Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty- Yes or No ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:37 AM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
OK, Maybe I'm a bit behind the times... Belt and suspenders???

I'm 40, I still riding mountain bikes, bicycles and motorcycles, and still wrench on my track car... So, please explain belt and suspenders... I bought a warranty and went "ala cart" on it because it was a modified and fairly unknown entity at the time...

Mike
Belt and suspenders=double protection against same harm (pants falling down)=more than one needs.

I take the minority view on this one. The chief benefit of a warranty-- in my view-- is peace of mind, which cannot be measured so precisely with $$ and cents. When you have no warranty, i suggest that you tend to baby your car EVEN MORE than the typical babying (drive less or drive with less spirit) which tends to lead to less enjoyment of your car. Not a good thing.

I say get the Gold standard warranty (assuming it's a reputable and reliable company) and know that you are protected, and then go drive the hell out of the car. Worste case scenario is that 3 years later (or whatever length of time) you say "hey, all I got for my $4000 was peace of mind"-- that's not a bad purchase. GBG
Old 03-02-2007, 03:16 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I may be misunderstanding.
Are you saying these companies will write 'extended warrantys' on a Porsche for which the OE warranty has already expired?.......unusual, and if it's true, how long 'out of warranty' will they accept?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:03 PM
FLB03TT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GreggT: When purchasing a used, out of warrany Porsche from a dealer- either Porsche dealer or independent- extended warranties are available from many different companies. I don't think, however, that you can purchase and extended warranty on your present P-car after it's factory warranty has expired.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:30 AM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLB03TT
GreggT: When purchasing a used, out of warrany Porsche from a dealer- either Porsche dealer or independent- extended warranties are available from many different companies. I don't think, however, that you can purchase and extended warranty on your present P-car after it's factory warranty has expired.
I'm not sure about that. Unless Pcar's are treated differently-- and they might be, not sure-- you can indeed purhase an extended warranty for you your car AFTER the factory warranty is expired. You can't purchase a factory warranty, but an aftermarket warranty from another warranty company, yes, you bet.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:20 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG
I'm not sure about that. Unless Pcar's are treated differently-- and they might be, not sure-- you can indeed purhase an extended warranty for you your car AFTER the factory warranty is expired. You can't purchase a factory warranty, but an aftermarket warranty from another warranty company, yes, you bet.
That's good to know.......I tried to do that with both the C4 and the Turbo, tried 4 or 5 companies unsuccessfully......but that was almost 2 yrs ago.....no doubt things have changed.

And.....if there was any doubt in Murphy's Law........12 months later, cam chain popped on C4............I'm almost done with break-in on new engine.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
OK, Maybe I'm a bit behind the times... Belt and suspenders???

I'm 40, I still riding mountain bikes, bicycles and motorcycles, and still wrench on my track car... So, please explain belt and suspenders... I bought a warranty and went "ala cart" on it because it was a modified and fairly unknown entity at the time...

Mike
Belt and suspenders both do the same thing....hold your pants up. it is used as an analogy relative to two things doing the same thing. Overkill
How bout guilding the lilly??
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 AM
manalex
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Mercury, if I recall price was about $2,500 for their top of the line, NO DEDUCTIBLE Option, with the most coverage. I think they call it Platinum Level. There are also cheaper options. I understand that they are a reputable company-I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

I bought an '02 with just over 7k miles on it last August. The contract is for 60 months, 60k miles. If you do not plan on modding the car (I know that's a big "IF" on this forum) and limit your activities to DEs and Autocross the warranty still applies (my interpretation). This fit my particular needs. I figured that the odds of having something go wrong between now and 60k miles, given the age of the car, was more likely than not. We all know when it goes wrong, it goes wrong in a very expensive way and that $2,500 bucks will seem like a pretty good investment.

Also, it is pretty tough to find a company that is willing to do cars with AWD and turbos, the list gets pretty short.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Alex
Old 04-29-2010, 01:50 PM
C32
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

It's been three years now.

How many of you that posted have used your warranty successfully?

Still worth it in the end?

My AMG car has had over $20,000 worth of work in less than a year. YES 20k! Chrysler warranty has covered ALL of it. I'm only out $400 total for my deducatlbe.

I wish Chrysler covered Porsches
Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm I dont think I would ever buy a AMG again
Old 04-29-2010, 02:06 PM
C32
Advanced

The car has been great! VERY fast and luxurious. It's not meant to be a sports car. The warranty has been a life saver. It's allowed me to own a $130k car and not worry about the cost to fix it.

I'm looking at an 02 996TT 6 speed. I don't want to buy a money pit and it looks like the aftermarket warranties don't pay out at all with these cars.... sad since I really like the car.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by C32
The car has been great! VERY fast and luxurious. It's not meant to be a sports car. The warranty has been a life saver. It's allowed me to own a $130k car and not worry about the cost to fix it.

I'm looking at an 02 996TT 6 speed. I don't want to buy a money pit and it looks like the aftermarket warranties don't pay out at all with these cars.... sad since I really like the car.
Maybe I'm missing something in your post here, but it seems to make no sense to me. You say your Benz has been great - with over $20k in repairs in a year? Not my idea of great. Maybe the warranty has been great, but the car sounds like a POS.

I also don't understand why an extended warranty would be the deciding factor for a car that is fairly bulletproof. I don't think the 996TT is a money pit at all if you take care of it. The vast majority of Porsches live a good life and never cause any trouble.

If the warranty is that important to you, find one that is good and buy the 996TT. There are plenty of decent companies that will sell you a warranty. Odds are you'll never need it - that's how the warranty companies make their money, and their actuarial tables are better than yours.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:40 PM
C32
Advanced

My car isn't a POS it's VERY expensive to fix an AMG car. Your post was a waste of time.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:11 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by C32
My car isn't a POS it's VERY expensive to fix an AMG car. Your post was a waste of time.
Ummm..okay.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:08 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Maybe I'm missing something in your post here, but it seems to make no sense to me. You say your Benz has been great - with over $20k in repairs in a year? Not my idea of great. Maybe the warranty has been great, but the car sounds like a POS.

I also don't understand why an extended warranty would be the deciding factor for a car that is fairly bulletproof. I don't think the 996TT is a money pit at all if you take care of it. The vast majority of Porsches live a good life and never cause any trouble.

If the warranty is that important to you, find one that is good and buy the 996TT. There are plenty of decent companies that will sell you a warranty. Odds are you'll never need it - that's how the warranty companies make their money, and their actuarial tables are better than yours.
Great post.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty- Yes or No ??