would take them out again, disassemble them, and make sure everything is put together correctly. Something is wrong with the installation, they should not do that when put together properly.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:07 AM
MidnighTT
Racer

I found the rattle source. The moral of the story: do NOT assume the parts you received in a sealed package from a reputable manufacturer are assembled correctly. I discovered a bonus washer under the rear shock dust cover:

Note that it is sitting on the bump stop. The pic below shows where the bump stop is after the dust cover has been slipped on:

The washer was free to bounce up and down between the bump stop and the dust cover. There is no mention of the washer in the installation instructions, nor is it shown in any of the installation instruction pics. I'm kinda thinking it was not supposed to be in the kit.

Do any of you know if it is supposed to fit somewhere on the rear shock?

Jeff
Old 06-16-2007, 01:11 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnighTT
Do any of you know if it is supposed to fit somewhere on the rear shock?
When used on other type 911s the washer #4 sits between the upper spring lock #2 and the upper shock mount #8.

Quick Reply: PSS9 rattle in rear upper mount - SOLVED!