Interested in 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
archon007
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in 996TT

Hello Everyone
I'm interested in 01-02 996 Turbo. I've been driving a Honda 02 S2000 past 2 years and want to "move-up" if you will. I was debating between an 03-04 NSX and an 01-02 996 Turbo. The thing is I use to have a NSX. While I do have rather fond memories of the car I also want to try something new. I've always been fascinated with the Porsche TT so now I think I would like to go ahead and get one.
I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to Porsches. Now I understand there are no RMS issues with turbos? Any other major things to check beforehand? I'll do the PPI for sure, but any extra info/links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2006, 05:51 PM
bbywu
Instructor

I was in the same position, recently purchasing a 2002 996 TT with an X50 option. I elected for a used 2002 996 TT with 8500 miles and certified preowned warranty. I am nothing but stunned at the performance and handling of a car that is now nearly 4 years old.

Try and find a car with a CPO warranty. If not, make sure you have a dealership do a prepurchase inspection...Should cost about $125. Specifically asked them to check if the ECU has been rewritten (modified chip flashing) and the number of over rev's, type 1 and 2, that have been recorded. This is probably the best estimation on whether or not the car has been modified...

- bob
Old 11-13-2006, 06:15 PM
archon007
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply. Does the RMS issue apply to turbos?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:55 PM
RdRunner
Instructor

Originally Posted by archon007
Hello Everyone
I'm interested in 01-02 996 Turbo. I've been driving a Honda 02 S2000 past 2 years and want to "move-up" if you will. I was debating between an 03-04 NSX and an 01-02 996 Turbo. The thing is I use to have a NSX. While I do have rather fond memories of the car I also want to try something new. I've always been fascinated with the Porsche TT so now I think I would like to go ahead and get one.
I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to Porsches. Now I understand there are no RMS issues with turbos? Any other major things to check beforehand? I'll do the PPI for sure, but any extra info/links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Alright !!! it was about time for another HONDA fan to get on board... HRC and MUGEN all the way baby !!!!!

Well the TT is a lot different compared to the NSX even the 3.2L version. The whole feel of it is a bit new to me still, the clutch feels different, the turn and over steer is quiet different, I guess it's because it's not a mid engine like the NSX. Also the power delivery is VERY different. I'm not sure about the RMS issue on the 996TT since it came with the extended warranty....

I love the NSX and I still do (Danm I love it so much I just wish Honda would give it more PWR, what a shame, 14year span and they only gave it a face lift, gear and minor .2 liter change), but the TT is just a totally different animal. The TT seems to give you a big false sense of security, and solidness (but at least from the stock suspension point of view since it’s all I have) the rear end is a lot more tail happy than the NSX when going thru the turn. Another way to describe it, in the NSX you feel that you are riding the car (on top of it). But in the TT it's more like the car is all around you, hugging you... (I know huh.. I'm not making since for some of you). Another difference is that the front end of the TT doesn't feel as loose as the NSX when you are punching it. The stock suspension is a lot stiffer than the stock NSX, I'd say Stock TT was like the NSX with a set of soft Tien coilovers. On the TT it's very hard (I think it's impossible to do a heel and toe) due to the pedal position (but I'm still trying to find a way)... Actually has anyone on found a way to do it on the TT yet?

But don't worry, even though the TT RPM ends @ 6500, the TT climbs those RPMs faster than anything I have seen, (on a car I mean). Kind makes me wish I could have 8,000 rpm on a TT, that would be cool...

VTEC... well the TT has a similar thing, but instead of having a second set of cam lobes that kicks in when the NSX VTEC is triggered, what the TT do have is a second lobe inside the primary lobe that will "flicker it out after a certain load on the engine" acting like a vtec where it will increase the duration and lift to give you a higher power output. I been asking shops around, it doesn't seems to be RPM triggered like on the Hondas, so VTEC timer installation will be out of the question I guess....

All in all TT is totally a different car... and I love every moment driving it, but I wouldn't say I love it more than the NSX... or my Hondas... It's a Different kind of love......

