Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:05 PM
chucky0431
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Good day everyone,
I'm in the final steps on buying a 04 911 turbo with 10k miles on it. I'm very interested in joining your community here online and make friends with all of you, and also I want to see if I can get advice on a early stage like this already.

The asking price for the car is 83500, i test drove it and for me it seems fine with no problem. But as some friend told me, is to go and ask for a ppi inspection from porsche or so, type I and II. That I will be asking the dealer that has the car tomorrow. Here is a link of the actual car that I tested. Also the previous owner was from the "bacardi" family here in Miami, and traded it in for a gallardo or so.
Whatever comments or tips is appreciated.
Thank you,

Ricardo de Freitas
Old 05-06-2007, 01:39 PM
sandvik951
Intermediate

Where is the link ?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:56 PM
chucky0431
6th Gear

Oo i'm sorry, I thought I posted it again, it didn't let me do it the first time. Its bache4cars . I'm writing it like that so it will go. At the bottom you'll see porsche, click in it, and it will direct you to another page, there you'll see the 04 911 turbo.
Thx again,
Old 05-06-2007, 02:12 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Originally Posted by sandvik951
Where is the link ?
the missing link

Jeff
Old 05-06-2007, 05:01 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chucky,

I am in the same situation: looking into several TTs, fighting busy schedule at work and home, so not prroceeding at the speed of light, but I am trying to find "The One...."

PPI is a must. You said you will be asking the dealer that has the car tomorrow: you don't mean getting the PPI from the dealer that's selling the car, right? That would not be the most trustworthy PPI.

Find a reputable Porsche specialty independent shop to do the PPI. Especially ones that do not also sell cars. Expect about $250 to $500. Compression and leakdown tests will cost a lot more for a turbo: access is harder because of the intercoolers. Most shops have told me it'll take an additional 1-3 hours to take the bumper, intervoolers off to do the compression test.

Some reputable shops (Pat Williams Racing in Memphis, for one) have told me they're not sure it's worth it to pay another $300+ for the effort to partly disassemble the rear end just to do the compression/leakdown, if everything else like diagnostics data checks out good and it's a low mile car.

The way I see it: If the shop mechanics are telling me to not hand over $300+ to them, I think there's some truth to their rationale, but opinions on the absolute necessity of compression/leakdown test (or even which to do: compression or leakdown??) differ depend on whom you ask. I say: find reputable mechanics through word of mouth, and trust them, rather than try to play auto doctor on your own and dictate what they do.

PPI will at least give you the peace of mind as much as you can expect for a used car, and may uncover issues that can help you decide to pass up the car.

Good luck, and if you get the car I hope it's a great one and may I join you soon!
Old 05-06-2007, 08:13 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally, I think a PPI is a great idea, but you will get 90% of what you need to know from the service records (which the dealer can pull down) and reading the DME for over-revs (Type II).
As you should still have considerable warranty coverage, maintaining that by ascertaining no abuse, CPU mod, or track history will get you thru most expensive repairs. To me, the dealer certification with extended warranty is worth having, and exceeds the value of the PPI. But, you need the DME read first to negate the risk of voiding of the warranty when it is read later. AS
Old 05-06-2007, 08:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chucky0431
Also the previous owner was from the "bacardi" family here in Miami, and traded it in for a gallardo or so.
Was the previous owner Jorge, who also owns the Ocala Gran Prix track?
He's a good guy.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:14 PM
GoneWTW
Intermediate

Default Certification

Nice looking car.

Certification on a TT is the right approach. I think in your case a problem exists in that p car dealer needs to own the car before they can certify...don't believe bache4cars is a authorized dealer. Certification typically runs $2-2.5K

Have P car dealer run service history at a minimum and do Carfax.

Great price with large CF Package and HRE's.

Good Luck
Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 PM
chucky0431
6th Gear

I checked the carfax for the bache4cars tt, and there is nothing bad for it. Should I jsut call P and ask them to run the Vin number? P has a 2003 with 11k, no navi, 19" wheels "don't know the brand and model", carbon interior, and the paint as they say perfect, was measured with bla bla bla, asking 79 for it. But I love the gray more, and I only have about 3 days to buy one before I leave to China, so tomorrow has to be the big day.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:36 AM
monabaker
Pro

Those rims are HRE's.....Very expensive, very sexy.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM
GoneWTW
Intermediate

Default Buy the '04

Buy the '04..Better to go directly to P dealer and ask service
tech to run VIN...they might not respond well to phone call request.

With that mileage not much will show up unless major problem...car not
even scheduled for oil change yet.

Great car buy it.

Good Luck
Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 PM
chucky0431
6th Gear

You mean after i buy it I go the the P dealer?
Today I'm waiting for a call from a friend that knows a friend that works a P dealer, and let them run the Vin for the 04.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 PM
GoneWTW
Intermediate

Default 04 TT Buy

Before....you buy....friend should work
Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 AM
BMo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks very nice. I see no mention of suspension mods but the car looks low. Springs? Coilovers? PPI for sure. It's worth the $300 when your spending 70 to 80K.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 PM
chucky0431
6th Gear

Just got an answer from the car. It was last serviced in Feb this year. Car is perfect, never had a problem, just a bat change because it isn't driven much. So guess tomorrow if everything is right, it'll be mine.

Quick Reply: Newbie