Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 with 5K miles or 2001 with 33K

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:58 AM
RdRunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

69K 5K miles, is way worth it, at that point the car is practically brand new and bearly broken in. For $12K less you get to worry about the car previous 33K miles history, condition, tranny recall, plus when you reach 33K miles with the 02, you will realize that the $12K extra was well worth it...
Old 05-21-2007, 02:16 AM
BMo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, for 12k (maybe less) extra, go for the hardly-driven car!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 AM
photo25
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, now I am back to the 2002 with 5K miles. I have seen my 99-996 eat up lots of maintance $$ very fast. So if I had purchased a 33K mile TT by 50K next year a few $$ in repairs would offset the newer one.

It's hard to predict the future costs and unknown ghosts
that follow the mechanicals.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Pepper
Maybe it is just me, but it seems self-destructive to urge potential 996tt buyers to pay lower and lower prices for our cars. Many here seem willing to pronounce the value of cars which they have neither seen nor driven. What is the benefit to you, a current owner of a 996tt to suggest the price is too high? Perhaps the car is owned by another Rennlister who is as fanatical about caring for this magnificant machine as are we.

Sure, when I bought mine I looked for the best deal. I also want the best deal when I sell it, don"t you?

We should encourage 'newbies' with information on what to look for in a good tt and how to make wise purchase decisions regarding PPI and type 2 over revs etc. I say leave the pricing to the two parties and the market place.

Why unnecessairly shoot ourselves in our own turbo-feet?

Tom
Tom, I think you're missing the point of this board. We all engage in this discussion to help one another and to exchange information about something we all enjoy. Pricing is obviously critical information to any buyer and seller as he/she consides a transaction, so why on Earth would you suggest not to talk about it here? So you can get enjoy a higher price when you sell your car? That approach-- witholding information in the hope that you will somehow benefit-- is squarley at odds with the purpose and spirit of this board. If it's not-- and your view is the majority one around here-- then I'm the one who is missing something, my apologies. GBG
Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

2002 for sure!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:48 PM
tdub
Instructor

no brainer.

I was in the same position 6 months ago.

I bought th 02 with 5k on it.

still smelled new inside and the previous owner was fanatical about the car.

I basically got a brand new car with someone else taking the hit on it.

With the older, higher mileage car you will eat up the savings with mantenience.

tw
Old 05-22-2007, 08:03 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom Pepper
Maybe it is just me, but it seems self-destructive to urge potential 996tt buyers to pay lower and lower prices for our cars. Many here seem willing to pronounce the value of cars which they have neither seen nor driven. What is the benefit to you, a current owner of a 996tt to suggest the price is too high? Perhaps the car is owned by another Rennlister who is as fanatical about caring for this magnificant machine as are we.

Sure, when I bought mine I looked for the best deal. I also want the best deal when I sell it, don"t you?

We should encourage 'newbies' with information on what to look for in a good tt and how to make wise purchase decisions regarding PPI and type 2 over revs etc. I say leave the pricing to the two parties and the market place.

Why unnecessairly shoot ourselves in our own turbo-feet?

Tom
If someone asks me what a certain car would likely change hands for in the marketplace, I'm going to tell them the truth. They came to me for advice, why not offer it as truthfully as I'm able? I'm not going to protect my own interests at the expense of someone else's, at least not in this case.

The market will dictate the price regardless of what we say. It's sort of a chicken and the egg problem. Are the prices that low because we think they are, or do we think they are because that's what the market has said?

A lot of the 996 NA guys often reply to threads asking what a car is worth with astronomical figures, or figures that compare to asking prices. Both can be very different from what cars are actually changing hands for.

Bottom line, I see little incentive, financial or otherwise, not to give an honest answer. I don't even think such responses influence the market that much.

Edit: GBG, just saw your reply.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:30 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

I still have mine for sale 01 all stock 8.900 miles with one year warranty left for 70,000. Arctic silver 6 speed.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:59 AM
Jon Elliott
Advanced

get the 02. at $.53 per mile, this is a great deal for the premium. resale over 45K miles takes a beating so take the lower mile car and enjoy the miles without worry.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

Apparently it is just me.

Appreciate the feed back

Tom :
Old 05-24-2007, 09:43 AM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom-- GREAT reply! I really mean that. Lots of lesser men would've immediately come out swinging.

Quick Reply: 2002 with 5K miles or 2001 with 33K