Sponsored by:

How's this sound for an 02 tt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How's this sound for an 02 tt?

I was doing a hit and miss phone call thing with a fellow I was referred to who's got some financial difficulties going.

We finally got together and I guess things got worse since we first tried to get together. He's offering me an 02 TT, full leather black interior, silver outside...32K miles on the clock...."lots of options" (whatever that means)

He bought it last year from a friend for $73K, then fell on hard times. It's been driven about 1800 miles since he got it....and garaged most of the time.

All he wants if for me to pay it off...he owes $58K. I'm going to go see/drive it tomorrow.

I was really looking for a dark blue TT with the X50 package in it (like the one currently on Sloane's site for $83K)...and I'm not too hot on silver....but the price is tempting to say the least. Obviously a thorough PPI would be in order.

What do you folks who know this car think about the prospect of doing this?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 AM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my knowledge of the market, $58k is a good deal. Not mind-blowing, but I'd imagine he could probably get $62-63k if he sat on it for a bit... It's a great car in any color with any options, but are you sure you want to spend that much money on one that isn't just right?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Jim W
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know the car, but it sounds like a good buy if you won't regret the color problem later. For a toy like this, I think many people want to get just what they want. For me the car sounds good, so if you don't want it then give him my name.
Jim
Old 05-29-2007, 02:21 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Jim: I'm going into this without the real interest or elevated heartbeat that you really need before you jump into a deal. I have a preference for a different color combination to start with...but if something came along that was a really good deal, I might take it, drive it for a while....but not keep it. That would seem to suggest .....why do it at all?

I'll PM you wi th the fellow's name and contact info if I decide not to go for the deal. I'll also have more specific info by then....but I really want the X50 package....and I dont' think this has it.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 74 Posts

I wasn't too hot on silver either. Then I bought the C5 Pewter Corvette I owned until last spring, and I can tell you that keeping a silver car clean is so much easier than pretty much any other car out there. my black 996TT is a bitch to keep clean... Love how it looks when it is freshly washed and dried, but it doesnt' stay that way long, especially with this mid-atlantic pollen coating everything in its path!

Only recommendation I'd make beyond that is to ask the owner if he'll take the car to an independant 3rd party mechanic (Preferably a P-car specific mechanic) for a pre-purchase inspection. It'll be the best $150-200 you'll spend.

Mike
Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Jim: This deal was an OOPS....miscommunication. The fellow said he meant $68K rather than $58K so I didn't even go to see or drive it. I wasn't hot on the color combo anyway....and it removed the temptation kuz when it comes to a TT.....I'm weak.....Lord hep me I'm weak!!.

Quick Reply: How's this sound for an 02 tt?