Danm.... you bringing me back memories...... You'll like the TT ... :-)

-Ryan
Old 11-14-2006, 12:57 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the turbo engine is not the same as the 996 block. it is race derived from the GT1 car and similar to the GT2 GT3 with the dry sump. No RMS problems.
Awesome car!!!!! Go for it!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

I've also resolved myself to buy a 996TT. No RMS issues on TT engines indeed, but reading this board and 6speedonline has educated me that there's another problem looming on older TTs: transmissions failures. There's way too many owners with stock cars complaining of failed transmissions and 2nd gears popping out to dismiss this as a non-issue. The good news is that it seems that the problem was contained to a lower range of gearbox SNs.

Btw, if anyone has a manual 01-02 TT, seal, slate or blue, in excellent condition for sale in the SF Bay Area, pls pm me.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:27 AM
bdhill
Advanced

Default forgive my ingnorance...what are rms issues?

rms issues, not sure what that is.
thanks
Old 11-14-2006, 08:38 AM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

rear main seal
Old 11-14-2006, 08:54 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ze_shark
I've also resolved myself to buy a 996TT. No RMS issues on TT engines indeed, but reading this board and 6speedonline has educated me that there's another problem looming on older TTs: transmissions failures. There's way too many owners with stock cars complaining of failed transmissions and 2nd gears popping out to dismiss this as a non-issue. The good news is that it seems that the problem was contained to a lower range of gearbox SNs.

Btw, if anyone has a manual 01-02 TT, seal, slate or blue, in excellent condition for sale in the SF Bay Area, pls pm me.
failed transmissions are rarely a defect in the machine but more often a deftect of driving
Old 11-14-2006, 01:03 PM
charleysung
Intermediate

I also owned 2 NSXs before recently purchasing my 2001 TT. The TT is a much nicer car -- it is super fast, handles great, and has a lot of amenities. But, in terms of pure driving thrill, I still prefer the NSX. The NSX has a tightness and precision that my TT just does not have. And the sound of the engine sounds a lot better than my TT. I think an NSX with a Comptech or Bosch supercharger and a BBK may very well be the perfect car. For those TT owners who have never driven an NSX, give it a shot. You may be surprised.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 PM
4afewdollarsmore
8th Gear

Originally Posted by archon007
Hello Everyone

Thanks
How do you like your S2000? I am thinking of picking one up. thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 07:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bdhill
rms issues, not sure what that is.
thanks
Wander into the 996 or 986 forum and ask what an RMS is then run away.

Some have had 3-4 RMS replacements, 'new' (actually remanufactured) engines....PAG has resorted to using the Cayenne RMS (which is very similar to the 928 RMS).....after redesigning the insertion tool twice.....to get the situation under control....

Very ugly situation early on.

As Tom mentioned, the 996TT, 996 GT2 and 996 GT3 all use the same block, the same one derived from the 98 GT1 Le Mans winner; IIRC the designation was M64/GT1 block or M64/1 block.....one of the last carryover items from the 'aircooled days'.....I cried when the person who used to make the wooden floorboards finally retired.....still have a new set of wooden floorboards in the Cup car as a reminder.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:44 PM
RdRunner
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4afewdollarsmore
The S2K is a great commuter car, you can ring the neck out of it (since it's low torque and HP under low RPMs), and still very very reliable... it's tons of fun for a normal aspirated 4 cycinder. Did I mention it's also very low maintance? I mean the engine is right there, "unlike the TT where is stuffed somewhere in the trunk " But yeah, it's a really easy car to work on, and perform maintances and mod it, so you can beat on it some more....

So I guess the only draw back it's a high rev car, so you really need to rev it up there before getting some juice out of it. But nothing a Comptech supercharger can't cure....

Well, that is just my opinion.. Did I mention I'm a honda die hard fan??

Mugen !!! HRC !! baby !!
Old 11-15-2006, 04:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4afewdollarsmore
Have you considered a 968 Cabriolet?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:02 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lewis, I love your posts!!

Charley I dont think comparing the TT to a much lighter NSX is really apples to apples.
Must admit I run with several NSX's race prepared and man they are fast!!

Quick Reply: Interested in 996TT