Sponsored by:

Speedo Display Screen Flashing - help / advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 AM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speedo Display Screen Flashing - help / advice

My multi-function display in lower half of the tach (not the individual LED's elsewhere in the cluster) is on the "blink"....literally.

It's fine when cold but seems to loose it as it gets electrically warm (5-15 minutes).

The failure sequence is that it starts to flash on/off, then the text may rotate upside down, but eventually it goes dark. It the whole screen, not justy part of it. I'm guessing it's some kind of op-amp or similar driver and not the display screen itself. Using the oil level check accelerates things as it seems to draw more juice.

If anyone has been there before, please advise. THANKS.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This sounds related to your other problem PSM lights, no?

I'd get it down to a tech to hook up the PST2 and get a read on what's going on.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:58 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like a loose connection or the module is going bad...
Old 04-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

That happened to my 996Na
Dealer replaced the cluster under warranty.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:13 PM
MK19
Racer

Yes.....It's pretty clearly the cluster (connectors checke/pins inspected), but I'm hunting for a repair rather than a replacement.
MK
Old 04-15-2007, 03:39 AM
skideals
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find a repair for a similar problem so ended up buying a 2nd hand one.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:51 PM
MK19
Racer

Problem solved; Thanks for all help.
Here's what I learned:
- the problem was the LCD screen itself (even though I'd have sworn is was some kind of power driver or other input since the screen lit ok but would turn upside down and other crazy stuff)
- The screen is an easy plug and play replacement ( 1.5 x 3" glass, snap in to frame, ribbon wire into snap in/out connector)
- The whole cluster comes apart easily. Care taken not to move the needles around on the gages or else you have to drive to to re-position them.
- There are 3 of the ribbon wire connectors; each has a snap/up/down "collet' type of frame; carefully pull it out (just a bit or you'll break it) on both ends and then the ribbon slides out. Reverse it to connect.
- There are several circuit boards in there; but the "main board", which is the one with the LCD screen on it is the one with the barins and the memory of mileage etc. It can be swapped complete too.....but the mileage moves with the board.
-Having now played with a few of these you can;
a) adjust/calibrate the fuel gage just by moving the needle, and the "low light changes too"
b) all the other gage needles can be calibrated in the same way, but the LED Speed is electronnically calibraded and I can't find a way to adjust it.
That is a problem for me as mine reads 3-4 MPH high (to the tach and to external speed radars in my area).

Quick Reply: Speedo Display Screen Flashing - help / advice