Sponsored by:

Considering New Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:42 PM
porschedude996TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering New Exhaust System

I came across this exhaust system on ebay and I am considering a purchase. The kit includes headers, Cat's, Mufflers, and Tips. Unlike may systems that I have seen, this also includes the headers made of 304 Stainless Steel.

Does anyone know anything about these or this company? The company name is "Maxspeed-Motorsport". He has a current approval rating of 99.7 out of 100.

I emailed the seller and requested a sound clip, but he doesn't have one yet. He says that he has these made for him, implying that these are not sold by anyone else. I also asked for a name of someone who I could contact that has bought one and installed.

I have yet to see any data on the claims of 40hp increase over stock.

My fear is that this thing would resonate like a banshee and spoil my fun.

Exhaust System on Ebay

Thanks for any comments, Keith
Old 12-31-2006, 03:23 PM
golfguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a great deal with headers, tips, exhaust and cats for that price.

However, I would not risk my car to be the beta tester for this system. the 100 cel cats are a big danger sign as they will trigger the obd-ii / check engine light unless the ecu is reprogrammed. do a search on "100 cel" for details; this was discussed extensively on the 997 turbo forum.

otherwise ask for several customer references or see if maxspd will deal with one of the respected tuning gurus here like ImagineAuto and SharkWerks.

copied from ebay ad ...
Brand New MAXSPEED full complete Stainless Steel exhaust for any Porsche 996 Twin Turbo includes GT2 and X50. Includes Headers, Mufflers/Cats and Tips. Get ready for more power , deeper tone from this exhaust at both idling and wide open throttle and finally improved handling because of the weight reduction. System is a direct bolt-on no modifications necessary will use factory mounting points for an hassle free installation. This whole system has been designed around the turbocharged engine, less backpressure so those turbos can spool up faster , headers designed with racing merge collectors for best performance and exhaust flow, cats are 100 Cell metallic cores. Full polished T304 Stainless Steel, robot tig-welded for perfect welds that will last. Life warranty for original owner against any defects. HP Gains 40+ on stock 996TT possibly more on modified 996TT. Significant weight reduction for better handling. Currently at promotional price for a limited time, our normal retail $2299.99 buy it today and save $500 , this promotion is available for a limited time only
Old 12-31-2006, 07:59 PM
vyper340
Pro

It would be interesting to hear about how this system compares to the others. The big issue could be the sound (drone)...
Old 12-31-2006, 10:33 PM
cpu77
Instructor

Very reasonably priced I have been looking at this system.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:11 AM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Don`t do it boys
There`s stuff out there that works! That`s what you should be buying
Old 01-16-2007, 07:09 PM
vyper340
Pro

Anyone buy it and try it out yet????
Old 01-16-2007, 08:35 PM
underpsi
Instructor

it seems like people are always so skeptical when products are reasonably priced, i'm not saying this item is good or bad but why doubt the product when you haven't tried it?? I know Sharkwerks and IA are popular companies but they are current Fabspeed product retailers; won't there be a conflict of interest and especially at almost half the price??!!

The exhaust "looks" good but i think all turbo systems should be made out of ss 321 grade or better regardless of manufacturer.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Try it and let us know.

I have spent close to $10K trying out exhuast systems.

I hope you have better luck

MK
Old 01-16-2007, 10:40 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Personally, I would stick with a known manufacturer like Europipe or CarGraphic. It is a great price but what if the drone is terrible or the welds suck? You've wasted a lot of money. I was also told to stick with 200 cell cats as to not get the CEL problem. I did A LOT of research before I bought mine and went with the CarGraphics. The sound is awesome and it doesn't drone. The five local shops that I talked to all agreed on one thing... if they were going to put an aftermarket exhaust on their own car it would be one of the two mentioned above. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

100 CEL cat's don't necessarily cause CELs. I ran a Europipe Stage 2 loud (with 100 cel cats) for a year on stock programming without a CEL. You best bet (no risk) is to find a used Europipe and look to pay about 3K.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Any updates?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 AM
porschedude996TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: I don't think I am going to buy this "Pig-In-A-Poke" even though it looks like a great deal. If the guy had some data on his exhaust system that I could compare to some known brand, I would consider a purchase. With only a few good words about the product from the seller and no return policy once it is installed, I am not willing to spin the wheel of fortune.

1st Email excerpt: “Hi thank you for your e-mail , we get these direct from manufacturer , the manufacturer makes exhaust systems for many companies we bring them in unbranded to save costs and offer better prices , you can put these next to any good quality system available like evo fabspeed and more.. I had a change to hear it live at a convention it sounds amazing adds some tone at idle and deeper tone wide open throttle nothing that sounds like a can but beautiful sound i'm working to put my hands on a sound clip soon. Hope to deal with you soon thanks.”

2nd Email excerpt: “Hi thank you for your e-mail, we got them last week, as mentioned in previous e-mail I had a chance to hear it on my last convention in las vegas in Nov sounded awesome, we sold one kit to a guy in california so far looks very good no bad feedback . I understand your concerns and unfortunetely I cannot answer all your questions with 100% accuracy , if i had a 996tt i could have done all the tests myself , such system would have not been made out of guessing. Sorry if i cannot be of much help at this time. Thank you”

This guy may never afford a 996TT if he doesn’t start doing some engineering support for his marketing. It may be a great product, but who knows. Maybe he would send me a loaner and I could perform a third analyzation and record some sound clips.

I am now skeptical of purchasing anything with a 100 cell per inch Cat. I see now that Honda is working with a 400 cell per inch Cat Converter. More does not mean that it will go faster or produce more HP; it just means that it could run cleaner and prevent any “Check Engine Lights” (CEL).
Old 01-19-2007, 11:15 AM
underpsi
Instructor

i don't think you need to go with 400 cell cats, many are fine with 150 or 200 cell cats.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your stock exhaust has a 400 CAT. That's what your trying to get away from.

The cheap 1 you showed looks a lot like the AWE (or whatever) exhaust. I saw a picture in "Excellence" or "GT Purely Porsche" add.

Last edited by Zippy; 01-20-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:35 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do these under DACH (search the 993 board for us and all the positive posts about our stuff). They're 200 cell sport cats. You're welcome to check them out separately here: metalcat.com.au
This set is obviously a muff bypass setup for track, but we can do just about anything.

Last edited by 993inNC; 02-06-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering New Exhaust System