Sponsored by:

Tiptronic error message

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:50 PM
alpha1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tiptronic error message

I have an '01 996tt Tip. Just today while backing up I heard a "beep" and saw a message on the dash computer display saying "gear selector disengaged" or something similar. The 4th gear light was flashing. From prior threads, I know this means some sort of transmission malfunction. I was moving fine in reverse, but I stopped, put the gear selector back in park, then reverse again and continued backing out of my parking space.

This happenned only once, and I haven't been able to reproduce it. I have CPO warranty until 10/07. Here's my question: should I take it into my dealer to have it looked at (even though I can't reproduce it)? Is there some error code stored that the dealer can find? Or should I just wait and see if it happens again? Basically, is it a sign of bad things to come, or just a solitary episode of computer glitch?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:37 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like a misadjusted shift cable
Old 12-05-2006, 12:02 AM
alpha1
Instructor

Thanks Brad, I knew you'd have some ideas. Better to take it in now, then wait until my warranty is almost over.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:54 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would agree
they should have a fault code stored and if so adjusting the cable is painless
Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 PM
alpha1
Instructor

Brad, thanks for your reply to my other post on the 996 board as well. Update -- dealer said no fault code stored, and that they "sometimes clear themselves". I asked the tech to "adjust the linkage" (he was a very nice guy), and he noted that he did so on the sheet. He said he put in a "PTEC" or something like that to PCNA, since he's not sure what the issue is and couldn't reproduce it (has only happened to me twice, so it's a very intermittent problem), but thinks it might be the PRND shifter itself. I just hope that if anything catastrophic happens with the transmission, that it happens before my CPO warranty runs out!

Quick Reply: Tiptronic error message