Sponsored by:

Brembos Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 11:07 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brembos Installed

I have had them on for a week now and have broken the pads in!! These things can really stop!!
I got the 15" 2-piece 8-piston fronts and 14" 2-piece floating rears with cutom PORSCHE lettering and hats in anodized silver. Other than better stopping, these things look sick.
Check out some pics in my signature.
Next two upgrades (be done by end of May) are the PSS-9 and an exhaust (still deliberating which one to get - my friend with an 02 lapis TT gets his Tubi on Monday so I will use him as my lab rat - lol).
Old 05-13-2003, 11:25 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
what a piece of artwork man. Those things are just gorgeous. Sounds like they stop as good as they look to so that's a HUGE plus. Just beautifull!

question, can you only fit 19's under there? Clearence looks close

Those things are going to be ALOT of fun on the track!
Old 05-14-2003, 12:50 AM
Pete.
Banned

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by msindi:
[QB]I have had them on for a week now and have broken the pads in!! These things can really stop!!
I got the 15" 2-piece 8-piston fronts and 14" 2-piece floating rears with cutom PORSCHE lettering and hats in anodized silver. Other than better stopping, these things look sick.
[QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Please explain "better stopping."

This should be interesting.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:05 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 questions...

1. If I can ABS the standard brakes on my 996 with hot pads and hot R compound tires, what good are these really going to do for me?

2. What are you doing with your old parts?
Old 05-14-2003, 03:53 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Ok, one reply at a time
soon2be - I looked into getting a set of 20s but the problem is that the rear whell/tire is already really close to the part behind the door and the side skirts. 20" tires are also a lot more expensive and do not come in as many widths as 19s. In addition, I plan on doing PSS-9s so need some space.
Pete - Unfortuntely, I have not tracked the car yet. However, I tried a few stops from 85 MPH and the stopping distances are amazing. Also, in daily street driving, the pedal effort required is less than stock and the pedal feel/response is much better.
Ed - bigger rotors generally mean better heat dissipation and hence less pad wear. I am trying to sell my stock brakes as a complete kit (calipers, rotors, pads, sensors, bolts and lines), they have about 800 miles on them!
Old 05-14-2003, 06:58 AM
cobra06
Pro

So you're saying if you locked up the brakes before you installed the new brakes, it would take longer to stop.
Sorry, all too wishful, buy a Gtech and get some real numbers.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:44 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by cobra06:
<strong>So you're saying if you locked up the brakes before you installed the new brakes, it would take longer to stop.
Sorry, all too wishful, buy a Gtech and get some real numbers.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">real #'s w/ a gtech? hahaha

and msindi, I was talking about what you could fit over the brakes. Can you slap on 18's for a track day, is there enough clearence?
Old 05-14-2003, 01:10 PM
Pete.
Banned

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by msindi:
<strong>Pete - Unfortuntely, I have not tracked the car yet. However, I tried a few stops from 85 MPH and the stopping distances are amazing. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">You should have stuck to the "I'm getting them because they look cool" bit.

It's good to see that the placebo effect is alive and well.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:00 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

That is one of the main reasons I got them (looks) - I am not denying it. As I mentioned in different posts, I do not track (yet) and am modding my car mainly because I have never done anything to any of the other 3 996s I have owned (other than B&M and K&N). Ultimate goal is to have "sickes" best-looking TT in Boston and to be able to smoke anyone at a red light!
The hobbystage site of the step-by-step process is an additional perk
Old 05-14-2003, 02:11 PM
cobra06
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">real #'s w/ a gtech? hahaha </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">And your basing your reply based on experience with the new GTech??... Sorry , you're wrong, accurate braking times and other data can be made with the Gtech Pro. And I guess using "feels like it stops better" is a more accurate way to quantify something in your opinion
Old 05-14-2003, 02:48 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by cobra06:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">real #'s w/ a gtech? hahaha </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">And your basing your reply based on experience with the new GTech??... Sorry , you're wrong, accurate braking times and other data can be made with the Gtech Pro. And I guess using "feels like it stops better" is a more accurate way to quantify something in your opinion</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I only have experience testing w/ the old one. I had a buddy who built a GN that was tested by hot rod a few years back and everything was off.

I've even ran down the track w/ the old one and the numbers were pretty far off. But I have heard good improvements on the new one, personally I still don't trust it.

But to answer your question i don't think "feels like it stops better" is accurate either. Honestly, I doubt his stopping distance improved more then a couple of feet from any distance, but to be able to brake from 150 multiple times in a row will be alot of fun for these brakes

Quick Reply: Brembos Installed