Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many Turbo owners have spent time in a Cayman-S ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:08 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MK19
To answer the other questions above; my '02 996TT is stock except chipped and ported headers. I was running Yokahama Neovas ( nice, near R compound tire, but poor street choice), the Cayman S was on bald, OE Pilot Sports (that were nearly melting of his fronts, better in the rear).

And yes, he may well have been a far better driver......but I've done track events in my 911's for 25 years and rank myself as pretty good.
makes you wonder what the CaymanS would have done on fresh MPSC's...and why Porsche puts an inexplicably tall 1st gear in it.
This car could be allot more than Porsche is willing to allow it to be.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
makes you wonder what the CaymanS would have done on fresh MPSC's...
It depends. Given the same rubber compound, the more of the tire that's touching the ground the better the grip. In this case it would be a trade off between the advantage "surface area" provides (the Pilot Sports) versus the advantage "rubber compounds" provide (the MPSC).
Old 03-12-2007, 04:31 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dock
It depends. Given the same rubber compound, the more of the tire that's touching the ground the better the grip. In this case it would be a trade off between the advantage "surface area" provides (the Pilot Sports) versus the advantage "rubber compounds" provide (the MPSC).
THe MPSC are faster , period than ANY regular, bald or not, Pilot Sport, provided that they have sufficient temps. I also find it amusing that you suggest a upgraded suspension on the 996tt to pull ahead.........you should compare stock vs stock or modded vs modded. On a tight course where the 996tt cannot use its superior power the Cayman WILL match it. I suggest you drive a suspension modified Cayman with R rubber vs a similar modded 996tt and you will be surprised that the big hp car is doing squat.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
THe MPSC are faster , period than ANY regular, bald or not, Pilot Sport, provided that they have sufficient temps.
Thanks for the air-tight, final word answer.

Originally Posted by pole position
I also find it amusing that you suggest a upgraded suspension on the 996tt to pull ahead..........
And I find it amusing that you think I said that...

Quick Reply: How many Turbo owners have spent time in a Cayman-S ?