Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 996TT - What should I be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 10:56 AM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Considering a 996TT - What should I be aware of?

So, I currently own a 99 c2 aero and I really enjoy it. So far I have upgraded it with 19" carrera S wheels, PSE, intake and Navigation but it still has left me wanting a little more power and all wheel drive for the wet and snow we occasionally get here in Maryland.

I am aware of the RMS issues and grenading engines associated with the 996 NA but are their anythings I should be aware of with the TT HONESTLY?

For example - rebuilding turbos (what mileage), expensive maintence items, things to look for in a used 01-02 TT with 30K (I heard about the 2nd gear pop out), what about the over rev?

Thanks for all of your help as I am very new to the 996TT world!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be interested in any feedback from the 996TT learned, too.. I also am looking at buying an 01 tip turbo with 25,000 miles. I understand two of the significant worries, namely the 2nd gear pop-out and the type 2 over revs are diminished with the automatic gear box. It also seems the 964/GT1 derived motor is very strong and reliable, with fewer problems like RMS and engine grenading. I can live with no glove box.

Good luck to both of us,

Tom
Old 01-19-2007, 05:18 PM
tdub
Instructor

The biggest worry is that you'll be smiling so much driving it that it may cause permanent wrinkling of the face. Oh, and the acceleration will push your eyeballs back inside your head. That looks kinda funny sometimes.

TW

02 996TT
99 Vehicross
03 MDX
f350 4x4
Gone: lotsa 911's
Old 01-20-2007, 10:29 PM
C DeVito
Racer

I am also looking for a TT and from what I learned 2 gear Pop and Type 2 overrevs are only a concern on the 6 speed and there is a long post explaining how to interpret the numbers from the PPI.

Thread title: Type 1 and Type 2 Over-revs

I've found it's not so easy to get the numbers though. It's taken me 3 days to explain what I wanted, get the only tech who can do the test and I still don't have the number from the dealer because the service manager has to interpret the results on Monday. LOL. I hope that isn't a bad sign.

The TIP seems like a bullet proof tranny from all my research. Unfortunately I'd rather drive the 6spd. The engine is the GT1 derived block and doesn't have the RMS leak issues and seems to be very strong.

Check for binding windows, and inoperative rear wings pistons. The 03 with 8K miles I'm looking at had both of these problems. Another suggestion I picked up was ask for the engine hours and make sure they make sense versus the displayed mileage.

Tom:
There is a beautiful CPO 02 Guards red/blk sport seats w/Tip in Cherry Hill, NJ at the Porsche dealer there. I drove it last weekend and it is VERY nice.

Good Luck all!
Carmen

Quick Reply: Considering a 996TT - What should I be aware of?