Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 996TT Connecting Rod Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:59 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did not quote an experienced tech time, I quoted a DIYer. Consider this. A normal old school 911 is about 55 hours to rebuild. Now consider the difference between the 996/997TT and the old school motors. Could it take YOU 100 hours....you bet ya. If you were just slapping parts in and not blueprinting then less, but how much is the question.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stephen, what time would you (roughly) estimate for Porsche Independant? PM if it's personal
Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

stephen, if you go back and read the post stevo's question was how long not how much. sorry, must have hit a sensitve area.

but let's be realistic stevo didn't inquire about any mods to the heads no bp just how long does it take kevin to change out rods with this short cut.

in my area there are many guys that are capable to do this, I doubt it would take them 100hrs. and I"m in so cal. let's be real here.

I'm sure if I were to do this myself it would atleast take 100hrs. how many hours would you bill for to do this job? $8k? just curious.

Last edited by Oak; 12-02-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

No sensitive spot. I answered your question. That is what I would expect you or Stevo to take in time. As far as your friends....well good luck in doing it that much quicker. The process that Kevin has shared is a reduction in 10-20 hours given the type of build you are doing. Again there is no clear cut answer to your question. What I do is not like most. You can have any shop do the motor and they can probably struggle through it but are they actually building it or just replacing parts? There are many pit falls to building this motor and unless you are use to it you will spend 6 hours trying to put the pistons and liners in. No joke. Can you do it, sure...but it is going to take some time. No way around it.

The cost of my engine builds are typically not just rods and head studs so unfortunately I am not a good base to tell you want a plain Jane assembly would cost. Why would you go through the trouble of tearing the motor apart and not go through the valve train? Check the springs, guides, face the valves, touch up the stems, replace the tappets and so on?? Not skirting the issue but I do so much more than just put a motor together. FWIW Kevin is the same way. Each job is individually looked at and I have never had one person say just slap it together. So 8K is not going to get it.

Also, FWIW many of the hot rod CA builders send their motors out to be
done
Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Ok, I get what you are saying, can I ask a quick question then.

If I come to you with my engine on a crate and I asked nicely to upgrade my Rods ONLY!

How long in hours would you roughly estimate without running into any issues (I don't wish to know cost)

Again PM me if you want to.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:21 AM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

Who's on first...
Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

well for some of us that have very low miles and don't want or need head work may just want to upgrade the rods. I don't see what the big deal is in just asking what you would charge in labor and time for such a job. I was just curious as if you do this type of work all the time why you can't just say what it is, after all it is what it is.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Wow...!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:15 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Oak
well for some of us that have very low miles and don't want or need head work may just want to upgrade the rods. I don't see what the big deal is in just asking what you would charge in labor and time for such a job. I was just curious as if you do this type of work all the time why you can't just say what it is, after all it is what it is.
I think you are missing the point. Low mileage or not there are things that should be done and the heads are one of them. I build engines not just throw parts in them. So I would not just add rods. Sorry I have no answer to the generic question offered. I would hope that you nor anyone else would settle for the type of job you are requesting. Especially you Oak.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:15 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Stephen, I know what you are saying, but that's not the question, I'm sorry I'm not being awkward here (seriously)! Even if you added additional parts/mods into the equation you could subtract them and come up with a rough answer. I don't care about prices etc! you telling me in all these years of working on these motors you could not give me a rough idea, Cmon man! we have talked many times I have the upmost respect for you and Kevin. I would rather you both turn round to me and say I don't want to disclose this information to you, it's confidential within the company instead of always side stepping the question. Listen! if it's causing grief don't bother I honestly don't wish to fall out over it and PM me.

As I say again IT'S NOT THE COST but TIME involved (and at a Rough guess)
Old 12-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

stephen, thanks for taking the time, just wanted an estimate on time and labor that's all. peripherial stuff is always extra. figured if you have done this for ever you would be able to give us a solid estimate on time and labor. most builders I have dealt with generally itemize in detail time to shop rates. pretty simple.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Maybe there is no answer, I would rather just let it lie now, think I have hit a raw nerve!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

damn steve, ........you ball buster.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Mark61
1st Gear

I know this is an old thread but the original post had pictures of the cam tensioner being removed. I am trying to figure out what way the oil hole faces up or down on a 996tt engine. This is the right side bank 4-6??

Quick Reply: DIY 996TT Connecting Rod Replacement